!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato track not isolating?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato track not isolating?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 10:52:42 am »
Ah of course - when you're set to the siding on the left, then the left hand point is allowing power to the North rail of that loop line and the south rail is powered from the right hand end.  Yes, you need insulation joiner(s) somewhere on the North rail of the loop line.   
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 10:55:51 am »
ok thanks to you all for your help, something i will have to add to my list of things to do, plenty more still to do, waiting for more track to come from Japan.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:13 am »
Putting an insulated joiner on the north rail just after the siding point will cure the problem, but will require that the right hand point is set to the loop line when you want to drive in from the left hand end.   
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:33 am »
looks like i will need to get a few of these, can anyone please explain how to wire these things

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/kato-24-850-onoff-switch-for-track-power-32043-p.asp

thanks

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:58 am »
ok if i assume north is up looking at the track diagram do you mean the west rail ?

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:26 am »
Looking at your track plan I think You are getting one side of the loop ,ie the inside line fed from behind the loco , and the other side ie the out side line fed from in front of the loco ,I dont think you have a choice but use at least one insulating joiner.Switching the point behind the loco is only cutting of one side of the power .
I might be wrong but thats how it looks to me. Sorry I dont know how to put a diagram on here to show you what I mean.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:23:59 am by Bob Tidbury »

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:35 am »
looks like i will need to get a few of these, can anyone please explain how to wire these things

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/kato-24-850-onoff-switch-for-track-power-32043-p.asp

thanks

Nope, just a pack of insulating joiners http://www.traintrax.co.uk/24816-unijoiner-insulated-p-324.html - you'll be needing them more often the bigger your track plan gets!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:51 am »
Here's a way to do it, if you're happy with needing to have the right hand point set to the loop whenever you want to drive into the loop from the left.    You could, alternatively, put the isolating joiner on the North rail at the right hand end of the loop if you're more likely to drive in from the left than the right?

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:45 am »
thanks Nick for the diagram, yes it makes it alot clear and to get into that siding the train will have to come from the left so i will put the joiner there, Steve don't i need a switch to make that loop line live  / dead when needed  when i put a isolating joiner there?

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:38 am »
p.s i already have those black plastic unijoiners but no switch yet.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:17 am »
thanks Nick for the diagram, yes it makes it alot clear and to get into that siding the train will have to come from the left so i will put the joiner there, Steve don't i need a switch to make that loop line live  / dead when needed  when i put a isolating joiner there?

Yup. No switch required :thumbsup:

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:26 am »
ok will go give it a try

on another note say i want to pull in a large freight train loco first into siding marked 3 on that track plan engine first, then i want another light loco to come from say track where it says 10 on the layout to couple to the end of the freight train at siding marked 3 will i need to isolate siding three at the very end of the track to isolate the first engine so the second loco can use that track and not get both of them to move at the same time? will i need a switch as well to isolate the first loco, this way the second loco can attach to the freight train and depart siding marked 3  ?

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:05 am »
thanks Steve and Nick putting an isolating unijoiner on that track did the trick works fine now !

calling it a day here downunder, will talk to all you lot tomorrow !

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
Yes you need to isolate one rail at the end of track 3, and use a switch to turn the length of track one or off.  Doesn't matter which rail but best to be consistent, it makes it easer to wire up the switches at your control point.

That's one advantage of DCC, you wouldn't need switched isolating sections for that sort of move. 

I run DC on my N gauge line, I've got way too many locos to consider going over to DCC (and anyway I enjoy wiring!   :smiley-laughing: )  I do have DCC for my HOe and G scale stuff though.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 05:00:02 pm »

thanks

they plug into the KAto PSU power bus/ AC adapter, and the on/off then controls power to the track.

one output is fixed ( 12v), the other variable with the PSU control

it may be cheaper to use a kato insulator on one rail, and solder a switch & wires across the gap (to the rails on each side)  so that you can switch the power from the control centre.

picture provided by TrainTrax
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:52:13 am by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations