!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann Glaserner Zug Electric Railcar  (Read 395 times)

Offline grayn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fleischmann Glaserner Zug Electric Railcar
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »
 I'm a railway modelling novice and have just got my 3rd train, a Fleischmann 741102 N Gauge DB BR491 001-4 Glaserner Zug Electric Railcar.  My other 2 are both from Kato, as is my track and DC set up.  Running 3 tracks from 3 controllers.
I'm very impressed with this model. It is very nicely detailed, very sturdy and in my view, a real looker.
The only minor let down is the lighting.  Both exterior and interior lights are quite dim and only come good, when the power is turned up and the railcar is whizzing around the track.
Both the Kato trains have superb lighting.
Shame, as otherwise I really like this model and feel it's a keeper.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Fleischmann Glaserner Zug Electric Railcar
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
Ah yes, the Glass Train!   I've got an old one of those somewhere in the collection, it doesn't come out much nowadays as it was more suited to the layout I had in the late 80s/early 90s.

I tend to disconnect interior lighting, it never looks quite right to me.

Which Kato locos - also German?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline grayn

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:20:47 pm »
Ah yes, the Glass Train!   I've got an old one of those somewhere in the collection, it doesn't come out much nowadays as it was more suited to the layout I had in the late 80s/early 90s.

I tend to disconnect interior lighting, it never looks quite right to me.

Which Kato locos - also German?

No.
I have a Glacier Express and a Japanese Hibari.
I know it's not the done thing but I really like Japanese and North European trains and for now, intend to just have trains I like.
Perhaps one day I'll do a second layout and be more correct, in my approach.
BTW, I'm using the Railcar as a  tram substitute.
More blasphemy.  Oh well

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:26:49 pm »
It's your railway, run whatever you like!   Nothing wrong with that.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline grayn

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:22:07 pm »
It's your railway, run whatever you like!   Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers, I appreciate the sentiment.
This is my 1st foray into model railways, since being a lad.
Always thought I'd go for British steam but I love these more modern, Japanese and continental locos.

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 09:20:26 am »
You will usually find this on dc models as it draws straight through the power with the motor yet when putting it to dcc the power is divided better

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:22:23 am »
I have the problem with my minitrix et87 at the back but the interior lights are too bright

Offline grayn

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:43:43 pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Nice looking trains.
Kind of remind me of the Kato Allegra.

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 03:34:20 pm »
I've got one of those in a box too lol

Online biela49

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:24 pm »
I got one Glassernerzug too. I found it as second hand item, but in very good condition, in a Berlin shop. It came with passengers. A good friend of mine made it digital, replaced original lighting by leds, and made independent the interior lighting of the front/rear lights.

I invite you to watch it in the following video. My ET91 runs on the tracks of my son’s layout.

Offline grayn

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:10:10 pm »
Wow! that's  a massive improvement.
The lights on mine are pathetic.
I can't help thinking though, that the passengers in that car would come out blinded.

Your layout looks awesome.

Cheers for the vid.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 07:17:50 pm »
Super layout!  I have to agree with @grayn , those lights look a little too bright for my preference. Do the passengers get free sunglasses?

I usually take out the interior lighting on my models, especially the old Arnold ET420 units which run as bright as your Glass Train!

Online biela49

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:05:59 pm »
Super layout!  I have to agree with @grayn , those lights look a little too bright for my preference. Do the passengers get free sunglasses?

I usually take out the interior lighting on my models, especially the old Arnold ET420 units which run as bright as your Glass Train!

I agree that the interior lighting shows exaggerated, but ti is something that I can’t (or I don’t know how) to control with my camera. But I tell you that in reality is nothing exaggerated when you look at in room conditions.

Concerning the ET420 I also got one and I love its interior lighting, that can be controlled independently of the front/rear lights of the train after digitalize. I invite you to watch these two videos, before and after the model digitalized, and getting passengers, in with you can appreciate my opinion.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:03 pm »
@biela49   Wonderful videos!   It's good to see smooth running and not too fast!

Arnold ET420 is one of my favourite models, I have 12 of these units!   It's because I saw one in an Arnold catalogue in the 1970s, and we had nothing like this for British N gauge at that time.

Your model is the new Arnold/Hornby model: I have 2 of these, but most of mine are the old model made in Germany, some are 40 years old  but still work well at exhibitions.

Here are 3x ET420 at the station on my layout.  The unit in the middle "T-D1" is unique, I repainted and made all the graphics in 2005

Online biela49

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:21 pm »
@biela49   Wonderful videos!   It's good to see smooth running and not too fast!

Arnold ET420 is one of my favourite models, I have 12 of these units!   It's because I saw one in an Arnold catalogue in the 1970s, and we had nothing like this for British N gauge at that time.

Your model is the new Arnold/Hornby model: I have 2 of these, but most of mine are the old model made in Germany, some are 40 years old  but still work well at exhibitions.

Here are 3x ET420 at the station on my layout.  The unit in the middle "T-D1" is unique, I repainted and made all the graphics in 2005

My wish for this train comes from the last 0s when Röwa launched it in H0, with three liveries. I got one one of the former Arnold’s but sold it and bought the new issue. After some months I digitalize it, put passengers inside , and satisfied my wish. Now I enjoy a lot watching it running.

Your collection is huge, probably unmatched, And your layout looks excellent.

Thank you for comment my post. I like to run my trains at a trustworthy speed. I think is better to appreciate and enjoy them. (If you look at my Youtube channel forget the oldest videos) (http://www.youtube.com/user/josito331)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:20:32 pm by biela49 »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything