!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Parish End  (Read 3123 times)

Offline PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Parish End
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 06:06:55 pm »
I do have the Ratio Locomotive Servicing Depot (206), Single Engine Shed (203) and a Peco Inspection Pit to "find" places for.

Was it usual practice to have those three "bits" in close proximity to one another? I'm thinking along the line of Engine Shed on one small siding and the Inspection Pit and Servicing Depot on another straight small siding next to the Engine Shed. Am I correct in this thinking?
That Engine Shed is very much GWR in style as is the "Loco servicing depot"...

Often small single loco sheds like that one would have an inspection pit inside the shed, or alternatively on the same line immediately outside. A separate dedicated road for it is an expensive and unnecessary extravagance.

I also have the Ratio Coal Depot (229) to place. Where would that go normally?
That is typical of facilities for a small independent Coal Merchant. it would probably be on it's own siding, in some larger yards you may get two or three merchants each with their own facilities on the same siding.

Offline hillside

• N Gauge Society Number: 26616
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:03 pm »
Eleven Cobalt Digital IP point motors fitted today. Just need to sort out / tidy the wiring generally and then it'll be time for a test run.

Apologies for the upside down image.  No matter what orientation I have my iPhone to take a picture, all the pictures I post on here are upside down.  It doesn't happen on other forums I'm a member of.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 05:01:41 pm »
Looks great! How did you find it? Simple to do? Did you back hurt after being under there for so long?  ;D

Apologies for the upside down image.  No matter what orientation I have my iPhone to take a picture, all the pictures I post on here are upside down.  It doesn't happen on other forums I'm a member of.

I tend to save mine to a hosting site,post img or imgshack or imgur, all of which you can rotate the image after youve uploaded it. :)

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 09:37:44 am »
Looks great! How did you find it? Simple to do? Did you back hurt after being under there for so long?  ;D

I tend to save mine to a hosting site,post img or imgshack or imgur, all of which you can rotate the image after youve uploaded it. :)

It was easy.  Just stand the layout on edge and work on it from there.  The joy of building such a small layout.
I dont really want to go down the image hosting site as, for me at least, its another site to remember to up load to, another set of passwords and more hassle.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:36 am »

It was easy.  Just stand the layout on edge and work on it from there.  The joy of building such a small layout.
I dont really want to go down the image hosting site as, for me at least, its another site to remember to up load to, another set of passwords and more hassle.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Good point! Just to mention neither postimg or imgsafe require usernames or passwords. Just to clarify :)
Look forward to seeing more on your layout soon! :laugh:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:45 am »
If you've got a basic picture display package, such as Microsoft Office Picture Manager or similar, you can edit the pictures, including rotating them.  There are lots of Freebies on the web if you don't have one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:41 am »
If you've got a basic picture display package, such as Microsoft Office Picture Manager or similar, you can edit the pictures, including rotating them.  There are lots of Freebies on the web if you don't have one.

Tried that.  I use a Mac and have used Preview, Acorn and Affinity Designer.  All photos rotate in those packages correctly.  Photos uploaded to Facebook are in the correct orientation, it's just who they come to get uploaded on to here that things go awry.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:49 pm »
Tried that.  I use a Mac and have used Preview, Acorn and Affinity Designer.  All photos rotate in those packages correctly.  Photos uploaded to Facebook are in the correct orientation, it's just who they come to get uploaded on to here that things go awry.
You can edit the picture you uploaded in "My Gallery".  Under the thumbnail, click on "Edit" and then enter 180 in the box next to "Rotate Image By Degrees".  Press return and then go to the bottom of the page and click "Edit Picture".  You will be returned to the gallery . It may take a little while for the change to take place, but when you click on the image, you should see it inverted (i.e. the right way up).  If necessary, reload the page.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 04:43:06 pm »
I've not managed to upload any images to "My Gallery". I've tried on different machines (all Macs), either nothing happens at al, i.e. No images uploaded or the page freezes.  I'll put up with the upside down images for now.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 01:31:12 pm »
After a three week break where work got in the way of pleasure, I have temporarily wired up the track, however there is a problem with the Cobalt Digital IPs'.

When I turn the power on my Ecos ESU, about 5 of the points go through what can only be described as a cycling process.  They just start changing direction pretty randomly.  For example, if one of the points on a left handed points is set for straight through, when you apply power, the blades move to the left, then to the right (straight through) and then to the left again.  I have checked the wiring and all seems to be OK.  This happens, as I say to about 5 of the 10 points I have got connected. 

Any ideas please?

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 02:10:03 pm »
I occasionally get random point changes, which I think is associated with noise on the DCC bus generated by a running loco, possible because of dirty track, wheels or pickups.  However, it is only once in a while, but it does seem to be associated with particular locos.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 04:48:44 pm »
I occasionally get random point changes, which I think is associated with noise on the DCC bus generated by a running loco, possible because of dirty track, wheels or pickups.  However, it is only once in a while, but it does seem to be associated with particular locos.

This does it every single time the layout is switched on.  No locos on the track, no other accessories other than the points, which are on their own bus.
It can last up to 30 seconds and is really irritating.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:33 pm »
This does it every single time the layout is switched on.  No locos on the track, no other accessories other than the points, which are on their own bus.
Is it a DCC bus?  If so, the decoders must be receiving false signals from something, possibly the controller.  Otherwise, I've no idea.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
Power supply not meaty enough? My servos used to twitch in unison on start up because there wasn't enough power to throw them all. Uprated power supply sorted it.

Offline hillside

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
Is it a DCC bus?  If so, the decoders must be receiving false signals from something, possibly the controller.  Otherwise, I've no idea.

Separate DCC accessory bus. What do you mean by false signals?  This is a total mystery as to the why's or wherefores.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything