!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: American stock on PECO track ?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: American stock on PECO track ?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:07 am »
A lot of US modellers prefer Peco to Atlas and use it for US N scale no problem :) In fact, its code 55 is better with pizza cutter wheels than Atlas' code 55. Code 80 of whichever can support almost any wheel, from what I gather. I was in a model shop last week and the older gentleman working there proudly told me he uses peco code 55 for all his trackwork, but was thoroughly unimpressed when I replied excitedly that my reason for doing so was that I model U.K. Outline (which is basically nonexistent over here). Needless to say, he Models US and has no problem :) Any ideas on which region/companies you might like? I just moved to St Louis and discovered that you can see BNSF, UP, NS, and CSX locos here!!! I'm pretty sure it is the only place in the country with that advantage ;) Happy modeling and feel free to message me with any questions or to pick my brain about US modeling (I certainly needed to pick lots of brains here about where to find UK info!).

Philip

Forum member Chetcombe may have something to say about that  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:58:57 am »
You should also see CN locos there as well. The only class 1 railway that doesn't run to St. Louis is CP.

Webbo

Quite right! I have! They slipped my mind :) And yes, no CP, but I'll take 5/6! :D And yes, Chetcombe and a few others of us do it, but you'll never walk into a US model shop and find a used Farish GP tank or a Kestrel or metcalfe kit! The closest you come is the odd Oxford diecast item or (twice now) a PD Marsh set of oil drums. Not to mention I've yet to see a U.K. Outline layout at a show (which I intend to personally rectify one of these days!). :)
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 09:39:00 am »
Oh dear Mr trump will probably have you tarred feathered and run out of town for that one ! :P
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 01:49:14 pm »
An itty bitty little piece of proof.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6muwvhc1ldhv1du/B%20%26%20O%20set.MOV?dl=0
Clerestory coaches in blue/grey livery? Anyway since when did Bang and Olufsen make trains?  :hmmm:

Hi railsquid, I'm not sure if you're joking, if so then disregard. The B&O was the Baltimore and Ohio railroad in the USA. The B&O, C&O and WM were merged to create the Chessie System. The Chessie System merged with the Seaboard System to create todays CSX railroad. 

Cheers,
Rich S.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »
An itty bitty little piece of proof.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6muwvhc1ldhv1du/B%20%26%20O%20set.MOV?dl=0
Clerestory coaches in blue/grey livery? Anyway since when did Bang and Olufsen make trains?  :hmmm:

Hi railsquid, I'm not sure if you're joking, if so then disregard. The B&O was the Baltimore and Ohio railroad in the USA. The B&O, C&O and WM were merged to create the Chessie System. The Chessie System merged with the Seaboard System to create todays CSX railroad.
I believe I was attempting to needle NPN  :angel:
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »
Hi
Just starting out on my first setup and am thinking about what layout etc I want. I really like the American engines and stock and was wondering if they would run ok if I use standard UK PECO track ? Might be a silly question but I am slightly confused by the different scales .
Thanks in advance

Hi Flotmangooner, I think what leads to the confusion, N gauge is 1:148 while N scale is 1:160, but both run on 9 mm track. To add to the confusion, in Japan a scale of 1:150 is used with 9 mm track to model 3 ft 6 in narrow gauge trains. As was mentioned earlier, all will run fine on Peco code 80 track.

Another well known author who used Peco track on an American prototype railroad is David Popp's New Haven layout.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:42 pm »

Hi Flotmangooner, I think what leads to the confusion, N gauge is 1:148 while N scale is 1:160, but both run on 9 mm track.

N gauge = 9mm gauge, with a scale that usually approximates standard gauge (as compared to HOe or OO9 which are also 9mm track gauge but with scales to represent narrow gauge).

1:148 = British N Scale.   1:160 = European or American N scale.  1:150 = Japanese N Scale
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:09:05 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »

Hi Flotmangooner, I think what leads to the confusion, N gauge is 1:148 while N scale is 1:160, but both run on 9 mm track.

N gauge = 9mm gauge, with a scale that usually approximates standard gauge (as compared to HOe or OO9 which are also 9mm track gauge but with scales to represent narrow gauge).

1:148 = British N Scale.   1:160 = European or American N scale.  1:150 = Japanese N Scale

Hi ntpntpntp, And that is where we run into confusion, 1:148 scale is over sized for 9 mm track. Using 1:150 scale with 9mm track works out to be 3' 6" gauge track. Using 1:160 scale with 9 mm track works out to be 4' 8.5 inches, aka standard gauge. Now I've read articles were some folks are using 1:148 scale with 9.42 mm track to represent standard gauge.  All of this does lead to some confusion for people getting into the hobby. I understand your point, gauge is the distance between the inside of the rail heads, while scale is the relationship between the model and the prototype, but I've found quite often when reading articles about folks in the UK using a scale of 1:148 and 9mm track, calling it British N gauge, instead of British N scale.

:NGaugersRule:  8)  :D

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 08:43:00 pm »
... I've found quite often when reading articles about folks in the UK using a scale of 1:148 and 9mm track, calling it British N gauge, instead of British N scale.

Yes, the two terms do seems to be used interchangeably.     I notice that with my international friends there are differences in Europe too:  germans tend to use Spur N or Spurweite N (track or gauge),  the French seem to prefer Echelle N (scale) as do the Italians with Scala N.

The same happens in other sizes too:  G gauge or G scale for example, which can cause heated discussions when the typical scales used on 45mm gauge can range from 1:32 to 1:16.

Personally I think it's great that with N things like couplings and general physical size were pretty much standardised early on, allowing folk to collect and run a varied mix if they wish.   As you say,   :NGaugersRule:
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything