!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Olympian Hiawatha released  (Read 928 times)

Offline Hiawatha

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Kato Olympian Hiawatha released
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 11:18:07 am »
The thread title was a bit premature as the set hasn't been released yet - delivery is scheduled for mid-2017. Looking for the price wasn't as easy as usual as Kato has implemented "MAP policy": retailers aren't allowed to show their sale price directly on their website - one has to put the item in the shopping cart to see the price (and of course can remove that item from the cart afterwards). ::)

MAP stands for "Minimum Advertised Pricing".

Why "MAP"?

To quote Kato, USA: "... we have determined that we shall not support advertising ... or promotional materials that have the effect of diminishing or detracting from the perceived value of Kato products. We have implemented this MAP policy to preserve our reputation for providing customers with high quality and valued products. The MAP policy has been established by Kato USA to help ensure the reputaton of Kato USA as a producer of precision railroad models ... while also helping to promote and maintain a healthier and more profitable retail environment."

Why do we adhere to MAP Pricing policy?
Kato states, "Intentional or repeated failure to abide by this policy will result in termination of dealership ... and the retailer will be prohibited access to purchasing future merchandise through Kato USA ..." Enough explanation?

So how much will an item cost?
Since we are not permitted to openly display pricing of new or recently introducted Kato product on our web page, we ask that you "enter our store" by clicking on the appropriate "Add" or "Reserve" button. This will add the item in question to your shopping cart.

So, what do you think about this? I think it's just plain stupid. The MSRP for the 9-car set is $280. Of course I will still be looking for a lower price, it's just an inconvenience but doesn't change anything. Does Kato really think that everyone will now be buying for full price? I have just checked two retailers, and both will be selling the set for slightly less than $190, and with the A-B-A locomotive set we are talking about less than $400 instead of the $580 MSRP. Of course, once the first sets are listed on ebay then we will see the BIN price instantly. ::) -- So, instead of "helping to promote and maintain a healthier and more profitable retail environment" they are only making buying directly from a retailer website more inconvenient than from an ebay store with the related fees. :doh:

Shame they didn't bring out a "Little Joe" electric to go with it........... :D

One of my bad habits - looking for completed items on ebay. A "Little Joe" was just auctioned for $1,476. :o

Photo from http://www.ebay.com/itm/262896572783

Of course it's a brass model from Overland. As Kato already have made the GG-1, a Little Joe could reuse the same mechanism with another axle inserted in the chassis (2-D+D-2 instead of 2-C+C-2), so maybe they have something planned for the future.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 11:22:05 am »
An amazing looking locomotive, if a little pricey....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 12:13:40 pm »
I agree Hiawatha, that MAP system seems just plain nuts. Customers don't want to have to jump through hoops to see a price, and many will see the hoop-setting as a retailer initiated inconvenience, despite small print disclaimers/explanations.
And as has been clearly illustrated, real world prices are less than the MSRP, so it's all a bit pointless. And if all US retailers decided en masse to flaunt the policy, would Kato stop supplying all of them? :hmmm:
Hopefully we will not see that policy here in the UK or from the European sellers I use, but I don't know enough about the relevant applicable laws or whatever to be sure.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Bingley Hall

• N Gauge Society Number: 21700
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
I agree Hiawatha, that MAP system seems just plain nuts. Customers don't want to have to jump through hoops to see a price, and many will see the hoop-setting as a retailer initiated inconvenience, despite small print disclaimers/explanations.
And as has been clearly illustrated, real world prices are less than the MSRP, so it's all a bit pointless. And if all US retailers decided en masse to flaunt the policy, would Kato stop supplying all of them? :hmmm:
Hopefully we will not see that policy here in the UK or from the European sellers I use, but I don't know enough about the relevant applicable laws or whatever to be sure.
Kato's MAP policy has already been in place for several years now.

The sky hasn't fallen in yet

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »
I don't believe I suggested it would. :no:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Bingley Hall

• N Gauge Society Number: 21700
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 06:53:18 pm »
I don't believe I suggested it would. :no:

Metaphorical innit?

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 06:17:27 pm »
Kato has added sample photos of the observation and Super Dome. :bounce:

(From http://katousa.com/N/Hiawatha/index.html)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 06:20:01 pm »
Well that's an improvement on the real thing  :D

Still think it looks like a bug.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 02:18:40 am »
Can't wait for the ones in Canadian National colours.  :D

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:30 am »
Thats just what I was thinking... especially since I missed out on Rapido's  wet noodle cars

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:34 am »
I wouldn't hold my breath! :no: Next will be Milwaukee Road in UP Armour Yellow, and CN will come later.

... in the year 2525 2025 ...  :P

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »
So if I am sat in the bottom floor of the Superdome car would that make me Lowerwatha????

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:21 pm »
So if I am sat in the bottom floor of the Superdome car would that make me Lowerwatha????

Would that not make you the chief, sorry chef

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 02:02:48 am »
I wouldn't hold my breath! :no: Next will be Milwaukee Road in UP Armour Yellow, and CN will come later.

... in the year 2525 2025 ...  :P

Not quite the 10+ years CN had to wait for them to become surplus, so I guess I should be thankful.  ;D

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything