!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bredfield & Wrights Ferry  (Read 716 times)

Online 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
Bredfield & Wrights Ferry
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:57:33 pm »
Having been modelling the US scene in N for over 30 years now (plus about 8 years of UK outline prior to that), this is the third generation of my main American N layout - and to be honest, I'm going to stick with this new version for the duration now!

Rather than have the layout as a stand-alone feature, it is actually going to be located in the same "footprint" (or actually a bit smaller) as my U shaped OO layout, which actually stands just over 4' above floor level. This enables me to have a 6' x 7'6 oval N layout (with a few added on bits...) underneath it, standing some 2'6" above floor level. The layout will have 5 baseboards and two of these are currently being built so that I can actually get something running. A space is being left at one end of the "0" for access purposes, and this will be filled by a couple of bridges when the layout is in operation.
I've got quite a variety of stock which has been built up over the years, though, in the main, it tends to be Northeastern USA prototypes, particularly PRR & NH locos, with steam (only 3 examples), diesel & electric covering the period from approx 1950 up to 2010.

The layout is being built with a view to being able to operate the following:-
a) A high level 2 or 4 track electrified main line, mainly for passenger traffic (think North East Corridor).
b) A low level mainly freight operation.
c) An electric interurban tramway.

For the upper level, the majority of the track is being laid on preballasted underlay, which is a bit quicker than the other methods and I have been satisfied with its performance in the past. On my last layout I used some of the commercially available "Brush it on" ballast which I found to be a disaster for various reasons - although it has been fine on my OO layout.
Some of the "freight" trackage is also on underlay, but the rest is "traditionally" ballasted, as is the interurban, other than where the two lines are running on street trackage!

The first baseboard was completed fairly quickly, but still needs "finishing off". It has been mounted in place under the OO layout and is a bit of a b* to photograph, so I will post pictures of that at a future stage.

Baseboard number two is the one I am working on at the moment and have been kitbashing/constructing some of the buildings to go on it (as seen in the "On my workbench" thread), but considerable progress has been made in the last few days on some of the scenery.
The board itself is a "T" shape, rather than the originally planned "L" as a corner unit. I found I could add a bit more on to it in the space available which expanded the scenic (and operational) features. This includes a rather steeply graded tram route (1:6!) with 5" radius curves that my Bachmann bogie cars can manage,  up to an upper residential area - named "Federal Hill". What was just going to be a run-round loop for the grain terminal was also extended into a tunnel, where I can "loose" an RDC on a local passenger service.

The tram route can be made out on this view....

A general plan view of the baseboard can be seen here -

Firstly without the base for the 4-track upper level main line.............

and secondly with the curved section in place...........

I am concentrating on the lower level at the moment, and the uppwer level will only be fixed in place and worked on once I am happy that all the lower level tracks are operating correctly, given that things like the flat crossing will be rather difficult to get at!

Being located in the NE of the USA, the layouts name was duly selected by sticking a pin in a map of Suffolk (!) which selected the name "Bredfield" (nr Woodbridge). I'm not aware of any settlement of that name in the US, unless someone knows different, so it is a suitable choice. As the layout is going to be joined by a pair of removable bridges, "Wrights Ferry" was selected as the name of the smaller settlement at one end of the bridges. There was somewhere in Pennsylvania of that name, but it was renamed "Columbia" in the late 1700's, with an eye on becoming the possible Capital of the newly independent 13 States. It does have an ex PRR line through it, which was electrified up to 1981, so it is appropriate for my layout in some ways!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Bredfield & Wrights Ferry
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »
Great project, look forward to seeing it progress

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:25:25 am »
It looks like it will be a very interesting layout, please keep the update photos coming and maybe a little video would be brilliant.  Happy Modelling   :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 06:48:57 am »
Thanks very much for the photos and the explanation, 70000.

Would it be possible to get a track plan of your planned layout, please? I've been watching your buildings thread with great interest, even though the 'town' on my layout is set on the other side of the continent and will be very different from yours.

70000 is the running number of Britannia. Is that where your name comes from?

Webbo

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:02 am »
Thanks very much for the photos and the explanation, 70000.

Would it be possible to get a track plan of your planned layout, please? I've been watching your buildings thread with great interest, even though the 'town' on my layout is set on the other side of the continent and will be very different from yours.

70000 is the running number of Britannia. Is that where your name comes from?

Webbo

I haven't actually drawn up a plan for the layout, as I'm literally "making it up " as I go along!
I have a rough idea of what features I want to include on the layout, and where they will fit on the completed set-up, but nothing is ever set down on paper, which must make my layout planning a bit different to most peoples....
I'll see if I can come up with something for the current two baseboards though, as the track plan for those two are already decided and most are already fixed in place.
You are right with the origin of the user name as well.  As steam finished round here the year I was born, I certainly never saw any in East Anglia, though there is a good chance I may have seen some in the mid 60's in the Warrington area, but I was too young to know what the different types were then!

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »
Baseboard No.1 has been extracted for some finishing off work, and is now photographable....

High level "passenger" lines to the left (with o/head masts), "freight" lines at low level in centre, interurban to right with brown ballast.
Interurban freight house in bottom right hand corner, fuelling point on freight lines is the siding next to the sand tower, grain terminal to top of photo.

PS - some of the "blotches" visible are where I have being dong some work on the scatter material, and haven't dried out yet!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:45:10 pm by 70000 »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:30 pm »
 :hellosign: Very nice modelling, looking good, thanks for sharing
       regards Derek.

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 01:29:50 pm »
Now that the church is finished off, that completes the row of buildings on that section of road on baseboard No.2.

I added a clock face to the church after posting a picture on the "workbench" thread, as I thought there was too greater expanse of bare brickwork on the tower.
Boards 1 & 2 are now in position, and having joined up the tracks on the lower level, I can at least indulge in some shunting, as well as testing out some of my stock which hasn't been used for a while.
Progress my slow down now, as, since the weather appears to be improving, my attention will be turning to getting the G scale in the garden running again!

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:47:06 am »
Not a lot of time to progress with much work on the first two baseboards in the past week, but here are a couple of pictures taken of Baseboard No.1, which is the most scenically complete one so far. Baseboard 2 starts at the rather dramatic "end of track" in front of the EMU.

Before anyone asks, the EMU was constructed using some of those old Bachmann coaches that were being sold off very cheaply a few years back. The powered unit uses an old Minitrix Warship diesel chassis, which happens to be a perfect fit inside the coaches!
They do look vaguely like the PRR MP54 units, though a rivet-counter would most probably have a fit........

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 10:37:20 am »
Further progress has been made on baseboard No.2........

As the lower level trackwork appears to be working OK and the scenics are completed in the area concerned, the upper level viaduct is now in place and ready for tracklaying. In case of any problems, it is removable, so I can get to the track underneath if it comes to it.
A change to plan has been the widening of the main baseboards with removable sections which will enable buildings to be placed on the operators well side of the boards. These are the matt black painted sections visible at the bottom of the photo. Originally the edges of the roadways went up to the edge of the boards, but I wasn't satisfied with this, so the roads can now be edged with buildings - mainly low relief, but full ones in the case of the corner garage - which looks a lot better.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 10:48:41 am »
Good to see progress continuing :thumbsup:

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »
I've actually managed to make some progress on the main, high level, station in the town centre area over the past couple of weeks, together with the interurban tram terminus in the road outside.

The kitbashed station building is seen here in situ, though it still requires some more work before it is finished off.
The first sections of platforms have been scratchbuilt with their associated canopies and subway entrances, whilst a pair of freight elevator buildings have been constructed for the right hand ends of the two platforms. An REA building was cobbled together from some odd building parts from the spares box and sits next to the station at the elevator ends of the platforms.

One of my Interurban cars (actually a Modemo Japanese prototype, but after the US style) sits in the brick loading platform in front of the station, though it is on the through tramway track, rather than in the stub interurban terminal track. I was going to have centre traction poles here, but a bit of kitbashing with a Tomix motorbus resulted in the orange and cream trolleybus you can see in this picture, so it will be (invisible) span wires with roadside silver traction poles, some of which have already sprouted outside the station!

The white area is one of the town centre blocks of buildings, all bar one of which will have to be scratchbuilt........

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:49:03 am »
I was going to have centre traction poles here, but a bit of kitbashing with a Tomix motorbus resulted in the orange and cream trolleybus you can see in this picture, so it will be (invisible) span wires with roadside silver traction poles, some of which have already sprouted outside the station!

Not invisible - fine scale!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:01:16 am by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area

https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:41:32 pm »
I was going to have centre traction poles here, but a bit of kitbashing with a Tomix motorbus resulted in the orange and cream trolleybus you can see in this picture, so it will be (invisible) span wires with roadside silver traction poles, some of which have already sprouted outside the station!

Not invisible - fine scale!

My OO layout does have a section of dummy trolleybus overhead on it - about 4'6" worth - on one of the roadways, and it was bad enough scratchbuilding that lot in a larger scale (poles, span wires, bracket arms, wire hangers and the contact wires, so I certainly wouldn't want to attempt it in N !!
The 4mm scale version is fragile enough......... :D

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here