!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)  (Read 1659 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
Re: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2017, 07:34:19 am »
Yes, had quite a few of Heljan kits, which I regarded as boxes of raw materials. Most of the bits are on my layout, but look nothing like the buildings on the box they came out of!!

One of the strangest ones I bought was a brewery kit that could either be built as an N or HO scale kit - different size door units being supplied in the box - though it was clearly marked as an N scale kit.
It seemed rather oversize for N, so part of it ended up on my OO layout as a maltings, whilst the other section ended up as a Wehrmacht barracks admin building on an HO "shelf" tram layout!
There is a wooden factory building off the scrapped layout that looks suspiciously like it is a dual scale one as well, so it may have been a Heljan/Con-Cor "thing".

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2017, 08:04:18 am »
Yes, there were some strange kits around in the seventies. I remember a kit by some European manufacturer whose name eludes me....

A clearly American New England station building that was supposedly N gauge, but the windows and doors were quite obviously huge..... HO!

I bought it, and used the bits.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 11:10:59 am »
A couple more buildings have been completed over the Easter weekend....

The garage is a Woodland Scenics "Landscape Structures" kit fitted to a base that fills a street corner site on the layout and the adjacent Pawn shop is a cut down DPM kit obtained secondhand some years back.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
The main section of the tramway Generating Station is well on the way to completion....

The building started life as a DPM furniture factory, though it was never constructed as per the original plans in the first place. I've made further alterations this time, including replacing the long side wall (not visible in this shot) by a solid wall. This will be where an enclosed coal unloading hopper will be located on the completed complex. The brick chimney is a commercially available product that comes in a pack of 2, but I can't remember the manufacturer.
The circular roof vents on the boiler/turbine house are actually HO scale ones, as the N equivalent ones looked too small. They look as if they could house an N gauge Joe 90 at some stage..........

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2017, 12:48:33 am »
Excellent modelling. Triple thumbs up!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the roof vents look a bit Joe 90ish, don't they!

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 12:24:36 pm »
Not a lot has been done on the N layout over the past couple of months, as it's more "Garden Railway" time of the year, but I have constructed one of the Town Centre blocks using 6 buildings of the previous layout that have been suitably "refreshed".  Buildings are from DPM or Heljan as far as I can remember - I think the Post Office was a Heljan product, the Ice Cream parlour certainly was.
Couldn't be bothered to change the previous lettring on the PO, despite the layouts location moving a bit further south than Massachusetts!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 12:46:15 pm »
Smashing models with a wealth of detail :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 01:19:18 am »
Great models. Certainly have that stateside character!   :thumbsup:

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 12:27:55 pm »
Not quite "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew....." but the (Lifelike?) Fire Station off my previous layout has had a bit of a refresh and has been mounted on its base for the new layout.

The two US fire appliances were purchased from one of the "Poundland" shops about 15 years ago as a set of 3 childrens toys. They are just slightly overscale for "N" but don't look too out of place. The third appliance was a Simon-Snorkel type on a Mercedes chassis that ended up being given to someone I know who has an N German tram layout for use as an overhead maintenance vehicle!
Not seen any of those toy sets around since then though, unfortunately.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 10:54:35 pm »
Looks very good. I especially like the two fire trucks.

It seems that relatively modern fire trucks like yours are hard to find these days. Athearn made them a few years ago, but seem to be all sold out. ModelTech Studios and Showcase Miniatures also make fire trucks whose prototype dates to the 1950s. Great if you're modelling that era.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything