Darker view

Started by Byegad, June 29, 2017, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byegad

Hi. While I like the forum I do find the background very bright on my computer screen. Would it be possible to offer a choice of the white and a greyed down background, please?

As it is I'm constantly turning down the screen brightness as I swap from other sites to this one, them having to turn it back up to read emails or visit other sites.

Thanks.

Bob G

I like white space.

I don't like the latest fad of going back to black on photo hosting sites. It reminds me of the early days of computing, when you had green LED generated text flickering on a black VDU screen...

njee20

Yep, must say I've never once wanted a darker site.

daffy

Easier than adjusting screen brightness, at least on the iPad I use to view the Forum, would be to slip on a pair of lightly tinted sunglasses, like the old clip-ons I have from days long ago.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Screen brightness can be adjusted in two finger swipes on an iPad, it would be harder to switch to a different forum skin.

keithfre

I certainly don't want to have to try to read black on a grey background.

Malc

Quote from: njee20 on June 29, 2017, 07:18:59 PM
Screen brightness can be adjusted in two finger swipes on an iPad, it would be harder to switch to a different forum skin.
Doesn't actually work while you are in the forum. Swiping up doesn't bring up the control panel, just scrolls the forum.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daffy

Malc, that's what I thought too, but my wife pointed out that I wasnt starting my upward swipe low down enough. A swipe from just off the bottom of the screen and most times i tried it brings up the Control Panel.
I don't do it though as I'm happy with the current screen settings for all the things I look at.

Still reckon it's easier and more consistent to put on some shades. Those old clip-ons of mine are hinged, so flip-down, or flip-up, a single swipe. Not that I've ever tried it, mind.  ;)

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Yep, start off the bottom of the screen. I do 99% of my browsing on an iOS device.

port perran

Didn't know that you could do that on an ipad. Certainly works ok. Thanks for the tip.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

The Q

I don't like an all white background as I find it blinding, however the most important aspect these days as the eyes begin to fail with age, is a good contrast between the back ground and the text.
I have seen shop sites where they use multiple colours to attract attention, I find that annoying and when the get say yellow on white impossible to read..

Bealman

My eyesight ain't what it used to be, for sure, but that makes a bright display more desirable!  :thumbsup:

It's fine on my PC, tablet and phone.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

This site has it about right I think - a light grey shade for the background.  Wouldn't want to go any darker or there wouldn't be enough contrast for the text.

As I work with two computers and 4 screens all day in the office, I tend to run my monitors/screens at quite a low brightness.  I might vary it a bit according to what I'm looking at - for example I'll up the brightness a bit to view photos, especially when checking the state of potential purchases!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I've never seen a forum offer a choice of background and don't find this one inordinately bright.

Any reason for being rude to Only Me, are you offering to be the webmaster?

joe cassidy

What's an "ipad" ?

Joe
(age 59)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations