!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Grafar Bullied Pacific detailing and shortening tender link  (Read 370 times)

Offline Seawise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21217
    • Awards
I wish to detail my Bullied Pacifics and shorten the tender link(minimum 12" radius).
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Have recently had my Schools and U class weathered by Grimytimes, thoroughly recommend.
Regards
Chris
Let your dreams become your favourite memories

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Grafar Bullied Pacific detailing and shortening tender link
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:24 am »
Here is a link to fitting an Nbrass scale bogie:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33219.msg382850#msg382850
I have left the gap between engine and tender alone for the moment as it is a bit involved and hardly worth the effort for 12" minimum radius curves, which is what I have on my layout

hope this helps

Alex

Offline Seawise

• N Gauge Society Number: 21217
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 02:18:23 pm »
Thanks Alex, that's a great link.
Regards
Chris
Let your dreams become your favourite memories

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:36:41 pm »
Hi

I have used the n brass front bogie on the Bullied re-built version and it does cause significant constriants on curves. Not sure which version you are planning the up-grade on. Certainly 12" radius curves will be a problem on the re-built version unless you fix the bogie a little further forward than it should be to clear the value gear. The bogies do look good but are very light and getting good running without de-railing and wheels retotating freely is challenging.

The loco with the most success was a Duchess which is a big loco with room around the value gear and that needed the back of the cylinders carved out to manage 12" cruves. Even with carefull assembly it had problems with one wheel set not retotating freely.

What would have been ideal is a less detailed cast bogie block with wheels only slightly under size, the same approach as the re-tooled newer locos

Remember n brass is a fine scale supplier and their bogies are based on this principle

Hope the detailing project goes well

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:51:09 pm by Rabbitaway »

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:37 pm »
Hi

I have used the n brass front bogie on the Bullied re-built version and it does cause significant constriants on curves. Not sure which version you are planning the up-grade on. Certainly 12" radius curves will be a problem on the re-built version unless you fix the bogie a little further forward than it should be to clear the value gear. The bogies do look good but are very light and getting good running without de-railing and wheels retotating freely is challenging.

The loco with the most success was a Duchess which is a big loco with room around the value gear and that needed the back of the cylinders carved out to manage 12" cruves. Even with carefull assembly it had problems with one wheel set not retotating freely.

What would have been ideal is a less detailed cast bogie block with wheels only slightly under size, the same approach as the re-tooled newer locos

Remember n brass is a fine scale supplier and their bogies are based on this principle

Hope the detailing project goes well

If you follow the link to a thread that I placed in my earlier post, you will find that I found a way to make the valve gear on rebuilt Bullieds miss the rear bogie wheels on 12 inch curves. as to the inside of the cylinders, a considerable amount of plastic needs removing to give the rear bogie wheels clearance, maybe you need to revisit this.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »
Alex

I did read the the later post in your tread after posting the reply

Aware of the need to carve the back of the cylinders but not sure I am keen to attempt to bend out the value gear as if it breaks likely a loco write off or at best a difficult repair. I have used the longer bar supplied as an alternative and bogie sits a little forward meaning no work required on the cylinders and no risk in bending the value gear

Thanks

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »
I also use the longer swing arm for the bogie, but the rear wheels still hit the union link/combination lever and I did not know what to do next.
Fortunately I saw a rebuilt Bullied pacific for sale on Ebay that was fitted with an Nbrass bogie, and I saw that the union link/combination lever had been bent ever so slightly outwards. so I decided to try it, and using two small pairs of pliers carefully bent them outwards. I must admit I did sweat a little, but it worked. if you want a picture, I will post one when I return from holiday

Hope this helps,

Alex

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:30:40 am »
I've fitted this to my rebuilt bullied with none of the mods described - the key is to get the position of the wheels correct relative to the cylinders - often with these bogies neither drawbar that N Brass provide is quite right, so I generally shorten the longer of the two to precisely the correct length.

The cylinders sit astride the bogie wheels so should not clash unless you have super tight curves (mine have run on 12" radius, but I fit them to be able to go round 9" curves, in case I end up with less layout space in the future!).

I also filed down the edges of the wheel overlays that simulate the Boxpok wheels so they could sit recessed in the hubs, which looks so much better than simply overlaying them and having them sit proud.

Now that Dapol have canned their rebuilt, I should revisit detailing the front end of this one - looking a little bare by modern standards!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything