!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Track - A question from a newbie  (Read 437 times)

Offline Ricksterj

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Kato Track - A question from a newbie
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:57:58 pm »
Hi All
        I've been a member of the forum for quite some time but never posted until now, my main hobby is G Scale in the garden, but as this is only a hobby for six months of the year I decided that an N Gauge layout would be ideal for the wetter, colder months. With this in mind I have over the last couple of years built up a fair collection of rolling stock, and Kato track but have yet to make a start.   

Now my main problem is space, with a small house and a family that seem to collect possessions at an alarming rate there isn't room for a permanent layout. So I have decided that the only option is to have a board with the Kato track stuck to it that would be stored stood up in the shed when not in use. Anyone out there had good or bad experiences of storing their layouts this way

So here's my question , As the layout will spend most of its time stood on one end what is the best way to stick the Kato track to the board without damaging it for future use or resale, glue, if so which is the best glue to use , or pins , I've seen the ones on Ebay but I'm reluctant to whip out the Dremil and attack dozens of pieces of track

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12791
    • Awards
Re: Kato Track - A question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:06 pm »
I use Kato track now as I have very limited space and they make suitable radius curves and the points have built-in motors in the base. There are drilled spigots in the sleeper base that will take small screws. You would have to be very accurate in drilling the holes though.

I wouldn't use nails as it may be difficult to remove them when you wish to alter the layout. As my layout is permanently located I use blue tack. I find it works well and the track can be taken up easily. Experiment with a small section on see if it is secure when stood on end.

One downside depending on which types of stock you use are the no4 points can cause derailments. I found that even modern steam locos with bogies or pony trucks were unreliable. I decided to use no6 points but they are rather long for small layouts.

Dodger

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
Kato track is excellent.  A true system.

As Dodger says, the #4 points can cause difficulties - it all appears to depend on what locomotives you intend to use.  For instance, I have never had a problem with Kato US diesels.  There is a superb thread on this Forum about #4 points.

Kato track has holes for pins already in place.  These simply need a push through with a pin held in pliers from the underside of the track piece., no need to drill in my experience.  I used Peco pins.  Kato has its own but I've not used them.

I used a seasoned 'Sundeala' top for the MDF baseboard.  This takes the pins easily and the MDF appears to prevent the 'Sundeala' from warping.  The track can be carefully lifted and relaid if desired.  I've done it.

Kato 'Unitrack' pinned with Peco pins to Sundeala on a MDF base.  Six years in place and no problems.

For glue, my own preference is Copydex.  I've not used it with Kato track but it ought to be fine.  I have used it with Peco track and it was ideal.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

John

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:31:19 pm »
Hi Ricksterj and congratulations on going down the Kato route. As regards sticking the track down, Copydex or PVA glue should be okay. I understand that it is easy enough to break the hold of the glue using a flat blade or similar, although I have not tried it with Kato, as my layout is not yet at the stage where I need to fix the track.  As an aside, you talk about storing the layout in the shed - how dry is the shed and is there a great deal of temperature fluctuation? Is there nowhere inside you could store it? Also you could think of having two layouts  ???. If each layout had a 'siding' or two going towards the board edge, you could then use the Kato expansion track (ref 20-050) to join the two sidings together.  You would of course have to have the the two layouts perfectly aligned. That way, you could either have a 'small' layout or a 'big' layout running. 'Traintrax' advertise on the forum and you could always contact Keith on the site, I have always found him to be a helpful bloke. Also, 'Fiferhobbies' has some excellent videos on how to use Kato track. Good luck with it all.  :beers:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:33:00 pm by dannyboy, Reason: grammar! »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:40:13 pm »
Hi,

I might be wrong but it seems to work. I just weight the track with food tins and then put a dab of PVA wood glue on the ballast shoulder just above the board so it oozes down and connects the two. (One dab each end on either side for small track lengths and 3 or 4 ie. in the middle as such for longer straights).

It keeps it all in place. I had an temporary layout that was standing on end for ages with no movement and when I raided it for bits of track you just ease it up with a sharp knife or the like. The glue can be chipped off the plastic very easily.

Be very careful with the points though. It's best not to glue them as they should stay in place between the other tracks but if you do don't let the glue get under them as the metal plate will come away if you want to move them causing no end of trouble, swearing and cost (not that that happened to me  :no: ;)).

Hope helps and others please correct me if this is not a good idea.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS. Meant to say good luck with your venture and don't be shy to show us your garden railway. I'm pretty sure G scale is considered a neutral country and not part of the Federation 'Dark Side'.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:51:22 pm by weave »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »

Be very careful with the points though. It's best not to glue them as they should stay in place between the other tracks but if you do don't let the glue get under them as the metal plate will come away causing no end of trouble,

A very good observation.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Zwilnik

• N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:28:38 pm »
I use copydex for mine. Doesnít take much and itís fairly easy to peal off if you change the layout.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:02:16 am »
Hi Zwilnik,

Quick question as I don't know but doesn't Copydex have a bit too much give in it ie springy as Kato isn't as just plug and play as everyone thinks in my opinion.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:53 am »
Hope helps and others please correct me if this is not a good idea.
A good idea.
Use PVA on my test board to hold Kato track in place.  I use a bead of glue along the track base and baseboard join and smoothed with a finger.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:31:34 am »
Peco track pins work very well with Kato track. No need for a drill, if you look at the bottom of each piece you can see the locations for the pins, including on the points.

I built a board using 9mm ply for my nephews using track pins and Kato track. Not only is it stored upright, it is stored in their shed - it is pretty indestructible!

Good luck

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:16:39 am »
Hi Zwilnik,

Quick question as I don't know but doesn't Copydex have a bit too much give in it ie springy as Kato isn't as just plug and play as everyone thinks in my opinion.

Once itís stuck to a flat surface copydex is pretty solid. Just enough flexibility for a little bit of sound dampening but strong enough that you have to definitely be trying to take the track up to remove it once itís cured.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:50:32 am »
Hi again,

Just thought of another thing. A guy at an exhibition told me this and that's to superglue the grey plastic connector on the end of the wires to the points or track feeder as they can come loose and if the track is stuck down it's another potential nightmare.

Wires get accidentally knocked/pulled and especially so if yours will be moved about.

A small piece of sellotape works as well, and allows reuse of point
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:35:37 pm by Railwaygun »

Offline Zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:57:17 am »
Hi again,

Just thought of another thing. A guy at an exhibition told me this and that's to superglue the grey plastic connector on the end of the wires to the points or track feeder as they can come loose and if the track is stuck down it's another potential nightmare.

Wires get accidentally knocked/pulled and especially so if yours will be moved about.

Yup that's not a bad idea as long as you're careful not to get the glue in the contacts ;)
If you fix the feeder wires down to the board and run them to the edge, you can use extension leads to connect them to your controllers when the board's in use (assuming you're not just installing the controllers on the edge of the board).

On my layout I had the Kato power controllers on long extension leads (taped together with the power lead) so I had a degree of roaming.

If you feel ok with hacking the wires a bit, cutting them in two and splicing in longer wires is a cheaper way to extend them.

Offline Ricksterj

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 11:17:43 am »
Thanks guys, plenty to think about there, I've two weeks off work starting today, so between entertaining the family, and running the garden railway I will hopefully pick up my required baseboard and wood and make a start, I will let you know how I get on. cheers everyone

As requested by Weave a pic of my Garden Railway

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:27:28 am by Ricksterj, Reason: add picture »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 01:15:41 pm »
Hi,

Looks great. Showed the wife, she said 'oh that's lovely' so thank you as more groundwork for doing one myself once the lottery numbers come up.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything