Help me spend some money - choosing between Farish diesels

Started by NeMo, July 15, 2017, 07:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

So I've got some credit at Hattons.

On their bargain shelf at the moment are a few things I'd like; to wit, 37514 in Railfreight 'metals', 37406 in Railfreight 'distribution', 37133 in the Dutch engineering livery, and the 31 in that odd BR green with full yellow ends that'd work nicely alongside my blue liveried hydraulics.

Any of these stand out as being particularly nice models? Or for that matter, am I overlooking something else I should really think about?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000398/1000635/Graham_Farish_Diesel_locos/Bargain_List.aspx?sort=5&pageid=1

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

scottmitchell74

Smooth as silk and pulled 8 coaches and 11 North American cars easily, at all speeds.

It's very gorgeous, as well.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Luke Piewalker

NeMo

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on July 15, 2017, 07:41:11 PM
would that Warship not go well?

Got two already! But must admit, I've thought about a third.

Have one BR blue 37, but no 31, so there's that...

Cheers, NeMo

Newportnobby

37s are like holes in a derriere - everyone's got one. Go for the 31 :)
(And before anyone shouts at me, I have 2 x 37s)

NeMo

Quote from: newportnobby on July 15, 2017, 09:10:31 PM
37s are like holes in a derriere - everyone's got one. Go for the 31 :)

That's my instinctive choice. WR loco, and all that. But the reviews of the Farish Class 31 elsewhere on this forum aren't exactly glowing!

Cheers, NeMo

Newportnobby

I have the older version (371-104) and the newer version (371-111) and they both run fine although they do whine a bit. Then again, so does my weathered 37.

Bob G

Nothing wrong with that 31.

It was based at Old Oak and Bristol Bath Road, and (along with the 25/3s on the WR in two tone green and FYE) replaced the 22s when they were scrapped.

Here it is hauling a passenger train near Didcot in 1973. http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0219020154000

Here is a similar one at Bristol in 1972-73. http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p857901357 and search 5843.

HTH
Bob

njee20

The 37s are disgustingly cheap at Rails currently, if you really want one get one there. Our use the credit on something else personally.

RailGooner

Quote from: NeMo on July 15, 2017, 07:08:49 PM
the 31 in that odd BR green with full yellow ends that'd work nicely alongside my blue liveried hydraulics.

I reckon you've answered your own question there. For me though, it would will be 37514. :D

Ian Bowden

When I am tempted I give in every time. Resisting just leads to sleepless nights and regrets. They both look excellent

scottmitchell74

Quote from: Ian Bowden on July 16, 2017, 12:17:53 AM
When I am tempted I give in every time. Resisting just leads to sleepless nights and regrets. They both look excellent

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone. I know it's the dreaded "fear of missing out" but when I see prices/sales like this...I dwell and dwell and, yes, I give in as well.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations