!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Undoing Farish Weathering  (Read 977 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Undoing Farish Weathering
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:41:06 am »
Just ordered a Farish Warship at a silly price, but the main reason for not ordering 810 Cockade before is the awful generic weathering muck that Farish has sprayed over it.
I have looked at many photos of Blue Warships of this era and although the underskirts may have been grubby, the upper bodywork was usually in much better visual condition than 810 is portrayed in by Farish.

I expect the overspray is acrylic based. is there anything that can be done to remove it, or would I be better off stripping the entire body and respraying in a clean BR blue, and then I can weather it myself and have the warship of my choice in the state of dirtiness of my choice?

Bob

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Undoing Farish Weathering
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:20 am »
Bob, to be honest, I don't mind the Farish weathering. Much better than I could do.

However, I'm sure someone will come up with a solution....

Not ipa, though!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:53:12 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:25:24 am »
Aren't acrylics water based paints? Maybe some warm water might do the trick, unless it's been sealed with a matt enamel varnish :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:53 am »
OK the loco was a bargain but seems a hell of a lot of effort.   Don't Farish do an unweathered blue one you could renumber/rename?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:36:23 am »
I'd actually buy the weathered version!  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:15 pm »
What about looking for another body for the loco or maybe trying to find someone who will do a swop?

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
The weathering is why I haven't jumped on that price myself. Great price, but not sure about the weathering.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »
Just ordered a Farish Warship at a silly price, but the main reason for not ordering 810 Cockade before is the awful generic weathering muck that Farish has sprayed over it.
I have looked at many photos of Blue Warships of this era and although the underskirts may have been grubby, the upper bodywork was usually in much better visual condition than 810 is portrayed in by Farish.

I expect the overspray is acrylic based. is there anything that can be done to remove it, or would I be better off stripping the entire body and respraying in a clean BR blue, and then I can weather it myself and have the warship of my choice in the state of dirtiness of my choice?

Bob
Just ordering one myself.  The price overcame the dislike of the extra heavy muck sprayed on it.  Picture looks more of victim of a mud fight than weathering, seems to have a splatter pattern from the airbrush rather than a fine misting.  Can only hope the pic is not representative of all the manufacturing run.

Was going to try to reduce some of the mud splatter when mine arrives, testing on a least visible site.
If the base colour was enamel and the "weathering" acrylic then simple job with alcohol to remove but most likely base is also acrylic.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline BobB

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:59:14 pm »
Try using cotton buds soaked in alcohol. Stop when the base colour (blue ?) starts showing on the cotton bud. If the 'muck' has not gone completely it will at least be reduced.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »
OK the loco was a bargain but seems a hell of a lot of effort.   Don't Farish do an unweathered blue one you could renumber/rename?

I have the two previous blue versions, Hercules and Kelly, but they are the original double arrow under each cab version of the livery, and I wanted a blue one with the later "D" less number with central BR arrow version. It is just as described by @NinOz - like it has been in a mud wrestling match. It's effectively the same price as the previous two were when discounted in 2008 and 2010 when they were produced, and about 35-40% off current RRP, so by current prices its a steal for respraying if necessary.

I just have a thing about Warships - I had a load of the Minitrix ones too, until I saw the light and sold them on. I got D832 in green too. Even though it is sold as being in "as preserved" livery, to try to make it more attractive to buyers, it is really no different to saying it is in original green SYP livery, which all warships started out as (apart from the SYP of course).

I like the idea of alcohol wipes, and if that doesn't work, I will just strip it and start again.

Bob

Offline Jonas

• 2mm Association Number: 5046
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:33 pm »
Some T-cut on a cotton bud works but go VERY carefully and use sparingly. It will remove numbers, nameplates and logos - which is fine if you want to renumber as it leaves it nice and shiny for transfers! Spray with a coat of matt or satin varnish to taste once you are happy you've removed enough (don't forget to mask the windows first).

Offline RichardBenn

• N Gauge Society Number: 23407
  • 2mm Association Number: 3998
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:20:56 am »
The best way I have found to reduce Farish weathering is to use weathering techniques but using the body colour  :D

I use dry brushing and find this an easy way to tone the weathering down to a usable level.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:31 pm »
Three days later, no sign of Hattons picking or packing my two Warships, so I cancelled my order and bought from Rails, saving £9 in the process.

I can't abide Rails new site (too much like the old Signal Box website upgrade which happened just before they went bust), but they have already emailed me to tell me it has been posted on a 24h delivery service so I should expect them tomorrow. Amazing difference in service.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Bob

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 12:43:53 pm »
Two warships arrived today. Super service from Rails.

Problem - the green one works well, the other (Cockade, which was weathered) ran like a bag of nails from the box (split gears I reckon) and was missing one of its moulded cab steps before I even got it out the box. Its going back for a swap.
In the flesh, the weathering is not as bad as it looks in the trade press photos - compared with Hercules or Kelly it is dull, however, and the overspray has not been kind to the cab windows either (not masked before doing it).
I have seen that BR Lines has spares of the unadulterated bodies of D822 Hercules and D827 Kelly for about £18. I might rename and renumber one of these and then use the 810 body as a practice for cleaning it up. I quite fancy D802 Formidable (although it didn't run in blue for long), or D866 Zebra.

Oh dear.
Bob

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 01:36:21 pm »

In the flesh, the weathering is not as bad as it looks in the trade press photos - compared with Hercules or Kelly it is dull, however, and the overspray has not been kind to the cab windows either (not masked before doing it).
Class 42 "Cockade" arrived today.  As you noted the weathering is nowhere near as rough as the stock photos, a little dark on the yellow ends but quite nice overall.
Just hope it runs as well as it looks. :thumbsup:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything