!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 47/3 Box  (Read 550 times)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Class 47/3 Box
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:36:10 am »
With all the work related things going on in my life at present, time has been very precious especially with setting up my workshop at home. Quite a few projects now queuing up for when I eventually cut that big ball and chain from my ankle and retire from my full time occupation.

Circumstances have massively delayed my plans regarding SNG Plastics  ::)  The desire to work full time and produce new accessories for the hobby grows stronger, I only wish there was more time in a day. Why does it seem the older one gets the less time there is? Ah well I guess I am sort of lucky in one way as I would rather be busy than bored! 

Anyway thought I would just pop a few pics of this little project that I have managed to find some precious time to complete.  Credit go's to Russell and Dan (RussellH & Deserthound) who have inspired me with their enthusiasm on their crusade to keep the old Farish Poole stock alive and give some long overdue variation to it.

Hope you like the pics
Mr Sprue

Newly cast masters (complete with flashing!)...

One cleaned up and fitted..

This one cast in black resin...

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Class 47/3 Box
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:30 am »
A nice little upgrade there   :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Gary Burcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:59:41 am »
when you're ready, I could do with some of these!

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »
Class 47/3 ?
This looks more like the standard Long Range Fuel tank, or is the image incorrect?
If it is, then it is there something specific to the Class 47/3 that is not readily visible?

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »
Class 47/3 ?
This looks more like the standard Long Range Fuel tank, or is the image incorrect?
If it is, then it is there something specific to the Class 47/3 that is not readily visible?

Yes the image is correct.

However the number in question is the part number I have given to the part for when it becomes available. The previous one I produce is SNG47/0  ;)

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
Very nice ! count me in for a few !

Robert

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:59:05 pm »
SNG47/0
SNG47/3
Now that makes sense, and here was me looking for something to do with the Class 47/3 !

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:03:34 pm »
SNG47/0
SNG47/3
Now that makes sense, and here was me looking for something to do with the Class 47/3 !

There is another to follow!  ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 09:41:09 am »
Maybe worth renumbering your system so they relate to the class 47 subtype rather than simply your version? Might save you having to explain this to future customers repeatedly!

Intrigued to see what the others are too!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline sawyerm1982

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
With all the work related things going on in my life at present, time has been very precious especially with setting up my workshop at home. Quite a few projects now queuing up for when I eventually cut that big ball and chain from my ankle and retire from my full time occupation.

Circumstances have massively delayed my plans regarding SNG Plastics  ::)  The desire to work full time and produce new accessories for the hobby grows stronger, I only wish there was more time in a day. Why does it seem the older one gets the less time there is? Ah well I guess I am sort of lucky in one way as I would rather be busy than bored! 

Anyway thought I would just pop a few pics of this little project that I have managed to find some precious time to complete.  Credit go's to Russell and Dan (RussellH & Deserthound) who have inspired me with their enthusiasm on their crusade to keep the old Farish Poole stock alive and give some long overdue variation to it.

Hope you like the pics
Mr Sprue

Newly cast masters (complete with flashing!)...

One cleaned up and fitted..

This one cast in black resin...

Those look fantastic, put me down for several!!!

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »
Maybe worth renumbering your system so they relate to the class 47 subtype rather than simply your version? Might save you having to explain this to future customers repeatedly!

Intrigued to see what the others are too!

Cheers,
Alan

You have a point there Alan, from the research that I made this is what I came up with (with the help of MR PJ on RM):

Class 47/0 - all of them were built with steam heat capability and associated water tanks. A great number had the boilers and water tanks removed from the 1980s onwards.  In privatisation days, many had long-range tanks fitted, along with the 47/3s. Arrangements not always like 47/8s

Class 47/3 -were fitted with battery boxes only as built. Strangely they had steam heat on/off buttons in the cabs - but obviously no way of delivering any heat to the train.

Class 47/4  - most were initially fitted with steam heat boilers (up until at least 47547), but many were isolated in due course, and a number had the water tanks removed (e.g 47470).

Class 47/7 - had a long-range fuel tank arrangement similar (but not exactly the same) to the later Class 47/8s. The later 47/7 (721 and above) got long range tanks fitted too, but not quite the same.

The box/tank arrangement that I have made should relate to 47/7, the only reason I numbered it 47/3 is that there is on more which is 47/2 which is the arrangement with water tanks removed from a ETH fitted locomotive.

Ah well when the series is completed to avoid confusion perhaps it may be prudent to provide a picture for the appropriate part number! 

Regards
Dave

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:16:58 pm »
Dave

I have sent you a PM sir.

Cheers
Anthony
1994-1998 West Mids WCML OMWB thread can be found here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=3989.0

My German modelling thread also layout construction can be found here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7798.0 Member of The N Gauge Society, Germany Railway Society & European Railway Association

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything