!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mistakes we learnt from  (Read 707 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Mistakes we learnt from
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:13 pm »
Spending an hour or so trying to trace a loose wire or bad connection only to find that by putting the plug in the socket things magically burst into life.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »
Without switching off at the mains, pulling a plug out when my my fingers slipped behind the plug and gripped the pins. I was only 8 at the time and it threw me across the room into the opposite wall. I claim that's why I've never been right since :laugh3:

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »
Putting your underpants on inside out and back to front and wondering why you feel under pressure.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:44 pm »
The Mark I version of the sawmill on Tintern -Completing the main building and annexe . Card built using downloaded stone texture. all windows/ gutters etc in place. About 10 hours work. Final varnish spray to fix everything -picked up cellulose spray rather than acrylic and watched as the ink dissolved and I was left with a plain card shell rather than the stone edifice I had made.

The second big mistake was leaving a nearly completed St Michael's church within reach of a Labrador with no architectural interest [see my separate topic on St Michael's] 

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:38:34 pm »
I learned a valuable (i.e. costly!) lesson last week:

NEVER put a live Megapoints multipanel controller PCB down onto the nearest flat surface, especially if that flat surface happens to be your fiddleyard with DCC current flowing through it...
 :-[
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:12:11 pm »
Without switching off at the mains, pulling a plug out when my my fingers slipped behind the plug and gripped the pins. I was only 8 at the time and it threw me across the room into the opposite wall. I claim that's why I've never been right since :laugh3:

Exactly the same thing happened to me, at about the same age. The only difference was that my (Triang 00) layout was on the floor and I gripped the gas pipe leading to the fire with my left hand as I pulled the plug with my right... I can't remember how it felt now, but I must have invented the defibrillator half a century too soon!

Cheers,

Chris (still breathing...)
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 09:37:48 pm »

Exactly the same thing happened to me, at about the same age. The only difference was that my (Triang 00) layout was on the floor and I gripped the gas pipe leading to the fire with my left hand as I pulled the plug with my right... I can't remember how it felt now, but I must have invented the defibrillator half a century too soon!

Cheers,

Chris (still breathing...)

Wow, glad you are still on Earth and not orbiting it  :o

I mean if there was an undetected fault in that gas fire.... at the very least some singed Papyrus... :goggleeyes:

Skyline2uk

LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%