!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My go at coach roof weathering inspired by the Farish 'Works Test Train'  (Read 612 times)

Offline STEVE44

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26049
    • Awards
Hi, great job done there. I hope you show your latest efforts when you are done. Keep the good work up.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Must say NeMo. Looking back through this thread, that's a cracking bit of weathering. In my preserved railway world most of my locos and stock just have to be pristine to keep the small N gauge punters happy. I hire a small army of N gauge cleaners to keep things highly polished and looking like new!!!
All the same great work... If I needed a weathered coach - yours would be the MUST have solution. Great stuff.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Second try, this time trying out darker colours and working through a batch of coaches! Used a much darker metallic shade for the base colour. Once that had dried, applied a bit of the rust spray, and left that to dry.

The result was rather bolder than before -- the original coach is at the back, the two in front are using the darker colours. Not sure it's necessarily better, but being able to weather coaches to different degrees will certainly add variety to any train, so I'm calling this a win/win!

The basic method was as described earlier, the main change being that I dry brushed a bit from the Tamiya weathering powder B set (snow, soot and rust). I was a bit worried that two bold colours might look a bit 'comic book' without some attempt at blending, which the powders helped to do. Once dry brushed, some matt varnish was added to keep everything in place. This is of course the Electra Graphics 'Trib Train' set of vinyls, which will probably need some matt varnish and/or weathering on the carriage sides to really look finished.

The salt crystals do result in some interesting effects, very suggestive of paintwork peeling back where rain and time has done its worst!

Together with the weathered bogies, I think these old GraFar Mk1 carriages have really been given a new lease of life!

So there we have it. Quick and easy way to distress old rolling stock: a few minutes to spray each coat of paint, an hour or two drying time between coats (using enamels, anyway) was sufficient, except of course for the final matt varnish that will probably need to be left overnight to get really dry.

If @Zwilnik is right and the Bachmann/Farish version is a print, I'm even more pleased with how easy this job turned out to be!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
That looks really good NeMo. Excellent results!

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Great article - thank you!

Mike

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
One word. Brilliant! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
Your second attempt looks much more muted and looks more to scale (to my eyes at least). Which photos did you use for reference?

Have you considered adding a wash of black/dark grey paint? Use a wide/flat paint brush and work across the coach to give the effect of rain running down the curve of the roof.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Which photos did you use for reference?
Oops! No source. Just loosely copied from the Farish model.

Have you considered adding a wash of black/dark grey paint?
Hadn't considered doing this, but I'm a big fan of ink washes and dry-brushed highlights, and might well try out some combo once the paintwork is completely dry. The only problem with ink washes is they tend to darken everything, and I think the 'bleached' look is what helps here.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Yep, that second effort is exccellent, much more realistic than Farish's effort. Well done.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything