!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Grainge and Hodder, Work Tray  (Read 115 times)

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Grainge and Hodder, Work Tray
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:09:01 pm »
Grainge and Hodder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Airfix-Modelling-Painting-Tray-Laser-Cut-Table-Crafting-Wargaming-/382128998658?

Cost 25.00

Post and Packaging

Post cost 4.99 (UK mainland) and was delivered by Hermes. Delivery is estimated at 4 weeks, mine arrived exactly 3 weeks from date of order. I had mine delivered to work so don't know if a signature was required. The package was 635x500x20 mm.

The packaging is very good and appears to be custom made for this product. The 10 parts are a snug fit in the packaging with no need for any additional padding material. There's also an A4 sheet of parts/instructions.

Assembly
This is a typical mortise and tenon type jigsaw of lasercut ply parts. The finish and fit of the parts was generally good. The instructions advise rubbing down edges to remove splinters, but I found no need for this.

Some parts were a little bowed. This warranted deviating from the instructions slightly. Step 7 instructs "Glue parts 8 to the back of the base where marked.".

During my dry fit, I 'd found parts 8 were bowed.

So, I promoted step 7 up to step 3. This allowed me to clamp the parts taking account of the bowing.

Some laser cut kits are an interference fit and joints are strong without gluing. Not so here. Some mortise holes are oversized and some tenon tongues are overlong. But I only found this presented a problem on the final step, step 7.

The tenon tongues of part 5 Base Cross Member needed sanding flush with part 1 Base, before following the instruction to "Glue part 7 to the front edge of the tray.".

Aside from a coat of varnish to seal the ply, that's it finished.

Summary
Quality of parts       9/10
Ease of assembly    9/10
Value for money       9/10

Overall I'm happy with it. Assembly was easy enough, with no real snags or gotchas as long as you first do a dry fit of all parts. Some parts would have benefitted from having the grain orientated differently. Specifically part 5 Base Cross Member - would have been stiffer if the grain ran longitudinally.

This is part of a modular system that includes storage trays designed to stack underneath the Work Tray. I can see myself ordering some of those soon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:40:44 pm by RailGooner »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Grainge and Hodder, Work Tray
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »
Just needs a suitable sized bean bag underneath so you can use it on your knee :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything