Derailment - Just like the real thing

Started by Bob G, August 15, 2017, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acko22

The Ely l0oks like it could be rather difficult to deal with, firstly got to get the containers off so they can get at the wagons so the crane will be working over time!
But getting the containers off the train and on there way will be interesting, my thought is they will either move them out by road or if they are to be reloaded on to another train then bringing in a road crane as well I don't think the rail crane with have a good enough reach to cross deck the containers without involving multiple trips to bring in 2 maybe 3 container flats at a time.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

robert shrives

Hi seems they are using a kirov crane which is 250 tonne capacity if it is the one I think it is, its on rail reach is very good but seems are confident that it can load wagons easily enough. It could perhaps pick up 5 off and then lift others while train is swapped over and then load the rest on a second trip. I guess customers are  bit miffed at time taken so I guess pressure is on.

Several of the flats reported to be bogie less but not seen that confirmed but a rake of  perch sort of flats would allow a repeat lift  and clearly with machines on site ready and waiting the ballast can be levelled and panels lifted in to place with the Krirov and RRVs

Only saving grace is that it not much  more than a very good stone throw from Whitemoor PW depot so material easy to obtain... I hate to think what any cables are like so while we may get line back Monday I guess it will not be fully signaled...
Find out more tomorrow 12 hr shift - joy of joys OT to allow other controllers  put staff f to jobs for Friday , by which time the planners should have weekend rosters and diagrams fully sorted.
more ho hum !! and tea
Robert

martyn

Being a bit pedantic, in these days of privatisation, do we need to be a little clearer in our labelling of operators/trains?
By this, I mean that the derailed container train, is technically, (I think) GBRF, and not Freightliner........
And yes, I know, generically all ISO container trains used to be, and still may be, called 'Freightliners' from  the good old days......
Pedantically
Martyn

robert shrives

Martyn,
Quite agree - it is often hard to sort out and even NR controls mess it up all the time with some zones using the TOPS commercial code and the differing business sector codes.
Often it is a case of knowing the donkey on the front or back and the terminal TOPS codes/ stanox / short hand to know who is running what.

Worse NR cannot even sort out headcodes correctly, let alone upload schedules or worse unilaterally changing schedules to reduce delay minutes - this scuppers all down line information systems at stations and devices of all kinds ( perhaps not smoke signals! )
[Rant mode off] !!

dodger

Quote from: robert shrives on August 16, 2017, 05:00:26 PM
Hi seems they are using a kirov crane which is 250 tonne capacity if it is the one I think it is, its on rail reach is very good but seems are confident that it can load wagons easily enough. It could perhaps pick up 5 off and then lift others while train is swapped over and then load the rest on a second trip. I guess customers are  bit miffed at time taken so I guess pressure is on.

Robert

Sorry to have to correct you but the crane is not capable of lifting 250 tonnes. The crane is a Kirow 1200 crane, 81612, owned by Colas. It has a maximum capacity of 125 Tonne at 9.6 metres. It arrived at approx 15.00.

Dodger

robert shrives

Hi Thanks Dodger, always  rely on more info coming. but even at 125 t it will be a useful tool, 1500 arrival a bit disappointing given it only had to come from March and was reported to be leaving at 10.00, was it pushed by hand !! Still a mighty piece of kit - just found photo in Wagon Recognition V 2 by Martin Buck and Mark Rawlinson.

I recall a Kirov on Southern falling over at Waterloo or thereabouts some years ago so hopefully better luck this time  and I hope the crew have a good and successful night as we all need the line back. 
Robert

LeftToMyOwnDevices

Quote from: martyn on August 16, 2017, 06:42:00 PM
Being a bit pedantic, in these days of privatisation, do we need to be a little clearer in our labelling of operators/trains?
By this, I mean that the derailed container train, is technically, (I think) GBRF, and not Freightliner........
And yes, I know, generically all ISO container trains used to be, and still may be, called 'Freightliners' from the good old days......
Pedantically
Martyn

Oooh Martyn, you're making me feel old... :o (and I never thought I'd ever say that...!)

I'd rather not give away my exact age; but in December I will be the same age as the NGS and MERG (of which I am a member of both organisations). Just don't add up those two numbers... :worried:

I did work, very briefly, on Freightliners Ltd and I do miss those 'good old days'... I think... :confused1:
I thought I was using the word 'freightliner' in its generic sense, although I'm not entirely sure. :D

So far, I've resisted buying any diesels or electrics that are 'post-modern', making a gracious exception for the 'Patriot 66'. ::)

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

martyn

Hi Charles;
Tongue in cheek, the point that I was trying to make was that when 'Freightliner' was part of the 1960s BR modernisation plan, they were the only operator handling the traffic, and so everybody called ISO container trains 'Freightliners', even if they were carrying containers belonging to other companies.
Now, in the days of Privatisation, and each company having its own advertising, social media, public image, etc, I was just wondering if Freightliner might, theoretically, take umbrage if it was said that a Freightliner train was derailed, when it was actually another operator.
I don't think they would-but in these days of litigation, one never knows........
BTW, I think I can beat you in the age stakes-and Harwich Parkeston Quay, where my father worked, was the first marine ISO container terminal in the UK....and I well remember seeing it built on the site of the former loco shed, and Freightliner and Ford containers (as well as others) being handled.
Not so pedantically
Martyn

25901JFM

Not sure but I thought the name for this traffic is now "Inter-modal"?  Which sort of suggests containers moved by road / rail / sea...  But I'm sure someone somewhere will know the correct terminology.  Some of us older people still tend to refer to container trains as "Freightliners" as a throwback to BR days when Freightliner was the BR branding for the container trains.
John

robert shrives

Hi site news was good at 14.00 with the 12.30 report showing points being plain railled, old track remains gone and base ballast going in. Sunday all day reserved for S&T work and plan for Monday opening 04.00.

Work on 24hs a day with a messing area of portacabins installed at nearby level crossing. Hopefully weather will hold and the slack time in the works will see all back to time.

All good but know doubt somebody in for a shoeing when all the performance and finance battles settled - that dust may take longer to settle that at Ely
Robert

jond

Colas Kirow Crane 81612 has just been through Peterborough topped and tailed by 2 GBRF 66s, and a load of ballast wagons full of used ballast by the looks of them.

Kaian

Craig

acko22

Just spotted that Paddington derailment on BBC before coming on here!

So in the space of a week you have had 3 derailments and a low speed collision, is it me or are the actual railways (not the workers) trying to tell us something - like if the kids get 6 weeks off so should we!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations