Handbuilding track (possibly 2mm FS)

Started by josh_will, July 31, 2017, 12:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josh_will

Hi all,

I'd like some advice with something I have in mind.

As I've been working in the electronics industry for nearly a year now, I'd like to test my skills by handbuilding some track, using copper clad sleepers. I'm thinking about trying it in N gauge but 2mm FS would probably make more sense. However as I don't have much time at all for modelling I don't really want to have to commit to joining the 2mm FS society in order to obtain the rail and sleepers I'd need. Can anyone help me find alternative sources?

Many thanks,

Josh

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Ocean_Colliery on July 31, 2017, 12:21:06 PM
Hi all,

I'd like some advice with something I have in mind.

As I've been working in the electronics industry for nearly a year now, I'd like to test my skills by handbuilding some track, using copper clad sleepers. I'm thinking about trying it in N gauge but 2mm FS would probably make more sense. However as I don't have much time at all for modelling I don't really want to have to commit to joining the 2mm FS society in order to obtain the rail and sleepers I'd need. Can anyone help me find alternative sources?

Many thanks,

Josh

Hi

Marcway models www.marcway.net do code 40 bullhead rail but I'm not sure about the copper clad sleepers (they are listed without a price).

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

RailGooner

@Wayne Kinney of this forum produces finescale Code 40 trackwork to N gauge standards, rather than 2mm.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=3280

http://www.britishfinescale.com/

longbow

I'd be very surprised if you did not swiftly recover the cost of 2MM membership through their low shop prices and their extensive track building knowledge database, which will save you much time.

queensquare

The time it took you to type this request is probably longer than it would have taken you to join the 2mm scale Association, ( it's not society, nor does finescale appear anywhere in the name).
If you want to build track, to either N or 2mm standards, joining the Association is the obvious choice.

Jerry

josh_will

Many thanks for the replies. I'm starting to think it may be worthwhile joining the 2mm association now. I just want to try it out really to see if its a viable option for a future layout as I really do like the appearance of finescale track vs Peco. I'm less enthusiastic about changing wheels, but one step at a time. Does the 2mm Assoc. have a trade stand at larger exhibitions, e.g. the NEC or is it purely mail order?

Regards,

Josh

nick_bastable

they do attend a number of shows where they also sell a taster pack of a 2mm  plastic wagon,  etched  chassis, wheels and a small length of easitrac

Nick

Steven B

Are you set on PCB sleepers and soldered construction? If not then FiNetrax could be a good starting point: http://www.britishfinescale.com/

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

RichardBattersby

I'm very much an N modeller but have been a member of the 2mm Association for a couple of years now. I, too, joined because I wanted the sleepers, and I'm glad I did. I wasn't interested in building track or 'going finescale' as I wanted the PCB to help with baseboard joints, however I kept up membership as they sell nice things, like etched buffer stops, which are equally useful for N.

That being said, and after dabbling with British Finescale, which I very much recommend, I have decided I will make a very small Finescale layout. The reason for this is that the 2mm Association seems to be very organised and in 2020 they will be celebrating their Diamond Jubilees with a Layout Challenge which I read about last weekend in the latest journal. Whilst open to everyone, it aims specifically to people like you and I, aspiring finescalers who have yet to take the plunge. They even produce drop-in wheels so you don't need to hand / scratch build locos! I was going to start another thread about this at some point but I would encourage you to join and have a bash at the challenge. We have 3 years to have a go at it!
;D
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

PaulCheffus

Quote from: RichardBattersby on August 03, 2017, 11:18:41 AM
We have 3 years to have a go at it!
;D

Hi

Those three years will pass very quickly.

I started a layout for the 2mm SA Golden Jubilee Layout challenge ten years ago. It got as far as having the track down, servo point motors and wiring and there it sits waiting for the scenery. I never did enter it.

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

RichardBattersby

Thanks for the encouragement!  :smiley-laughing: Seriously though, if I work at it I'm sure it's doable, even if I never enter I appreciate the impetus to dip my toe into Finescale as I just love the look of it. It will be good to have something to do on those admittedly rare hot summer days when the loft is nearing cremation!  ;)
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

njee20

A friend is building a large layout in 2FS. It's lovely, and I really love the flowing pointwork etc, but having to get all the wheels turned down would do my head (and wallet) in. I'd be more inclined to build to n gauge standard with hand built track if you have a reasonable amount of stock.

nick_bastable

Quote from: njee20 on August 03, 2017, 11:37:26 AM
A friend is building a large layout in 2FS. It's lovely, and I really love the flowing pointwork etc, but having to get all the wheels turned down would do my head (and wallet) in. I'd be more inclined to build to n gauge standard with hand built track if you have a reasonable amount of stock.

the DJLC is a interesting small project probably just one engine in steam and  a few bits of stock.  The GJLC was a much larger area and the reason the DLJC size has been set at  600mm x 240mm scenic,  I sort of finished my GJLC effort and learnt a huge amount from it, however the best outcome from the expo was forming a small local 2mm area group.   As for the layout it has only recently been dismantled as my skill have improved a little since it was built

even if you stick with n gauge the parts offered still make it a attractive proposition

Nick

njee20

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on August 03, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
What are GJLC and DLJC?! ???

Hi

The 2mm Scale Association ran a challenge for their 50th anniversary called the Golden Jubilee Layout Challenge (GJLC) and they are now running another one for the 60th anniversary called the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge (DJLC).

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%