!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 45xx strip-down  (Read 103 times)

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
Dapol 45xx strip-down
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:03 am »
I've fitted a CT DCX77zN decoder to my second-hand Dapol 45xx. Being so small it goes in very easily and gives a dramatically improved performance. So far, so good.

I'm now trying to strip down the chassis to clean the pick-ups. I removed the brake rodding and keeper plate in the hope that the drivers and connecting rods would drop out as a unit but they have not obliged. I'm wary of removing crank pins or upsetting the quartering. Can anyone guide me on next steps please?

Offline JanW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 45xx strip-down
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:28:29 am »
If I remember correctly the axle slots are a bit narrower where the axles have to come out.
I gently levered them out with a small screwdriver under the wheel rim, with the tip resting on the ballast weight (inside of the side tanks).

But I think it is safer to leave te wheels in place and remove possible hairs and gunge with the tip of a needle or toothpick.
The wheels are (can be?) a bit loose on the axles and quartering is easily lost.

Jan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here