!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Handbuilding track (possibly 2mm FS)  (Read 452 times)

UmlautAlex and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Handbuilding track (possibly 2mm FS)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »
Ahhhhh, wonderful, ta!

Yes, personally not remotely interested for any challenge, would be interested in just trying it for my next layout, but a very quick tot up suggests about 1000 axles on my layout. Not keen on replacing all those! Someone suggested 2FS plain track would be fine with 'normal' wheels, as long as you built pointwork to N gauge standards.

Online PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 03:36:05 pm »
Someone suggested 2FS plain track would be fine with 'normal' wheels, as long as you built pointwork to N gauge standards.

Hi

In that case why would you not use Finetrax rather than either 2mm SA Easitrac or soldered construction?

Cheers

Paul

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »
Because it's not so much the reduced rail section that appeals with handbuilt track it's the flowing pointwork. I've got enough space I could have some really long crossovers. I also model present day, so I'd want flat bottom rail and concrete sleeper.

It's all a complete pipe dream mind, I haven't got the time to work on my layout with code 55, and I have the finesse and patience of a stressed gorilla with Parkinson's.

Offline TimothyB

• N Gauge Society Number: 26733
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Today at 05:44:14 pm »
After getting frustrated that the range (or rather the lack of) proprietary pointwork in code 55 to fully do justice to a real location, I've just made the decision to adopt 2mm Finescale standards for the trackwork for my layout, while keeping my Farish and Dapol stock.

I've already joined the 2mm SA and have started to accumulate the necessary track components and jigs etc. needed for the hand built track.  I too am after the flowing pointwork look and whilst waiting for a couple more jigs to come back into stock, I'm starting to convert some of my rolling stock over to 9.42mm. 

Yes I know it's going to be a big task but the end result should be worth the effort in the long run - just hope my eyes hold up.

Regards to all,

TimothyB

Online nick_bastable

• 2mm Association Number: 3935
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:33:14 pm »
at this risk of heresy a good move try and get to the local area group your get lots of help and advise

Nick

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm