!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wireless DC Model Railway Controllers  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Zogbert Splod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
Re: Wireless DC Model Railway Controllers
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 03:11:46 pm »
Before I decided to build a layout I was using Arduinos to build robotic projects. This is the wireless solution I settled on :http://www.dx.com/p/arduino-apc220-wireless-rf-modules-w-antennas-usb-converter-143011#.WL7JB3qnzMI
The same devices are available at much lower cost from many sources.
I used them in a simple Arduino to Arduino configuration and also in a PC to Arduino set up. I am aware that this is not for everyone as it requires some programming and a basic understanding of communications protocols.
I did have a problem to begin with as the setup involves the one time use of a program that can only be described as 'Chinglish'! I currently have 3 pairs of these and they work perfectly with no cross talk problems at all.
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline kiwi1941

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:04:40 am »
Bump! This thread seems to have been hijacked by electronic types. Can I ask my original question again? Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 06:16:55 am »
 ;D :laughabovepost:

Good on you, mate. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one too, as it looks good, particularly for folk with large walk around style layouts.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 07:43:25 am »
I think you can probably infer that the answer is "no" ;)

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
I'm quite tempted by this too. I think I'd start with the basic Model 522 Wireless Receiver (39.50) and use the Android app as a controller to start with. That at least would give an idea of how well (or not) the device actually controls the locos. If they run well, then add the Model 720 Wireless Controller (44.50) for the knobs. Still like to read a review though.

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:12 pm »
I've just ordered the 522/720 combo. I'll report back later, unless anyone has beaten me to it!

Offline kiwi1941

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 02:32:55 pm »
I've just ordered the 522/720 combo. I'll report back later, unless anyone has beaten me to it!
I've done the same and am awaiting delivery! Brian

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Offline kiwi1941

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 05:31:49 am »
I've done the same and am awaiting delivery! Brian
Well it's here and I like it. I have  a simple two circuit layout but it's quite large in a 6m x 6m room. The wireless controller works perfectly and I have found no drawbacks (except that it's easy to lose so I hang it from a lanyard around my neck or attach one of those key detectors that beep ẃhen you whistle or clap; I feel rather stupid doing both together!)

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:13 pm »
Yes, I'm pleased with mine too, although not without some minor problems, mainly down to me!

I hadn't realised that although I had not used common return wiring (which the Model 522 doesn't support) I had made some modifications to my control panel which had in effect caused a common return. Whoops.

Blue Wireless kindly took my 522 back and I bought two 601 controllers instead. These still give link wirelessly to the 702 or to my tablet or phone.

The system works well, although I tend not to use the wireless function a lot! I really like the 601 PWM controllers, and I've used fairly long wires and use them as wired handheld controllers!

Two points to note.

I don't much like controlling my railway from a phone or tablet. I find it difficult, especially as the virtual knobs are rotary. It might be easier if the control replicated a straight lever. There looks to be a lot of interesting tweaking to be done in terms of setting parameters for the type of control required. I haven't had much of a play with that. Have you found it useful?

The other point is that I use two DC baseboard mounted steam chuffers, one diesel sound generator and one whistle simulator. One of the chuffers, and especially the whistle pick up interference from the controllers, even if not using the bluetooth facility. I need to investigate that further, meanwhile I've disabled the whistle as that was the worst affected. It maybe that the long cables to the handhelds are causing this problem.

Offline Geriatrix

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »
Just found this downloadable review on the Blue Railways website http://bluerailways.co.uk/downloads/blueRailways_Sept2017.pdf

Interesting reading, and well explained.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:58:49 pm by Geriatrix »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything