!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 7036 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2017, 09:48:32 pm »
HAHAHAHA I have found my camera, so now be afraid be very afraid.

I have nearly finally finished the work on the last 2 additions to my 4F fleet, one being a rather tortured older Farish model and the other being a new release model from the Landship pack.

First up the older model with a tender cab

As ever the camera is a cruel tool, as it shows up the many areas that need to be improved on the loco, but a coating of weathering hides most things. As a young lad I can remember when these models were first released and how they were on my wish list.

Followed by the latest Farish model.

Still looking perhaps a little clean for me, but I think her new identity suits her, I still need to put some real coal in her tender but that can wait for another time. Yes I know many of you will say I have ruined a good model, but I cant have a spotlessly clean Midland locomotive on my layout can I???

I must admit with each new release from Farish I am amazed at how far N gauge has come, the stuff we get out of the box these days, was only available a few short years ago if you commissioned a skilled model maker. Still they could always be a little cheaper :)

I think these will be the last two additions to the 4F fleet as I have to start to look at 2F and 3F locomotives joining fleet, nothing to do with the Domestic Overlord honestly.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:04:01 pm by paulprice »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:14 am »
I don't think you've ruined them at all Paul. They have a lot of character now but the 'fake Farish coal' really stands out in the one with the Deeley tender compared with the Fowler tender.

I do have a new 4F which was separated from the land ship pack. Originally I was going to use the chassis for something else but, having learnt a little more about the North London Line workings over the London end of the ECML, I think it'll have a slight reprieve and end up in LMS livery (as per a 3F I've got) - there, I'm now saving LMS locos!!!  :P

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:28 am »
I like they way your locos all look like working examples, not excessively weathered, but some working grime - it's just right.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
I don't think you've ruined them at all Paul. They have a lot of character now but the 'fake Farish coal' really stands out in the one with the Deeley tender compared with the Fowler tender.

I do have a new 4F which was separated from the land ship pack. Originally I was going to use the chassis for something else but, having learnt a little more about the North London Line workings over the London end of the ECML, I think it'll have a slight reprieve and end up in LMS livery (as per a 3F I've got) - there, I'm now saving LMS locos!!!  :P
Your right about the coal, I need to grind some up and start to fill a few of the tenders in the fleet.

As for you saving LMS loco's I want to see photo graphic proof

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2017, 05:41:24 pm »
I like they way your locos all look like working examples, not excessively weathered, but some working grime - it's just right.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan,

I think my weathering technique can stand some improvement but I try to replicate the look of a working machine, one day I may even progress to an airbrush.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2017, 06:12:03 pm »

Two Slow and Dirty 3Fs waiting to be repainted into LMS black.

One Midland 4F also awaiting re-liverying - a bit of a push for a North London Line through working but I think I can get away with it...

One Black Five, no need to re-livery but completely inappropriate for the kind of workings I can justify. I kind of like it though so it's got a reprieve...  :P :P

I've also got plans to build an LMS loco in the not too distant future!   >:D

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:17 pm »

Two Slow and Dirty 3Fs waiting to be repainted into LMS black.

One Midland 4F also awaiting re-liverying - a bit of a push for a North London Line through working but I think I can get away with it...

One Black Five, no need to re-livery but completely inappropriate for the kind of workings I can justify. I kind of like it though so it's got a reprieve...  :P :P

I've also got plans to build an LMS loco in the not too distant future!   >:D

Steve  I might let you off, I thought justifying a Black 5 would be easy???

What LMS loco are you building - TELL ME

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:48 am »
I thought justifying a Black 5 would be easy???

:laughabovepost: Not when if I was keeping things strictly in a historic context, the most I should run is a Jinty (or the very occasional Fowler 3P) and either a rake of old NLR four wheelers or some period one LMS suburban bogie coaches! But then again, I'm not modelling a prototype (yet!) so I think I can stretch things a little but I'm not sure about the 'Five'.

The Jinty with an old rake of NLR coaches will look awesome getting thrashed out of site by an A4 with a Silver Jubilee rake! >:D That'll be copying an actual picture of what was apparently a daily occurrence and allegedly made the Jinty suburban service quite popular with passengers.

It's a secret until it happens...  :P

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:38 am »
I thought justifying a Black 5 would be easy???

:laughabovepost: Not when if I was keeping things strictly in a historic context, the most I should run is a Jinty (or the very occasional Fowler 3P) and either a rake of old NLR four wheelers or some period one LMS suburban bogie coaches! But then again, I'm not modelling a prototype (yet!) so I think I can stretch things a little but I'm not sure about the 'Five'.

The Jinty with an old rake of NLR coaches will look awesome getting thrashed out of site by an A4 with a Silver Jubilee rake! >:D That'll be copying an actual picture of what was apparently a daily occurrence and allegedly made the Jinty suburban service quite popular with passengers.

It's a secret until it happens...  :P

A4's ARE PANTS........

TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2017, 01:50:38 pm »
A4's ARE PANTS........

I think that Black Five's future is starting to look a little dicey...  >:D >:D

TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

T'is a secret, but I'm losing the desire to ever model it now for some reason...  :smiley-laughing:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
A4's ARE PANTS........

I think that Black Five's future is starting to look a little dicey...  >:D >:D

TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME

T'is a secret, but I'm losing the desire to ever model it now for some reason...  :smiley-laughing:

why is everyone so mean to me  :'( :angel:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2017, 11:36:13 am »
I've been done for, two bargain purchases from a certain Liverpool "box shifter" has been my downfall.

Its official like a fool I was lured in to buy two pre-owned tank wagons for a bargain price of 6 each, I remember when they were this price new. So happy was I with this buy that I did not realise how many I already have hidden away.

The problem is I will now have to weather the lot........and I mean lot.......... the Domestic Overlord will kill me if I'm found out  :doh:

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:34 pm »
I need to get a supply of modelling time, any idea who sells it?

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2017, 01:54:18 pm »
Bottled modelling time is rarer than a Poole Farish railfreight 47 - and like the latter, the former you'll have to make yourself.....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2017, 09:08:48 am »
I spent 30 minutes last night doing some modelling, I would say serious modelling but with the standard of my work that would be stretching it a bit. Still the self weighting tender takes a tiny step forwards.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything