!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wireless DC Model Railway Controllers  (Read 1489 times)

Offline kiwi1941

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
Wireless DC Model Railway Controllers
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:13:57 am »
Has anyone any experience of this system? See http://bluerailways.co.uk/Index.aspx TIA Brian
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:08:47 pm by Railwaygun, Reason: dots removed »
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Wireless DC Model Railway Controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:41:40 am »
Sounds interesting, but can't get the link to work, mate.  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:47:44 am »
I also could not get the link to work. However, if you just put in the site address, (bluerailways.co.uk), it then takes you to the site.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:47 am »
You could try looking at http://www.rctrains.co.uk/index.htm . The receiver works fine with a smooth 12 volt power supplier and the overall performance is very good indeed.  I first used this system with the receiver mounted inside G scale battery powered locos. I have recently installed a receiver in a track powered G scale layout. Feed the smoothed 12 volts to the receiver mounted on the baseboard and then wire what is described as the output to motor to the track.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:00:58 am »
Sounds interesting, but can't get the link to work, mate.  :hmmm:

www.bluerailways.co.uk should do it. :) The site has a video with come of the features. Honestly, the best looking aspects were what you could do with the app to alter acceleration, deceleration, starting and stopping speeds, etc. If you like the fine control of DCC but don't want to run more than a couple of locos at a time and don't want to deal with the expense of converting locos o DCC, it seems like a good option. It's very affordable too. 39.99£ for the two track wireless if you want phone/tablet operation, or 79.99£ for two track wireless, with a two track remote as well. I might actually get this system for a small layout I'm planning with kit built locos that aren't exactly easily converted to DCC. It would allow for fine speed control (though would require me to have isolated sections  :hmmm:). Thanks very much for the link! I hadn't heard of these before. If you end up with one, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:05:12 am »
Yep, that link works fine. Looks like a good product. Thanks everyone for the heads up !  :thumbsup: :beers:

George

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:11:12 am »
There's a spurious full stop at the end of the link in the OP, which is why it doesn't work.

Offline kiwi1941

• N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:24:25 am »
Sorry about the confusion; I cut and pasted the url but forgot to remove the stop. Thanks anyway for the feedback so far. Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Online Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:59 am »
It could be a good idea for exhibition layouts giving 2 independent wire free channels, freeing the operator to walk round the layout.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:51 am »
It could be a good idea for exhibition layouts giving 2 independent wire free channels, freeing the operator to walk round the layout.

I'd want  one base unit receiver and  two of the single channel transmitters (like the 601 style but without the power output) for two operators to run the layout, however they don't seem to offer that option? Probably also would want a twin channel 720 as an alternative for when one operator is at lunch.

Not interested in the smartphone/tablet operation, tried that and don't like it as I much prefer a tactile knob for control. 

I presume the wireless is arranged with a unique SSID or something so there'd be no conflict between different layouts running the same system? On the other hand can multiple transmitters be bound to the same receiver if specifically desired (eg. as per my requirement for 2x 1 channel or 1x 2 channel depending on number of active operators)?   These are all questions to put to BlueRailways of course, I'm just thinking about how Id use such a system.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 09:17:59 am »
Yes, all good questions, particularly the one about conflicting frequencies between two separate systems close to each other.

What intrigues me is that the things seem very adaptable to Arduino hackers, and I will be suggesting a similar idea to our Aussies electronics Mag, who may be able to turn out a design and kit to do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

They just did a design this month for a PWM controller, which unfortunately, N gauge motors don't like.

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
No iOS/MacOS version, so automatically rules it out for me (also means a good chance it's very homebrew if they can't even get a basic iOS app together for it).

Custom radio is also very worrying. That put me off early wireless DCC as the units I saw all clashed with WiFi signals as they used the same frequencies without bothering with all that certification nonsense. Given how cheap it is to use an off the shelf Bluetooth chip it seems rather silly to have rolled their own.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:45 am »
The RC trains option might still be worth considering. It uses 2.4ghz radio control. You bind the receiver to the controller. They also do transmitters than can control up to 12 receivers although I find that if I set more than two running with the same controller it always ends with a crash due to operator error.
There is also a possibility of radio control points see http://www.deltang.co.uk/tx27a-1.jpg

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
you can run An
No iOS/MacOS version, so automatically rules it out for me (also means a good chance it's very homebrew if they can't even get a basic iOS app together for it).

Custom radio is also very worrying. That put me off early wireless DCC as the units I saw all clashed with WiFi signals as they used the same frequencies without bothering with all that certification nonsense. Given how cheap it is to use an off the shelf Bluetooth chip it seems rather silly to have rolled their own.

you can run Adroid Apps on iPhones - Google Dalvik Emulator  - may be worth a try?

And as this is a Bluetooth device ( wireless I know) but you can lock down an app to a particular Bluetooth receiver??
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 12:39:57 pm »
you can run An

you can run Adroid Apps on iPhones - Google Dalvik Emulator  - may be worth a try?

And as this is a Bluetooth device ( wireless I know) but you can lock down an app to a particular Bluetooth receiver??

That emulator requires jailbreak/ non App Store installation, so it's not much use unfortunately. Besides, the main issue is they've either not got the basic know how to do an iOS app and/or they're doing something in their app that breaks the approval rules (which would make it unsafe).

On the bluetooth side though, that is good news (I should have read more carefully and got the clue from the name) I read the question about conflicting channels as an issue instead of a question. So in answer to that one, in theory at least if it's using Bluetooth there shouldn't be any conflict issues.

It is something fairly easy to do with Arduino as Bealman suggests. Assuming you've got the bits and the know how.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here