Railway Modeller September/ October 2014

Started by cycletrak9, July 24, 2017, 04:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycletrak9

I'm undertaking a tidy-up in the loft as a preliminary to getting back to modelling after far too long a break.

As a space saving exercise I decided to further reduce the Railway Modeller content that I retain. Up until now, I've stripped out the adverts front and rear and kept only the magazine content which starts with the "From the Editor " page. I've now decided to keep only articles that have relevance to my own modelling preferences/interests and to store these in archive files.

All was going well until I came to September/October 2014. I appeared to have two magazines for September 2014 with completely different "From the Editor" pages. Tha rest of the magazine content was also different in each case. After a bit of puzzling I finally twigged - the editorial page for October showed "September 2014" in the bottom left hand corner and the September page number "681" in the right hand corner. The rest of the magazine was correctly annotated and paginated.

Has anyone else noticed this or have I got, and inadvertently mutilated, a priceless one-off?

Mike

Train Waiting

Sorry, I agree.  September 2014 = September.  October 2014 = September.  November 2014 = November.

Well worth keeping the 'Railway Modeller'; I'm forever looking at back issues.

Best wishes for your return to railway modelling.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

I'm just wondering what to do with my ever growing mountain of RM :help:

austinbob

I'm afraid Mick that you look at the pile of Mags, look at the space available and ultimately migrate them to the bin. Or, if you're lucky, you might sell them for a few bob to someone who's got a bigger garage than you. Sad but true... :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

cycletrak9

Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking for that signed fiver.

njee20

Well maybe if you find one which really has the editorial from October 2014 in it that's the priceless copy!

Bealman

You and me both, NPN. That's the 1957 - 1990s end of the shelf. The Seventies and Noughties are at the other end!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Good grief, George :goggleeyes:
Dunno about anything else but you're  fire hazard for sure! ;)

tutenkhamunsleeping

MJKERR

You could one step further and scan the remaining magazines, then dispose of them

I did this some time ago for some rare (fashion) magazines, those magazines are now shrink wrapped and in storage
For each magazine there are two copies of the files, just in case the original becomes corrupt
Equally, some people are aware I have these magazines and have asked for copies as they cannot obtain them anymore

Bealman

Unfortunately, any thing shrink wrapped in our house goes in the bin under the sink  ;)

njee20

I'm amazed there's a market for 'desirable' magazines!

Bealman

There most  certainly  is. I have been offered  quite a lot of money locally for just one early 60s RM.

Tutan:

Yeah, but they're  no good when it comes to keeping the RM in place  ;)

BoxTunnel

As a tenant of a one bedroom council flat, I tend to bin all my magazines every six months or so, and regret binning them six months later!
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Bealman

I know how you feel.

Bin anything, and suddenly you realise you had the info or tool just when you need it, but it's  gone!

There's nowt wrong with keeping stuff.

As long as it doesn't become hoarding, I guess.

Favourite term of Mrs B.  ;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations