!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How easy to replace an early crest with a late crest?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
How easy to replace an early crest with a late crest?
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »
I have a few DCC locos with early crests. How easy is it to remove the crest and replace with late ones please? Are there any tutorials showing how to do this?
Cheers Dennis.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:48:32 pm by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
Re: How easy to replace an early crest with a late crest?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:00:37 pm »
Once you've bought the correct decals, it's very easy, on black locomotives' to remove the old ones with some lightly applied paint stripper before applying the new decal. If need be prepared to use a little black paint to smooth out any fading at the site of the removal. For other colours have some paint of the correct colour ready to apply if need be. I've done several of these and while my first attempts weren't perfect a little light weathering disguised any imperfections.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »
Hi Byegad,
Thanks for the information. I will give it a go.
Regards Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:36:47 am »
I have renumbered a couple of locos and replaced totems by applying t-cut with a cocktail stick. it does take a little time, but does less damage to the paintwork - see the attached thread http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23691.msg446667#new

hope this helps

Alex

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:12 am »
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the info and the link. Well impressed with your workshop thread. You are obviously well versed at re-numbering etc. I actually have Micro Sol which I might try first as that can be used to soften transfers. If not successful, I will try the T-cut method.
Regards Dennis.

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:33 pm »
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the info and the link. Well impressed with your workshop thread. You are obviously well versed at re-numbering etc. I actually have Micro Sol which I might try first as that can be used to soften transfers. If not successful, I will try the T-cut method.
Regards Dennis.
Thanks for the compliment, but those two were my first attempts after listening to others on this forum, Dr Al amongst others, I tried to find the exact thread for you but haven't found it yet, but the method worked and I was pleased with the results I got. there is a tremendous amount of help and information on this forum, I learn something new almost every time I log on

Regards,

Alex

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »
I would avoid the paint stripper method and use T-cut or even something relatively soft like a wooden tooth pick.  I have used a blunt, flat jeweller's screwdriver, held nearly horizontal, as well, but you have to be VERY careful not to scratch the plastic if you use the latter.

After removing the old transfer, I seal the newly exposed paintwork with Johnson's Seal (now renamed-can't remember its new name, but its on the Forum), allow to dry, apply transfer with addition of Micro Sol, allow to dry, seal with Johnson's seal again, top coat varnish of choice, then weather to choice.

It sounds a little long winded, but I've renumbered or replaced lots of crests on my locos using this method.

HTH

Martyn

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:28:00 pm by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:11 pm »
Hi Martyn,
many thanks for your input. Will check out the forum for the Johnson's seal.
Regards Dennis.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:28 pm »
There are many ways of doing this.

Current Farish is the easiest - they use tampo-printed numbers, crests and lining, which actually come off pretty easily. I've done this to many, and detailed the process I used for both a diesel (class 31) and a Steam loco in thread below:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27336.60

Dapol and old Farish have printing that doesn't come off so easily, which is where the T-cut techniques are used, but these do need extreme care to not thin the underlying paint so much that you plunge through it to a (normally black) underlying surface.

Overpainting the old number, crest etc is not a good method generally as getting a perfect match to manufacturer paint is virtually impossible. However, if there's an edge, lining etc then you can use tricks like painting a whole panel right up to the feature/edge, which then disguises any slight tone difference - the edge breaks up to the eye, so you won't notice it. But it's still best to remove the underlying print as this is raised fractionally above the surface so can show through overpainting.

Of course sometimes even despite all that things don't quite go right - this A3 lost a bit of green (back to that black surface) behind the numbers - but the new numbers and weathering make this basically impossible to spot unless you are really really looking for it.

This A3 was also re-crested to BR late from early, using a combination of light scraping technique as in the above thread and the T-Cut technique to get the final parts off.

After new decals are placed (usually on Farish the surface is shiny enough to not need pre-varnishing, and if t-cut the surface will be polished gloss anyway) they do want sealed with a post-varnish - either as part of a full spray of the entire model (often preferrable, as it also seals in the factory tampo print, which can be pretty vulnerable), or patch painting again up to an appropriate edge to break up and slight differences to the eye. For this I use fast drying Humbrol Satin or Matt-cotes, meaning a complete renumbering or re-crest from start to finish can be done in around an hour. If I do need to pre-varnish, I use Humbrol Gloss Cote as this dries in 15 mins.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:34:54 pm by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:37:52 pm »
Hi;

it is Johnson's Klear, not Seal.

Humble apologies.

MMartyn

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »
To Martyn,
Thanks for the update. Just googled it and I think it has been re-named as "Magic Wash Redux.
Correction:- re-named as "Pledge Multi-Surface Wax".
To Alan,
Thanks for the very informative information response. Am I correct in thinking that the Humbrol Gloss Cote would just be dabbed on locally where I am about to put the new decals?
Regards Dennis.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:56:37 pm by Delboy, Reason: Information Correction. »

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:44 pm »
Thanks for the very informative information response. Am I correct in thinking that the Humbrol Gloss Cote would just be dabbed on locally where I am about to put the new decals?

Patch paint it - up to a defined edge - like the cab side, or the nearest lining. If you don't then the varnish edge will stand out and be impossible to completely disguise.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »
Thanks for clearing that point up.
Dennis.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 12:50:59 pm »
Try first on a cheapo old coach or wagon, or old loco bodyshell before attacking your best loco!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 01:34:29 pm »
I have to say I wasn't brave enough to use a scalpel!!!

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here