Question re Canadians buying from UK suppliers via post

Started by GreenDiesel, August 04, 2017, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenDiesel

First, apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place!

During the past few years, I've ordered several items -- maybe 3-4 per year -- from Hattons or Rails of Sheffield.  These parcels have always arrived quite quickly, usually taking only 4-5 business days. In the past, I've always received excellent service.

However, in July, I made an order (for an N scale Dapol Terrier). Hattons said they dispatched it on July 21 but it has not arrived yet. Since it's now 2 weeks, I'm getting more restless. I did contact Hattons and they confirmed they had sent it on 21 July. They said that they could not investigate the matter with the delivery company until after 25 days.

Just wondering if anyone else in Canada (or the US) has experienced similar delays (and how long), and how they resolved them?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

keithfre

I'm not in North America, but here in the Netherlands I had a problem with a missing delivery from Hattons. After the 25-day period had elapsed and there was still no sign of the package I informed them and they sent out a replacement.

GreenDiesel

Quote from: keithfre on August 04, 2017, 02:30:22 PM
I'm not in North America, but here in the Netherlands I had a problem with a missing delivery from Hattons. After the 25-day period had elapsed and there was still no sign of the package I informed them and they sent out a replacement.

Whew, that's good to know!  I'm hoping my track record will work in my favour, i.e. I've been a happy customer for 3-4 years with no complaints. Thanks, Rob

Malc

I sent a tracked parcel to Toronto last year. The tracking said it was in the goods out at Heathrow for 14 days, then it suddenly appeared at the destination. Took about 18 days all told. Royal Mail won't chase anything until 28 days have passed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

GreenDiesel

Quote from: Malc on August 04, 2017, 04:48:12 PM
I sent a tracked parcel to Toronto last year. The tracking said it was in the goods out at Heathrow for 14 days, then it suddenly appeared at the destination. Took about 18 days all told. Royal Mail won't chase anything until 28 days have passed.

Thanks ... again this is helpful to know.  Hmm, yes
maybe it's stuck in a small corner at Heathrow?

Intercity

I order a lot from various people and suppliers across the pond, sometimes I will get the package is a couple of days and other times it can be 2 weeks, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it varies, my last rails package was about 7 days, my last private sale was 5 days, quickest I ever got was overnight (a watch bought online and shipped DHL from the Midlands) it arrived quicker than an order from Chicago or New York!!

jpendle

The last time I used airmail at Hattons, the parcel arrived over 3 months later!!!

It had obviously been 'in the wars'. The packaging was heavily damaged but luckily the contents were OK. By that time I had already received a replacement order from Hattons.

Now I always use their DHL option. Shipping takes just 2 days and is only a little more expensive. The only drawback is being home for the delivery, but I work from home quite a lot so this doesn't bother me so much.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

GreenDiesel

Quote from: jpendle on August 04, 2017, 07:49:15 PM
The last time I used airmail at Hattons, the parcel arrived over 3 months later!!!

It had obviously been 'in the wars'. The packaging was heavily damaged but luckily the contents were OK. By that time I had already received a replacement order from Hattons.

Now I always use their DHL option. Shipping takes just 2 days and is only a little more expensive. The only drawback is being home for the delivery, but I work from home quite a lot so this doesn't bother me so much.

Regards,John P

Thanks, John. Last year, I used DHL once and I think the only problem with that is that DHL will charge you Canada customs & duty. I had to pay about $30.00 extra in duty, which annoyed me. When it comes via the Post Office, I think it flies under the radar & gets through. Again, this is the first time I've had a delay or any problems. Rob

Mustermark

Hi Rob,
Yes DHL is very likely to charge you duty. Was gutted to get stung for duty on a vintage Underground sign I had shipped! It adds a lot to the cost.
My average parcel count from UK is about one a month. They normally take between 1 and 3 weeks. I think it depends how busy customs is. When they are tracked it can say 'out bound from customs NY' for a few days.
Japan is usually also 1-3 weeks - normally quick by SAL; China generally about 3 weeks or more.
I hate 'signed for' as I have to wait for the weekend to pick up.
I find Hattons £3 unsigned is usually about a week, but can be 2 weeks or so. Never had one undelivered, but they have been great about problems on the odd occasion I had to call them (Twice I received the wrong item and they sent the right thing pretty promptly).

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

GreenDiesel

Quote from: Mustermark on August 04, 2017, 11:30:57 PM
Hi Rob,
Yes DHL is very likely to charge you duty. Was gutted to get stung for duty on a vintage Underground sign I had shipped! It adds a lot to the cost.
My average parcel count from UK is about one a month. They normally take between 1 and 3 weeks. I think it depends how busy customs is. When they are tracked it can say 'out bound from customs NY' for a few days.
Japan is usually also 1-3 weeks - normally quick by SAL; China generally about 3 weeks or more.
I hate 'signed for' as I have to wait for the weekend to pick up.
I find Hattons £3 unsigned is usually about a week, but can be 2 weeks or so. Never had one undelivered, but they have been great about problems on the odd occasion I had to call them (Twice I received the wrong item and they sent the right thing pretty promptly).

Thanks for this feedback. Hopefully it will arrive next week, which will be the 3rd week. Otherwise, it sounds like Hattons will make good in the end, even when it's not their fault. I'm going to try to avoid DHL then unless I'm desperate! Cheers, Rob

jpendle

Happily for those of us in the USA, there is no import duty on model railways.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

JayM481

While not a UK order, I recently ordered something from Germany (when I get a chance it'll be posted in the "Latest Loco..." thread. It was off eBay from DM-Toys (Modellbahn Union), shipped 26 June, recorded as sent to Canada 29 June. Then nothing. Canada post won't track it (international tracking not recognized). So, last week I asked for a refund, and through eBay got that today. The day the model arrived  :-[ :-[  :sorrysign:

I've contacted DM-Toys about returning the refund or paying again. I hope this isn't an issue for them with eBay, but the lesson learned for me was that it can take quite a while, even if Canada Customs doesn't get their sticky fingers on it (they didn't in this case). As with you the vast majority of my orders from Europe/UK have been delivered within a couple of weeks, so I assumed it was lost after nearly 40 days. Maybe it's a Canada Post Summer holiday issue?

Webbo

Hi Rob

I wouldn't be getting too concerned until the delay extends to a month. Here in Oz, stuff from the UK generally arrives in about 10 days although the flying time between Europe and here is 24 hours. Two weeks is not unusual. The biggest delays I've had have occurred when sending items between here and Canada as it turns out. I sold a freight car to a guy in Ontario a while back which took a month. A few years ago I ordered a locomotive from TrueLine Trains that took 3 months. I suspect that it had been sent by sailing ship instead of by air mail.

I've never lost anything in the mail. Touch wood!

Webbo 

Bealman

Could have been a pigeon!

When I moved from the UK to Oz, I was glad when I landed in Sydney, but Geez, me arms were tired!  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Railwaygun

Quote from: JayM481 on August 05, 2017, 04:58:45 AM
While not a UK order, I recently ordered something from Germany (when I get a chance it'll be posted in the "Latest Loco..." thread. It was off eBay from DM-Toys (Modellbahn Union), shipped 26 June, recorded as sent to Canada 29 June. Then nothing. Canada post won't track it (international tracking not recognized). So, last week I asked for a refund, and through eBay got that today. The day the model arrived  :-[ :-[  :sorrysign:

I've contacted DM-Toys about returning the refund or paying again. I hope this isn't an issue for them with eBay, but the lesson learned for me was that it can take quite a while, even if Canada Customs doesn't get their sticky fingers on it (they didn't in this case). As with you the vast majority of my orders from Europe/UK have been delivered within a couple of weeks, so I assumed it was lost after nearly 40 days. Maybe it's a Canada Post Summer holiday issue?

always buy from the DM-toys website - cheaper & better service ( to UK)

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/index.html

DAniel Mrugalski info@dm-toys.de has always been very helpful with problems.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34