!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Diamonds in the yard!  (Read 587 times)

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Diamonds in the yard!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:52:56 am »
Good question Donald

I take it that the track against the wall is your main line? Do the two tracks on the left hand side of the loop (bottom picture) need to curve back and join the wall track? I'm think they could serve some sort of industry. It's a pity that the space you've allocated isn't a bit wider.

I like the idea of the crossing though.

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 02:42:37 pm »
Hi Donald

Great track work!!
Very interesting track arrangement, Donald!
I'm pretty sure you can come up with good reason for this trackages.
Although I'm not good at finding those scenario, somebody diffenatly can find it.
As an amateur observer, often real railroads have strange track arrangements too. (must have a reason for it but I can't find it)

Looking forward to seeing your yard development, Donald!!

Dats

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:49 pm »
Webbo
My key aim with this section of the layout is to get a useful operating fiddle yard, so yes, the tracks need to come back together as I want to be able to pull a train in, then remove and reverse out the engines with maybe a bit of shuffling of cabooses too.

My ambition will take me around another two sides of my shed in due course too, so I need a through line connection, and the illogically diverging and converging tracks idea comes mainly from one of my regular pass-through stations at Carstairs, where the British east coast main line meets the west coast mainline in a triangle, one leg of which has two lines that sort of do the same thing.

I can't provide a link as I'm on a phone ATM but if you google map it you can see the top leg has two lines that separate and rejoin using two different amounts of curvature to achieve this. Both lines have overhead power but I've only ever been taken through one of them. The space between them is just space and scrubland but I'm pondering a rock outcrop or possibly some building or other for my own location. Tending to rock outcrop as a small layout needs a good hint of countryside to make it feel a bit bigger!

Dats - I'm waiting on you showing more tips before I progress the scenery!
Donald
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:26:37 pm by mr magnolia »

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:28:23 am »
Donald,

I like the idea of an outcrop, or perhaps a grove of trees/bushes. On the Carstairs Google Earth image I see what you mean. There it looks like there is just a bit of waste ground between the tracks.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm