!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato track not isolating?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline clayton4115

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato track not isolating?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »
yes i am using a kato powerpack i have ordered this switch, looks like I will also need feeder cables that connect to the track (via the fishplates i assume).

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:05 pm »
I'm not sure about feeder cables for Unitrack - do they make a feeder which attaches to a Unijoiner? 

I only have a simple oval of Unitrack and a couple of points, so I've only ever used the short length of track with plug-in underneath as a main connection.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline clayton4115

• Awards

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 12:49:29 am »
As well as buying the kato power joiners you can make your own very simply fired hobby on YouTube has the best instructions. Plenty of other tips on  his channel.
It is better to use power joiners as the small plug under the track could easily become dislodged if the wire is pulled and if the track is stuck down it will have to be lifted to reconnect, the soldered joiners are more robust

Offline clayton4115

• Awards

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:29 am »
could I use this

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?id=7121&manufacturer=%27KATO%20N%20Gauge%27

or perhaps this

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/?iid=301996357924&&&chn=ps

i do not have good skills in soldering

that is the standard kato power feed. Works very well but it is easy to pull out if the wiring is disturbed, there are ready made unijoiner track feeds at approximately the same price. As I have already said if you have fixed the track down it is a problem.
A popular way to fix the track down is copydex glue it has the advantage of being able to lift the track without damaging it using a craft knife.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:44 am »
As well as buying the kato power joiners you can make your own very simply fired hobby on YouTube has the best instructions. Plenty of other tips on  his channel.
It is better to use power joiners as the small plug under the track could easily become dislodged if the wire is pulled and if the track is stuck down it will have to be lifted to reconnect, the soldered joiners are more robust

A quick trip to Kato hints &!tips will help.
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25575.0

You don't even have to solder - there is a way to do solderless cable / uni joiner connections

http://sites.google.com/site/josephbales/unitrackfeedertutorial

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:15 am »
thanks for the tips, no nothing is glued down yet, still waiting for more track to arrive.

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:26 am »
ok another question, again with isolation, now i got a light loco parked at A that wants to travel to C, however there is a train come from the top and stopped at B, again when i switch the points for loco to travel from A to C, the train at C starts moving

what track do i need to isolate with one black plastic joiner?

http://imgur.com/a/Iduqs

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 11:07:21 am »
I'm confused - you say the other train has stopped at B, that's on the siding so you just change the point against it and it shouldn't move if the point is power-routing.    Then you say a train at C is moving - that's on the main line?

Do you really mean the stopped train is on the main line at C and you want to take a light loco from A into the siding at B?  If that's the case then power to the train at C is probably coming from the top of the diagram so you need an isolating joiner somewhere on the curve at the left.  I'd probably just isolate a single curve piece at C with a joiner behind the loco on the inside rail.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:00 am »
sorry yes it should be C

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:29 am »
ok thanks Nick i will go put a insu joiner on the curve at C and report back.

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:41 am »
thank you, spot on ! it works, as my layout is not complete yet, i may ask you some more of these questions, thanks !!!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:22 pm »
... i may ask you some more of these questions, thanks !!!

No problem!   

I'm not a Unitrack expert, but I have been playing with trains for decades so have probably encountered many of the scenarios you're now hitting!

I just happen to be off on holiday this week, and mostly flopped in front of the TV with laptop on.   Plenty of other folk on here who can help, I'm sure they'll chime in with advice as-and-when.

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 10:22:49 am »
ok now because C has one plastic joiner and because the loop line on 1 has another joiner before the siding 2, now when I try to get a train to go into that siding at 2, from the left of picture,  the train stops after passing the plastic joiner at C, i have run a long wire before the plastic joiner from C to 2 to test to see if the issue is indeed the plastic joiner at C and the train has current and runs, is there any other way of getting the train to 2 siding from C without losing current ( it is losing current due to the plastic joiner on the north rail at C ).

http://i.imgur.com/c77AUeO.jpg

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here