!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Losing Directional Lights on N Gauge Locos  (Read 461 times)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Losing Directional Lights on N Gauge Locos
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »
Usually AC input to the CDU as that's the common type of aux output from a controller. It'll take DC input if you get the polarity correct (and will do nothing if you get it wrong, unless the CDU has a full rectifier on its input in which case it won't care whether it's fed AC or DC).  The CDU output will be DC.

You haven't said what point motors you use, but I assume a dual solenoid type eg Peco or Seep given they're the usual ones which work with a CDU? This type doesn't care whether they're fed AC or DC.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:32:30 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Josiebenn

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:42 pm »
Yes, Peco PL10e.   Ok, I'll try the 12v 1500ma transformer.  I'll report back.  Thanks for all of your help.   J.

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
12v is a little low and may not completely throw the point over, but no harm in trying... as i said before the earth is common to all outputs on the combi even though you think they look separate.. hence the higher voltage i recommended. Id send you a dell psu but the postage would be more than buying the ebay one i mentioned earlier due to the weight!

:)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:29:38 pm by Only Me »

Offline Josiebenn

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 03:32:47 pm »
Hi, Only Me (Only You?), jtlyk, the separate transformer for the CDU  is in place, a moving coil voltmeter is also now in place watching over things, a surge protected socket strip is bringing in the mains to the whole layout.   The returned Class 70 loco is running and no lights lost yet.   Wish me luck, and thank you for the suggestions. 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything