who will take on the class 50 now?

Started by bluedepot, March 19, 2017, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

The biggest issue with the Farish 50 is the shape of the nose, with an insufficient step under the cab windows (i have seen this remedied with plasticard and a complete nose rebuild).

Perhaps one of our 3D maestros could CAD up a replacement clip-in cab unit for the existing shell - this would go some way to improving things.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

darve

I've got 6 Farish 50's (LLB, GWR Green, 1 NSE early, 2 NSE late, RF grey) and i'd replace them all (and pick up a couple more) in a heartbeat.

Oddly, i was looking at them last week thinking it was time they went to ebay. Had the Dapol announcement been a month or later i would have been QUITE PRETURBED.

Chris Morris

The new Farish locos are very nice but the older ones just aren't good models. I would like a 61xx and a hoover but when I see one I can't bring myself to buy because neither really look the part.
I would buy a decent looking hoover if one was to become available. Question is, how much would I be willing to pay?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

NeMo

Quote from: captainelectra on March 20, 2017, 01:31:43 PM
Perhaps one of our 3D maestros could CAD up a replacement clip-in cab unit for the existing shell - this would go some way to improving things.

Genius. The cabs do indeed clip right out. The Farish glazing would need replacing of course, but nothing you can't do with some glue-n-glaze.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Shiney Sheff

I would buy a decent looking hoover if one was to become available. Question is, how much would I be willing to pay?
[/quote]

I can recommend a Dyson ....... :laugh:

Adam1701D

I think it was Richard Dockerill who rebuilt some Farish 50s for Acton Main Line with extended noses, along with various etched details - they looked superb.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

TomE

Quote from: Chris Morris on March 20, 2017, 07:18:00 PM

Here's the test then! You probably won't ever get a better class 50 than this, but are you willing to pay £545 for it?

http://www.cjmmodels.co.uk/products/cjm-class-50/

Tom.

Pete @ EGLM

I've got the urge to order another one before CJM retires.  You won't get a better 50 ever!

Pete @ EGLM

njee20

The 50 is one of Chris's best IMO, stunning!

Skyline2uk

I am lucky enough to have a 92 from Chris, which was delivered approx. 18 months before Revolution announced theirs (I have also ordered two of those). I love it, and the quality is astonishing for a hand-made item.

It occurs to me that, with the Farish 50 being out of production and the Dapol announcement, you can now only get a new 50 or 59 from CJM.

Price wise Chris's work is never going to be considered true "RTR", so it's a real shame a mainstream manufacture isn't now slated to produce examples any time soon.

Anyway, fingers cross these large gaps (especially in the case of the 50) are filled asap, although I have no idea how!

Skyline2uk

bluedepot

for a really good accurate class 50 model with lights and space for sound and dcc fitted I would pay about 160 quid. that seems to be what new european diesel n scale models sell for.

it's a long term investment for someone to get the class 50 tooled up as it will keep selling for ages, decades maybe, and quite a few different liveries can be made. with 50 year anniversary quite a few collectors or general enthusiasts might buy one as well just for display.

Tim

njee20

Seems reasonable to me. There seems to be resistance to prices going to that sort of level here, Dapol should possibly be commended for keeping them very reasonable, or perhaps not as it means things don't get made!

Nik96

Quote from: njee20 on March 22, 2017, 12:20:03 PM
Seems reasonable to me. There seems to be resistance to prices going to that sort of level here, Dapol should possibly be commended for keeping them very reasonable, or perhaps not as it means things don't get made!

Dapol have always appeared/self-claimed to squeeze themselves before us modelers. I certainly feel they have done so...
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

njee20

It's very noble, but not overly good commercial sense!

Karhedron

Dapol have a slight history of run size issues. This has often led to them flooding the market and then making it worse by flogging off the excess cheaply. As a small manufacturer, this must affect their bottom line and they don't have the size to smooth out such bumps.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations