!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SNCF coaches in N gauge  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
SNCF coaches in N gauge
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:02 am »
I've started a new thread as we were straying off topic in 'European N Gauge Goofs' because the conversation had turned to what is good not what is bad!

So back to Lima DEVs

Are the Lima UIC coaches flush glazed?

Absolutely yes. The rendition of the windows was superb for a model tooled in the 1980s

Here is the B9c9 Couchettes version

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:53:03 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: SNCF coaches in N gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:48:49 am »
Was that the only 9 compartment DEV release?
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 07:33:35 pm »
I found a couple of Artrain UIC green 2nds on Ebay, but at a quoted price of Euro 175.00 each I'll give them a miss for a while. I thought at first the quoted price was for a twin-pack or even a triple-pack but no, that was a single coach.
A pair would be nice for my early 1970s DB Moselbahn layout, but not at that price!

I have now got my first Artrain coaches (a 4-car Le Capitole set) and they are really not that good quality. On the German forum, SNCF Ep. IV coaches also became a subject recently. I have read there that Artrain/Transmondia are planning a re-release (still without coupler kinematic) this year.
http://www.transmondia-trains.com/FR~Nos_Fabrications (pages 3-5) - price: €42 which seems more appropriate.

Also, REE/Mikadotrain are (re-?)releasing the DEV AO soon, although only in Ep. IIIa first. Sample photos here:
http://www.trains160.com/en/rolling-stock-to-reserve/5905-voiture-dev-ao-courte-c10-ep-iiia.html

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:34:10 am »
I have read there that Artrain/Transmondia are planning a re-release (still without coupler kinematic) this year.

This has been promised for approaching 3 years and Transmondia have a history of being very slow at producing promised items.

Also, REE/Mikadotrain are (re-?)releasing the DEV AO soon, although only in Ep. IIIa first. [/url]

Absolutely not a 're'-release.

These are all new, and there are loads more than just the Epoch III on the way .

See: https://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-n
(scroll down to 'Voitures Voyageurs DEV AO N')

The Postal coaches they have just produced are superb. I got mine at the Lille Trainsmania show.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:36:47 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »
The REE/Mikadotrain DEV coaches have been released. Pictures:
http://afan.fr/blog/index.php/2017/06/16/mikadotrain-ree-les-voitures-dev/

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 05:41:35 pm »
The randomly posed window blinds are a nice touch. :thumbsup: Think I'll have to borrow that. :beers:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:38:28 am »
The randomly posed window blinds are a nice touch. :thumbsup: Think I'll have to borrow that. :beers:

Ouch!

That is the one aspect of the models that has produced much criticism and comment!

The models are superb, but do suffer from a few assembly / design issues and have been the subject of extensive discussion on French forums.

I have bought five coaches representing 3 variants

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:40:29 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:33 am »
Agreed that the REE Modèles DEVs are a good rendition, but to get my 7 rolling smoothly without unplanned uncoupling took a couple of hours lubricating the close coupling mechanism, reassembling the 3 piece clip-together bogies, and adjusting back-to-backs on a few wheelsets.

The window blind issue is slightly amusing. On one B10 from set NW-060 the blinds are lowered on the corridor side rather than the compartment side of the vehicle. Whilst the original vehicles had blinds at the corridor windows, and one was photographed when new with these blinds lowered, it was not a normal event. Anyone stading in the corridor would be wanting to look through the window, and passengers seated in the compartment had extra blinds on the outside and the corridor side. REE have unintentionally reproduced a possible but very rare appearance for this coach.

Having said all that my train of 7 plus two postal cars looks impressive rolling behind two Lima BB9400s still soldiering on after over 30 years.
Mike

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 01:44:14 am »

The window blind issue is slightly amusing. On one B10 from set NW-060 the blinds are lowered on the corridor side rather than the compartment side of the vehicle.

The problem is apparent on more than one of the variants. It is rectifiable, by swapping round the coach interior, but that puts the toilet windows on the wrong side so more work is needed. In the end I have dabbed a bit of solvent on the white toilet window paint to clean it off and will repaint the correct side toilet windows white in due course.

The general gist of what buyers of the coaches are saying is that they don't mind having to make home modifications, but it shouldn't be needed on a brand new model costing 50 quid!

European railway expert

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 07:02:34 am »
I've acquired a Arnold Cat.No. 3762 Green/Beton B9. Although the coach runs extremely well, the bogies seem a little short compared to prototype photos that I have found so far.

Are the bogies from the Fleischmann SNCF 'thingy' more accurate?

I think I need to source some roof ventilators as well, the Arnold roof has no detail at all, apart from what appear to be water tanks at each end.
Are any prototype drawings available?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:05:48 am by dickrowland »

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:26 am »
I've acquired a Arnold Cat.No. 3762 Green/Beton B9. Although the coach runs extremely well, the bogies seem a little short compared to prototype photos that I have found so far.

I think I need to source some roof ventilators as well, the Arnold roof has no detail at all, apart from what appear to be water tanks at each end.

I have a side elevation and interior plan from the official SNCF drawing. I may have an end elevation somewhere too. It shows two roof ventilators, which are on the lengthwise centreline of the compartments so not on the centreline of the roof. PM me your email and I'll scan it for you. Most A9 were declassified to B9 and A4B5 in their final years.
Mike

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:48 am »
It looks as though I can use the Fleischmann bogies and scratchbuild a pair of ventilators.
For further SNCF passenger stock on my section of the DB Moselbahn, I will see what deals I can find for REE stock.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:41 am »
I used to have an Arnold UIC Y coach and the roof always looked very bare without the two ventilators which are present on all the low roof variations. They are not present on the high roof couchettes. The Dynam/Artrain UIC Y coaches were excellent at the time of introduction and later I managed to get a job lot of them from a second hand shop near Père Lachaise cemetery. I saw them in the shop window when it was closed. In the days of snail mail it took a few exchanges of letters to agree a price, transfer the money, and get the goods. When the moulds passed to Transmondia/Artrain the mixed couchette A4c4B5c5x body mould went missing or broke so AFAIK this variation is still not in the Transmondia/Artrain range.

http://www.referencement-n.com/Artrain_voitures.htm

http://www.referencement-n.com/Dynam.htm

Mike

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 08:44:00 am »

The Arnold model is  a very old model and a poor representation of the SNCF UIC, it has bits missing from the body, notably at the bottom end of the body side.

I don't think the bogies are too bad in themselves, but believe the Arnold bogie is an attempt at a Y16 and is 'high on its haunches' like many components of that era. Fitting smaller wheels would help.

Still much better to source a 'proper' Dynam/Artrain UIC IMHO, or a Lima / Arnold DEV.

European railway expert

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »
Does anybody have Cat.Nos. or links for Dynam/Artrain UIC-Ys or Lima / Arnold DEVs?
That would make web searches easier.
Before I found this forum my knowledge of SNCF coaching stock can have been written on a small postage stamp.
My profiency in the French language is even worse than my German language skills.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here