!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lima Classes 31 and 55 body removal  (Read 228 times)

Offline penrithbeacon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lima Classes 31 and 55 body removal
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:14:11 am »
My daughter-in-law's dad is an N Gauge modeller. Three of his models have stopped working and he has passed them to me in case I can fix them. The problem is that I can't see how to get the bodies off the chassis and I don't want to run the risk of damaging them.
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me how to do this for the Lima 31 and 55 models.
Regards

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Lima Classes 31 and 55 body removal
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:20 am »
IIRC the 31 has a screw on the top of the body.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:28 am »
I junked mine decades ago, but from memory I think clips on the sides under the cab doors (there are holes in the body), and possibly a screw in the bottom of the fuel tank on the 31?

Just ease the bodyshell apart slightly with fingernails or a thin blade.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:47:09 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:17:17 pm »
You also cant get the PAN motors for them anymore unfortunately..

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:15 pm »
The class 55 has steps under the drivers door. This is are holes in the plastic body through which a pip from the chassis holds the parts together. Just need to carefully pull the bottom of the body away from the chassis at these points.

Elmo

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:58:20 pm »
The 31 has a screw in the bottom of the fuel tank, IIRC.

You can get bits and pieces on EBay, but I see there is one in Italy being sold for over £100, and that is not what the loco is worth. In fact the ones being sold for £30 are over-priced, for what they are, so be careful how much you spend on fixing them. Hopefully its a simple fix like a wire has come off.

Bob

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Have to agree with  @Bob G - they're not worth spending anything on if (say) the motor has failed.   They were never particularly high quality models, both overscale - especially the 55 where it has to accomodate the typical Lima power bogie of that period under its nose.   You can get hold of carbon brushes and traction tyres. At least the motor is quite easy to access to clean the commutator. 

These days you can get far better models of both the 31 and 55.

I do still have memories of buying my Lima 31 in W&H Models in London. I seem to recall it was lurking in a cabinet in a particularly dark part of the shop!  I loved it at the time as a young lad.  Parts of it used to emerge from my scrap-box pile from time to time, but I think I've junked just about all my old Lima bits now.

What's the other one of the three models you mentioned @penrithbeacon  ?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:21:34 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 06:19:40 am »
IIRC the 31 has a screw on the top of the body.

The 31 has a screw in the bottom of the fuel tank, IIRC.

Correct, it's the Lima 86 I was thinking of.

As I had a bit of low-quality spare time to waste, I finally got round to stripping my example down and giving it a good clean, which has improved performance noticeably, and by "improved" I mean gone from "rubbish" to "runs reasonably consistently albeit in an extremely noisy and quite wobbly manner". I suspect it could be further improved made slighly less bad with some new traction tyres but I couldn't find my collection of spares.

Even then I think this is the worst locomotive I actually own.

As to why I bother - well I like collecting historical N gauge stuff, and also after messing about with one of these makes modern stuff look so much nicer despite various niggles.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:04 am »
G'day from Australia, penrithbeacon, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

All of the above is useful info, but these are indeed old and crude models. However, could be worth fixing for nostalgic reasons, as long as you don't spend too much on them - as some of the commentators above have pointed out.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:38 pm »
As to why I bother [with old Lima] - well I like collecting historical N gauge stuff

Me too, I have working examples of ancient Arnold and Piko,  Lone-Star Treble-O-Lectric, Ibertren 3-rail  and some of the Minitrix push-along stuff.    Gives me just as much pleasure to collect these old relics from the history of N gauge as it does running modern models.   

I regularly run Arnold models from the 70s and 80s on my exhibition layout, especially the ET420 multiple units - just love those  :D

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 04:50:44 pm »
As to why I bother [with old Lima] - well I like collecting historical N gauge stuff

Me too, I have working examples of ancient Arnold and Piko,  Lone-Star Treble-O-Lectric, Ibertren 3-rail  and some of the Minitrix push-along stuff.    Gives me just as much pleasure to collect these old relics from the history of N gauge as it does running modern models.   

I regularly run Arnold models from the 70s and 80s on my exhibition layout, especially the ET420 multiple units - just love those  :D

Yup, got me a Lone Star Class 24 which incredibly works, and a couple of Piko locos which also work (and are mechanically much better than Lima, e.g. centre-mounted can motor, pickups on both axles, very simple design), though my emphasis is more on Japanese "classics".

Back on topic (-ish), I suspect a container of Lima British N gauge stock got misdirected to Japan once, there's a surprising amount still floating about on the 2nd hand market, hence this 31:

Lima Class 31 D5518 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:59 pm »

Yup, got me a Lone Star Class 24 which incredibly works, and a couple of Piko locos which also work (and are mechanically much better than Lima, e.g. centre-mounted can motor, pickups on both axles, very simple design), though my emphasis is more on Japanese "classics".

Back on topic (-ish), I suspect a container of Lima British N gauge stock got misdirected to Japan once, there's a surprising amount still floating about on the 2nd hand market, hence this 31:

Lima Class 31 D5518 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

My what lovely deep set eyes you have...

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything