Mistakes we learnt from

Started by Dorsetmike, August 10, 2017, 01:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

A place to post tips you learnt the hard way! (If you dare admit it)

My first offering,

Ordered one of the "ballast dispenser" type tools; the container with grooves to fit over the rails and holes to let a small amount of ballast through  as you move it along the track.

Works nicely UNTIL ... ... ... ...

While waiting for it to arrive I had fixed the platform edging strips ... WRONG!!!!!!!!

The ballast dispenser is a little wider than where the platform edging strips are. SO it's off with the edging strips until ballasting complete.

Luckily I hadn't used a glue that gripped too tightly so the edging strips survived removal, to be refitted when the ballast is dry.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Once, and only the once, I omitted to drill holes/cut 'Vs' in cross braces and adjoining ends of baseboards to thread wires through and had screwed/glued the baseboard tops down :doh:

railsquid

Using plastic glue (the smelly solvent type) when it's not absolutely need, as fogging/staining becomes easily visible and hard to remove. I've since discovered a sort of gooey rubbery glue does the trick, or even a sort of PVA glue (both widely available here in Japan, not sure what UK equivalents would be), and is not as permanent and much easier to clean off. Does the trick for things which need to be held together but don't require maximum sticking strength.

mattycoops43

Laying a whole load of track with multiple points, then realising you have not used insulated joiners at the cross overs between main lines. And the only way to get them in is to lift the whole lot as there is not enough lee way in a point to point join to slide fishplates across.

grrrrr

:confused1:

keithfre

Quote from: mattycoops43 on August 10, 2017, 04:25:33 PM
Laying a whole load of track with multiple points, then realising you have not used insulated joiners at the cross overs between main lines. And the only way to get them in is to lift the whole lot as there is not enough lee way in a point to point join to slide fishplates across.
Oh dear, you could have just cut through the track with a slitting disc and filled the gaps... :sorrysign:

Malc

Running the track close to the edge of the board and just managing to catch a Black 5 as it derailed and headed downwards. Now has a raised bead along the edge.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Didn't manage to catch mine!! They don't glide too well do they??
Still haven't put a barrier up, some people never learn..
:no:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Skyline2uk

Two recent "learnt the hard way" from me:

1) Keep small bits in bags / containers whilst working with others as they CAN disappear completely (nameplate, £9).

2) When filing, do it slowly and methodically. Getting distracted means you end up removing too much material and you can't put it back! Lucky I have another spare body...

Skyline2uk

The Q

Wear an Apron over your clothes when using polyfilla / paint, unless you want an ear bending from SWMBO.
I've got a plain welders Apron for really Dirty work, much bigger than most offerings which are tiny and an EMGS one for more "formal" occasions.
Do the NGS do one? I suppose I'll have to join and find out...

Karhedron

Not feeding each section of track separately and then ballasting and weathering the track. The paint and glue seep into the rail joiners and turn each one into an intermittent isolating section. :(
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

silly moo

Not sealing the baseboard properly and then pouring in resin to make water, most of the resin ended up on the floor!

ntpntpntp

Getting too impatient with applying layers of varnish to create the water for my harbour:  in the end I poured in rather thick layers, and so after 20 years it's still like a custard skin - dry on top but squishy underneath, as little (and not-so-little) fingers find out from time to time at shows!

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

paulprice

Putting a soldering iron into my pocket while I answered the phone  :'(

Steve Brassett

Quote from: The Q on August 11, 2017, 08:32:05 AM
Wear an Apron over your clothes when using polyfilla / paint, unless you want an ear bending from SWMBO.
Avoiding an ear bending from SWMBO?  That's a whole new thread.....

silly moo

Years ago I mixed Atlas points with Poole Farish locos, the combination of not very good points with pizza cutter wheels meant nothing was able to complete a circuit of the layout. I nearly gave up N gauge completely.

I know Farish locos have improved in leaps and bounds and I expect that Atlas points are much better too but I stick to Peco now.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations