!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster UQ 4 track conroller  (Read 405 times)

Offline liam_harding1912

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Gaugemaster UQ 4 track conroller
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:15:14 pm »
Hello, I have bought the Gaugemaster UQ 4 track controller recently and two T1 transformers and was also recommended to buy two (Gaugemaster 41) 1 amp self resetting miniature circuit breakers. However, having read the instructions of these products, I am none the wiser on how to wire all of these up.
So, if anyone has any idea on this it would be much appreciated or if anyone knows of any websites/videos that show this correctly,
Thank you!  :)

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster UQ 4 track conroller
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 09:10:55 am »

You need someone who understands electrical matters to do it for you, with appropriate qualifications to "sign it off" as safe.  There is a lot of potential to cause a fire or kill someone.  Just bodging it together from semi-random advice off the internet isn't sensible for yourself, your home or your family.  (Or your insurers who might have something to say about an electrical fire caused by home-assembled power supplies).   

In very basic terms - each T1 has two "taps", which are independent outputs.  The UQ 4 has four inputs, which come from each of the outputs on the T1's.     The thermal cutouts are to protect the system against overloads.   The whole lot needs appropriate casing (just screwing it to a plank or popping in any old box isn't adequate), with appropriate earth protection for the transformer cases.  And then fit suitable mains cables, with correct fuses for the loading, to provide power to the whole lot. 

I am surprised that Gaugemaster continue to sell transformers this way, when most other retail suppliers have moved to cased switched-mode power supplies - which are vastly cheaper, more efficient and come boxed with appropriate safety certificates.   

I don't know if the Gaugemaster UQ internals will work from a DC input rather than AC.  If they do work on DC input, its probably cheaper to junk the T1's and buy four DC power supplies of about 15v DC, 1.5A output. 

- Nigel

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:05 am »
Connect the terminals marked "Input 16v AC" to your supply transformer. One track per winding. (T1 wiring instructions :- http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/GMTFK1-2.pdf])
Connect the terminals marked "Track 12v DC" to the sections or tracks you wish to operate. Reverse wires if the locomotive
travels in the wrong direction on either track. Suitable for Cab Control and Common Return wiring. Please ensure
tracks/sections are correctly isolated from each other.
The outputs of two or more control circuits must not be connected in such a way that both wires may accidentally be
connected together, i.e. through switches or points, e.t.c.

(taken from the manual :- http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/uq.pdf)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:55:50 am by Only Me »

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 04:39:25 am »
Does your local club have a "sparks " for advice??

Mains power + ignorance = potential for disaster!

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations