!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout  (Read 2173 times)

Offline mattycoops43

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Beattie Road, 70's to 90's Attic scenic layout
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:08:32 pm »
Hi peeps

I am new here, and I am looking for some advice on the best way to design my layout. I had better give some background. I have a long modelling history, including lots of railways in N and OO. I had a huge layout in my attic which was 10m long by 3m wide, running round the edge of the attic on two levels, (an inverted figure 8), but I made a huge mistake when I started it, which was putting track down, electrifying all the points etc but not putting any kind of backboard around the outside, this meant when I came to start doing scenery, I realised there was nothing to attach it to. oops!

So, a few years later, I have a DCC oo gauge layout with highly detailed sound loco's and rolling stock, no scenery, and a 4yr old who is desperately into trains, but couldn't be trusted with 200 dcc loco's and also wanted 'little trains like Grandad's got' (grrr).

SO, total change of plan. Smaller layout, on DC control, relatively simple, lots of emphasis on scenery, and simple enough for my two boys to have some fun with (4 and 8) but interesting enough for me to enjoy.

I am quite happy designing or copying a prototypical station etc, but where i am stuck, is deciding the fundamental layout, ie, how much track and where to put it. I want it to look realistic for me, but also must be through stations etc so 4yr old can watch trains go by.

I am using half my long thin attic, so the base board is a large U around one end of the attic, the legs are 12' long, by 2' wide, and the bottom of the U is 4' deep, by 8'6" wide, but only 3' depth is realistically reachable, due to ;ow roof. I can't stand up under the 5' apex, so it is sitting down operation and access needs to be kept easy. A bridge can be added across the legs of the U to enable a large circular layout, and this is the way I am favouring at the moment.

I am thinking of having a mid size through station on one leg, with a minimal steam shed area and a diesel depot (mixed running from late steam to blue diesels), a goods shed and a couple of sidings for shunting vans etc around. A small through station on the opposite leg, purely for somewhere to stop the trains as a destination. IF I can make it work, maybe a VERY simple branch working up one leg and around the end to a branch station, mainly to give a good reason for some elevation.

I want to make it look as real as possible within the constraints, so tracks not in line with baseboards, curved platforms etc. I do NOT want a baseboard covered in track, the double track will be just double track where it is not station, leaving the rest of the 2' width for embankments and scenery.

Each end of the leg, the mainline can go into a tunnel so the sharp turn to cross the bridge is completely hidden, the bridge will be just a link no scenery at all, probably lift out.

I want prototypical landscaping, so the mainline will be on a riser, so scenery can lift and drop away from it, and I think hills climbing away to the outer edge will work, I would love a long climbing embankment over the mainline that can go up over the hills to the branchline station.

I am getting to grips with Scarm, and will happily send a file to anyone who wants to have a look. I'll try to sort a screen shot in 3d so you can get the idea.

Any input, gratefully received. Specifically plans for either of the stations that would fit in, or input on the overall ideology before I commit to putting any risers down. Currently I have stuck down a loop of track and some sidings so the boys can play, I will get some pics up as it gives an idea of the size available!

Thanks in advance

Matt
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:16:28 pm by mattycoops43 »

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
Re: New layout, design advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:35 pm »
Ok, some pics to help.

This is where I am at with Scarm

This is the space I am working in,

Some track temporarily down for my son to play with. He is great, happily shunting trains back and forth between sidings, totally understands how points isolate the tracks.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 10:11:10 pm »
This is what used to be there, ran the whole length of the attic. Yes, it is all track, but then a carriage storage yard doesn't leave a lot off room in 4mm at 2' width. The idea of that layout was always that at the narrow width, it was just a model of the railway, with no scenery. Totally different from the current plans.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »
Hi there.

Making some progress, getting better with Scarm, finding it excellent. I could use some advice on some specific things now I think I have settled on a general scheme.

Here is where I have got to so far.

I am not sure how the branch line should split from the mainline, should it be separate from the mainline station completely? It just looks wrong to me, I cpuld split it in the tunnel and have a separate exit? Taking from the other end of the station make sthe incline shorter than I want, purely for aesthetic reasons, because I want the branchline to be a feature. No required height so incline can be set by the height I go to.

I can't decide on whether the engine shed and goods sidings/shed look right. I am looking for a crossover era, so I am trying to achieve an early diesel running system, but with a goods yard as a throw back kind of thing, trying to fit best of both in without worrying about total accuracy, I will run the odd steam engine with a few vans.

Can anyone see anything that will be awkward in operating it? I can't decide whether to connect the kickback from the goods yard to the engine shed, but not sure whether that would be totally non proto typical.

So anyway, all advice welcome. I am not aiming for 100% realism, but trying to avoid horrible glaring errors, and I want it to be easy for my son to run trains round, but interesting enough for me.

Undecided about the simple double line around the bottom of the U but I am thinking a coastal scene maybe on the inside of the curve? something interesting.

A general question is it is hard to judge if I have made the stations too big or small, the layout is 12' by 8'6" so I can't decide if what I have will actually look lost in that space, or be rammed in too tight. Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks ok to me.

Thank you

Matt

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:52:42 pm »
personally would have no points near a tunnel access reasons

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:08 pm »
Instead of trying to get a decent screen grab you can export scarm images as bitmaps or  jpegs its under File-export for the 2d mode and file-snapshot for  the 3d screen
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:22:09 pm by themadhippy »

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »
Still tweaking. Here is where I am at currently, not sure about the turntable as it's going to be mainly diesel, but I like the idea of it as a leftover still in use for the odd steam locomotive.

I would really like opinions on the practicality of the track layout, are there any obvious issues with how it will run? I have added a passing loop in the main station as there are no plans for a fiddle yard at the moment, so there is space for four mainline trains on the layout currently.

I take the point about points near tunnels, but the scenery will be set from the start to give total access to track, hollow mountains on the two corners with completely open backs so track can be cleaned easily etc.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
Thank you, found it in the end!

This might be clearer.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:09 pm »
The only query I have is the headshunt for the goods yard at the lower station impedes entrance/egress to/from the loco shed. Not sure how prototypical that is :hmmm:

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
The only query I have is the headshunt for the goods yard at the lower station impedes entrance/egress to/from the loco shed. Not sure how prototypical that is :hmmm:

Thank you

Yes, I keep looking at it and have tried a few things, I am not sure I know what would be the best solution, is it to have the loco shed off a completely different point? There is a fair size gap between sidings and sheds, does it need a second feed off the the loco sheds?

Matt

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:17:21 pm »
would agree with nobby on that issue

but okay sticking permananent way vans, old trucks in there

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:44 pm »
have the loco shed off a completely different point away from platforms and avoid the twoi siding headshunt matt

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »
Ok, Engine shed and coal stage moved to the smaller station,  a few bits of road, carpark etc put in to make a bit of sense of it. What do you think?

Starting to feel quite happy with it now. I know it's good to put some track down, but it will all be on a higher level so not so easy to do. Trying to get quite close before I put the polystyrene base down, I'll make sure it's big enough to give me a safety margin, but want to get it into the ball park.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
Not sure whether I NEED to put a separate headshunt on the goods sidings, or if I can use the outer loop round the platform. Is that completely un-prototypical?

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 08:14:28 pm »
You would normally expect sidings to have a head shunt, not only for shunting, but also to protect the main line in the event of an unexpected movement.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything