!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First efforts  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Jimothy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
First efforts
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:41:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on these forums for a while, and have been threatening my wife with an N gauge layout for years, well the time has come! I am on a really tight budget (my wife is a full time student researching for her PhD, and I have 4 hungry teenagers to feed) so was looking at auctions on a well known internet based auction site (ok fleabay) and  a chap was selling an 8'x4' double oval track with some sidings etc. Starting bid was 99p and I won it for £5.50, so going tonight to pick it up!

I don't have any locos to use yet (or a DCC controller for that matter!) so I am watching some other auctions for engines and  a controller. But I can get going with the construction and modelling which I wanted to share via these fair forums.  :NGF:

If you're interested here's the auction - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Layout-Boards-Wired-For-DCC-/162580747894?hash=item25da915676:g:iuUAAOSwbopZQ725

I'll post some pictures of it set up once I've got it home. I might have to re-lay the track as I wanted to have a raised section to run over a bridge, but not sure it will be possible.

Anyhow I am quite excited at getting started!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: First efforts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:48 pm »
Good luck, looks like you got a bargain there!

I notice the points are all Peco Setrack so they're all 9" radius curves and have insulated frogs, so just beware that some modern large steam locos might not like the curves (though the vast majority should be ok) and short wheelbase 0-4-0 types might stall on the frogs at low speed.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
looks like a bargain, and a good way to get started, welcome aboard

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »
That really looks like a good deal. Well done and welcome to the forum.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:12 pm »
Hi Jimothy, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Don't worry about feeding the teenagers. Just send them pictures of food to their mobiles >:D
Keep your wife sweet though, as they tend to have the final say as 'Planning Authorities'.

Offline Jimothy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
Thanks for your welcomes! Just got back and set it up in the garden to see what condition it is all in. There's a bit of tidying up to do and I need to make heads and tails of the wiring but it all seems pretty good for the money. I might have to buy some track pieces and straighten some other bits out too. Here's some pics. (The first one looks like it's bending at one end but I think it's my camera doing funny things)

Offline Jimothy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:20 pm »
Hi Jimothy, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Don't worry about feeding the teenagers. Just send them pictures of food to their mobiles >:D
Keep your wife sweet though, as they tend to have the final say as 'Planning Authorities'.

:smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

Looking at the pictures of food is too much effort for them!

I've got brownie points for buying second hand and saving pennies. Saving pennies for a shiny new loco!  >:D

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:11 pm »
Looks better than in the ebay photos, we can now see the framework.  Looks like the two halves have lined up ok.    Those legs came with it? Interesting design.

You did well!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:54:58 pm »
How about some shots of the undersides - has it got DCC style bus wiring?  Point motors?

Offline Jimothy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:04 pm »
How about some shots of the undersides - has it got DCC style bus wiring?  Point motors?

He told me it was DCC wired, but I'm a complete noob in that area, I'll take some photos tomorrow when I get in from work and post them up. There are some gubbins bolted underneath for the points, but I've always used manual turnouts/points so wouldn't know if that was what it was for.

I've been reading lots on DCC this evening, it looks sooooo good! What does everyone use/have a preference for? I've read that I should steer clear of the Hornby offering, are they that bad?

Offline Jimothy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:51:34 pm »
I've nipped out to the shed to have a quick look underneath, and the points are motorised. There are levers as in the pictures which the points seem to be wired into. There's wiring also going off into a box which I'm assuming is an accessory decoder? So maybe wired up for analogue and digital perhaps?

Offline jonesyl

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:52 pm »
I am newbie also building from scratch, so will watch this thread with great interest. Good luck

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:43 pm »
I've nipped out to the shed to have a quick look underneath, and the points are motorised. There are levers as in the pictures which the points seem to be wired into. There's wiring also going off into a box which I'm assuming is an accessory decoder? So maybe wired up for analogue and digital perhaps?

Hello bloke. I've just noticed your location, is that Winslow, Buckinghamshire?

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 02:48:57 am »
G'day from Australia, Jimothy, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

If the points are already motorised,  then you did indeed get a bargain.

Looks like there are a couple of dodgy track joins at those bottom left curves, though. Easy enough to fix.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 06:58:15 am »
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a real bargain, enjoy the build and keep us posted on progress.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here