Are they reliable runners

Started by 1936ace, March 13, 2017, 06:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: 1936ace on March 13, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
The more i read the replies the more im thinking maybe not a good idea geting one. having played with a OO dapol version the other day(had on board smoke geny, black label?) i really would love to have one.
maybe if i get one from say hattons and ask them to test run it(would they do that) before mailing out
Either that, or better still, go to your local model shop (if you're lucky enough to have one). You can ask them to see it running. Most good model shops have a small test track to allow you to do this. I know you may pay a bit more than you would pay from the likes of Hattons or Rails of Sheffield but at least you know you've got one that runs straight out of the box.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

@austinbob
As Bart lives in New South Wales the chances of him having a model shop stocking British outline could probably be counted on the fingers of, erm, one finger :hmmm:
Every now and then I request Rails of Sheffield to test something before sending it to me and they scribe a small 'T' on the label to inform me it has been done.
To my mind any UK retailer sending locos abroad should test them first and even go so far as to supply a test certificate rather than have to faff about getting them back if they are not up to scratch.
@1936ace
Bart - I'd be quite happy to test a loco for you and then send it out to you if that helps, but I only have DC.

PLD

Quote from: 1936ace on March 13, 2017, 06:16:05 AM
Would love an A4 but scared off by Dapol unreliability and that drive shaft thingy between tender and loco.
In my experience 95+% of problems with Dapol locos are user inflicted and not inherent design flaws.

Yes they are more delicate and need more careful handling than the 1980s Farish models, but that is the trade-off for a more accurate, more finely detailed model... As others have noted, the drive shafts only drop out if you allow the tender and loco to fall out of line when you pick it up.

Quote from: 1936ace on March 13, 2017, 06:16:05 AM
Are they good runners and I need not worry about it
If properly cared for, they are very good runners. The only thing you need to worry about is how you look after it.

Webbo

Quote from: PLD on March 14, 2017, 07:51:39 AM
In my experience 95+% of problems with Dapol locos are user inflicted and not inherent design flaws.

I would like to know what experience you have in the way others treat their locomotives that allows you to assert that 95+% of Dapol problems are down to user mistreatment. That is a mighty bold assertion that can't be upheld without a great deal of statistics that I don't think anyone has including Dapol. Happy to have a discussion with you about this offline through PMs if you like.

Probably like you I'm tired of people slagging Farish and Dapol justifiably or not and don't want this thread to head in this direction as it has already been done over.

Webbo

emjaybee

In a nutshell.

I have: Black 5, 3 x Jubilees, Ivatt, Fairburn, B1.

6 Farish, 1 Dapol. All either brand new, or unused second-hand. All run great, no problems whatsoever.

People only comment on the bad experiences. If everyone who had a new loco that ran faultlessly came on here and told us, the server would probably crash.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

All I can say in reply is , that most of my 1990s Farish models need attention, as do my well-loved Minitrix Mallard, and 9Fs.

Yes, we are a forum for problems, and hopefully members can fix them.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: emjaybee on March 14, 2017, 08:55:16 AM
In a nutshell.

I have: Black 5, 3 x Jubilees, Ivatt, Fairburn, B1.

6 Farish, 1 Dapol. All either brand new, or unused second-hand. All run great, no problems whatsoever.

People only comment on the bad experiences. If everyone who had a new loco that ran faultlessly came on here and told us, the server would probably crash.
You're right of course. Unfortunately there are so many bad experiences that many of us have had one or more locos not work properly out of the box.
It may be that members of the forum are more critical than others and expect a higher standard, but I can't help thinking from time to time how the first time N gauger feels when their new purchase doesn't work. That may put people off for good.
I have around 70 locos and about 20 percent were faulty to some degree when purchased and a few have developed faults since purchase. That's why I only buy new locos from local model shop after seeing them run and I only buy second hand items from people I trust.
Don't get me wrong when's locos work as they should that's great but my experience, and that of many others, is too many have faults.
Also people post their loco faults to see if others have experienced the same- more often than not, they have.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

You've pretty well summed up my own feelings, mate.

I think that because we are forum members and possibly a little more knowledgeable that a newcomer, we may be a little harsh on the people who actually make this product that we are so endeared to.

Hard call.

When I look back on it, my 1963 Triang Britannia with smoke had to be returned to Josephs in Sunderland!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

My main point of view is this. We choose to model in miniature. We are no longer that happy with the detail on older models, we want to see rivets, separate handrails etc, whilst not being able to see motor cans, pickups etc. To do this with the level of reliability of, say 00 gauge locos, the degree of engineering required is going to be, not twice as much, more like eight times as much as we have now. Which will inevitably have a big impact on the price, it would probably treble if not quadruple the final price. This would then almost overnight reduce the market for the product, probably by 75%, to leave the dedicated "few" in relative terms being able or willing to afford them, thus driving prices up or range down...

...possibly destroying the viability of the scale.

M

Brookline build thread:

Webbo

I have the feeling that this thread is getting derailed. Folks, let's stick to discussion concerning the running characteristics of the Dapol A4.

Webbo

emjaybee

With respect I don't think that it's getting derailed at all. All these points are pertinent to an A4 as much as any loco. They're all coming out of the same factories with the same "designers" with the same quality and tolerance standards, built down to a similar price.
Brookline build thread:

mojo

I too have been very wary up to now of buying a Dapol steamer due to the problems members of this forum have described. However I am very tempted to purchase one of the new valanced A4's.
Could members who have them describe their findings on running, and also what minimum radius track they will comfortably run on please.
Maurice C.

1936ace

glad im not the only one maurice.

Gyppy101

As mentioned in my earlier post, my Dapol A4's are very good runners.  They will negotiate 11 inch radius track, which is the minimum on my return loops.  Assuming the track is well laid there should be no problems with the leading bogie.

silly moo

I'm going to agree with PLD about a lot of problems being caused by bad handling of locos (and badly laid track) maybe not 95% but quite a lot, the rest will be manufacturing faults. I'm the member of a club and some of the guys are quite rough with their locos, some of them are rather clumsy and can't see that well either.  :(  I'm surprised some the locos survive but in our club they are mainly Kato diesels.

These observations won't help the OP much but he will know to handle his loco with care. I think Farish locos are a bit stronger than Dapol ones.

I was very wary about getting a Dapol 9F but managed to find one at half price that had been repaired, it runs very well so I'm very pleased.

We all take a bit of a chance when buying a new loco of either make, what does make it difficult as far as returns go, is living thousands of miles away from the U.K.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations