!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: complete loco and chassis kits  (Read 883 times)

Offline violets49

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9715
    • Awards
Re: complete loco and chassis kits
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
There used to be a 'cottage industry' company that supplied rolling stock wheel sets to N gauge standards that fitted 2mm Scale society etched waggon chassis.
I believe the 2mm Society do (or did) offer N gauge wheel sets to fit their kits...

I don't think so. They used to supply wheels to convert N gauge rolling stock to 2mmf standards. and I believe they provide replacement wheelsets for RTR Locomotives. They also used to have a wheel turning service that would convert the wheelsets of modern diesels to 2MMf. I've never heard of them supplying materials to convert 2MMf to 'N'  I think that would go against their 'Mission statement'

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 11:27:33 am »
There used to be a 'cottage industry' company that supplied rolling stock wheel sets to N gauge standards that fitted 2mm Scale society etched waggon chassis.
I believe the 2mm Society do (or did) offer N gauge wheel sets to fit their kits...

I don't think so. They used to supply wheels to convert N gauge rolling stock to 2mmf standards. and I believe they provide replacement wheelsets for RTR Locomotives. They also used to have a wheel turning service that would convert the wheelsets of modern diesels to 2MMf. I've never heard of them supplying materials to convert 2MM to 'N'  I think that would go against their 'Mission statement'

We are going back some time and my memory is a bit fuzzy on this however in the 80's there was an article you could get I think from either the 2mm or the N soc explaining how to use the 2mm soc. wheels to "finescale" N.  In those days it was to replace the Farish Pizza cutters, Trix, Minitrix and Arnold chassis.  I think it was after the advent of Electrofrog - they don't work with plastic frogs - and possibly code 55 but that is where my memory is vague.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:29 am »
2mm kits can be built to N standard gauge and their finescale wheels run on well laid track without trouble.

The important thing is to get the back to back gauge correct.
Now that's interesting. Presumably you mean using the N gauge back to back?
I know you've built loads of locos but have you built 2mm FS to run on N gauge track successfully (including point work). I'm using code 55 with the odd bit of code 80 for tight curves (R2).
 :beers:

Bob

My first Hush Hush I built was a non motorised body using the 2mm soc wheels.  I was 18 and it was a push along with a LifeLike motor in the tender.  I never did get the valve gear sorted out. Went to Uni. and forgot about it :D

done a few others since but none were motorised so I cannot speak for the 2mm chassis and gearing system which I am told is very good (if you are a watchmaker).

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:37 am »

I don't think so. They used to supply wheels to convert N gauge rolling stock to 2mmf standards. and I believe they provide replacement wheelsets for RTR Locomotives. They also used to have a wheel turning service that would convert the wheelsets of modern diesels to 2MMf. I've never heard of them supplying materials to convert 2MMf to 'N'  I think that would go against their 'Mission statement'

Hi

See products 2-027 in shop 2 and 2-028 in shop 3 for the wheels on axles and 2-047 in both shops for the axles to convert Farish wheels.

Cheers

Paul

Offline violets49

• N Gauge Society Number: 9715
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »
There seems to be some confusion here. I am pretty certain that 2MMf wheels will not work with N scale pointwork. N scale wheels WILL run on plain track to 2MMf standard due to the overscale treads but they won't go through finescale points. Similarly, 2MMf wheels, no matter the back to back, will drop into the gap in N scale points. When I was still a 2MM association member, there was an article about making a 'universal' point that would pass both standards but it didn't have a conventional crossing (Frog).

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:53 pm »
There seems to be some confusion here. I am pretty certain that 2MMf wheels will not work with N scale pointwork. N scale wheels WILL run on plain track to 2MMf standard due to the overscale treads but they won't go through finescale points. Similarly, 2MMf wheels, no matter the back to back, will drop into the gap in N scale points. When I was still a 2MM association member, there was an article about making a 'universal' point that would pass both standards but it didn't have a conventional crossing (Frog).

I think there may be a difference between 2mm and 2mmf which is a far more recent development (from the 1980's).

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 01:20:38 pm »

Then you think wrongly...  ::)

The post before yours confirms they do, albeit currently out of stock...

Offline xm607

• N Gauge Society Number: 5813
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 12:49:04 am »
If you are looking for early diesels, try Parkwood models they have resin bodies for some, they are on fleebay.
Steve.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm