!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Memory woes  (Read 552 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Memory woes
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »
Reinforcing my avoidance of 10, still running 7 with no problems (since I turned off updates)
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:29 am »
Hi there I had a computer with the same motherboard but it is well gone now and I no longer have the manual. You could try resetting the bios by removi g the battery and moving the jumper, then see if it auto detects the memory. If not set it manually has  previously suggested.

Thanks. I was keeping that as the "nuclear option" in case all else fails and I'm desperately trying to keep the beast working. I don't like doing things that can have widespread consequences but whose effects I'm unsure of. I much prefer to diagnose what is actually awry and take targeted action if at all possible.

Are you sure this is not the well documented Windows 10 tablet version incompatability issue?

I've got no idea what that is, I'm afraid. It's happily passed me by! Any link?

I don't think I've ever put this machine in tablet mode, and my tablet is running fine. I wouldn't rule anything out, but I'll be very surprised if this is a Windows issue. Windows 10 has been running without problems on all my machines since I upgraded them soon after release. My problem is very directly linked to which memory sticks are in the machine, so I'm inclined to think @escafeld is on the right track. Occam's Razor, and all that.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:21:24 am »
I've got no idea what that is, I'm afraid. It's happily passed me by! Any link?

I don't think I've ever put this machine in tablet mode
That is exactly what happens, the computer enters Tablet Mode, even with the option disabled
As the option is disabled the pointing devices are also disabled!

Online Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:31 am »
I don't think that's what is happening. Tablet mode is visibly very different on my desktop PC because I have a lot of applications pinned to the Taskbar, which disappear when tablet mode is invoked. (I just checked.) It would be difficult to miss that.

Odd behaviour, though. IIRC, invoking tablet mode on my tablet doesn't disconnect either keyboard or mouse (I have a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set for it.)

You mentioned the Windows key. I do have one. How is it relevant?
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:02 am »
Yesterday one of my computers entered Tablet Mode twice, and the other one once
There is no visible difference, the mouse and keyboard becomes disabled
As above, the only way out of this is to use the Windows Key, which then gives access to the Taskbar, and to then tab to perform a Restart

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here