!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cerney Keynes - Planning  (Read 786 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cerney Keynes - Planning
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 01:49:35 am »
Sometimes the best way forward doesn't become evident right away. Glad to hear that you have your conundrum sorted, Graham. 

Three weeks ago I had two conundra that have been bothering me for months, namely the designs of my back drop and of my industrial area. One night, I had a revelation regarding the design of the back drop which has since been implemented. Now I'm down to one conundrum.

Webbo

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:16 am »
Sometimes the best way forward doesn't become evident right away. Glad to hear that you have your conundrum sorted, Graham. 

Three weeks ago I had two conundra that have been bothering me for months, namely the designs of my back drop and of my industrial area. One night, I had a revelation regarding the design of the back drop which has since been implemented. Now I'm down to one conundrum.

Webbo

Cheers Webbo, and I am following your thread and have seen your great solution to your back drop!

This is why forums like this are invaluable.

Graham.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 08:57:50 am »
Graham

That's a very nice plan.  I think it will look really good when built.  You'll probably shunt the two main sidings whilst working anti-clockwise and shunt the kick-back siding when working clockwise, using the long outside siding as a headshunt.

What radius curves are you using?

You'll find wiring the 'Unitrack' to be particularly easy.

I would put a pair of power feeds at each end of your loop and a pair on your kick-back siding; there are very nifty wired 'Unijoiners' which will make this very easy to do.  If you wanted to be really particular, I suggest another pair of power feeds on one end of the straight track at your platform, between the two sets of points.

My experience with the #6 points has been entirely positive.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 09:36:19 am »
I'm glad you've found a solution that enables you to use your existing track, Graham.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:41 am »
Graham

That's a very nice plan.  I think it will look really good when built.  You'll probably shunt the two main sidings whilst working anti-clockwise and shunt the kick-back siding when working clockwise, using the long outside siding as a headshunt.

What radius curves are you using?

You'll find wiring the 'Unitrack' to be particularly easy.

I would put a pair of power feeds at each end of your loop and a pair on your kick-back siding; there are very nifty wired 'Unijoiners' which will make this very easy to do.  If you wanted to be really particular, I suggest another pair of power feeds on one end of the straight track at your platform, between the two sets of points.

My experience with the #6 points has been entirely positive.

Best wishes.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for the excellent advice, it is most appreciated.

I will be using the R249-45 curves, I've been advised not to go smaller than this and they seem to be the right size to make the most of the limited space I have.  If possible I will rotate the entire layout by a few degrees as I feel it will look a little bit more "organic" if I can avoid track being parallel to the edges of the baseboard.

In other news, on Saturday I popped into my local for a swift pint and to pay for my bonus ball number.  I bumped into an old friend and the swift pint turned into a bit of a session.  When I finally got home I decided that the Metcalfe signal box kit should probably stay in its packet as I was in no fit state to attempt building it!  Instead I clipped together a loop of Unitrack on the floor (on some underlay left over from the carpet fitting - I've already been told off for laying track directly on the carpet!) and spent a happy few hours watching the 14xx and Terrier steaming around.  Broome Manor didn't get an outing as she needs her first oiling and again, due to the pint or seven of cider I had consumed, I decided to wait until I was a little more sensible before putting her in the servicing cradle and breaking out the oil and screwdriver.

I've emailed Gas Cupboard Models in Trowbridge to check that they had the Sundeala board I want and to ask them to put one aside for me for collection on Wednesday morning.  Hopefully there will be an email waiting for me when I get to work tonight.  Assuming it is positive the board should be built by close of play on Wednesday and on Saturday I will be laying some track.  My Father is going to lend me one of his many cameras so that I can take some decent pictures of my progress, so look out for those after the weekend.

Graham.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:01 am »
Graham

That sounds like great progress (and a jolly evening!).

I agree about the 249 radius - it is more-or-less halfway between Peco No.1 and No.2 radii.  Most of the locomotives you are likely to run ought to be fine.  The next Kato radius, 282, is difficult to fit on a two-foot wide baseboard (I've tried!) as it come very close to the edges.

When you use Kato #6 points as a crossover, as you are effectively doing, or with their special matching curve, you do not get the standard Kato 33mm track centres.  Therefore, the track spacing gauge on the nifty blue plastic re-railer does not work in this case.

I used #6 points on 'Sandrock', my US-outline layout, and made a track spacing gauge out of 'Plastikard'.  If you do the same, you'll probably find it helps you lay your front sidings.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 11:01:06 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen, Cerney Keynes is moving to the Construction subforum, because I've finally built something!  It's only a signal box, but after joining the forum 18 or so months ago we actually have some progress.  I hope to see you in the new thread soon.

Graham, covered in glue but happy as a pig in smelly stuff.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here