!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)  (Read 3099 times)

Online 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
Rowhouses (and other US buildings)
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:40 am »
Just finished this short group of low-relief Rowhouses (terraces to you & me) from a couple of spare back walls from DPM kits - the first of many scratchbuilt/kitbashed buildings to be constructed for my new US outline layout.

Think they capture the style of the real thing in some eastern US cities, and were considerably cheaper to produce than the "proper" models of such things that are available for an arm and a leg on Shapeways!

Will post further examples of the various building projects once they are completed.  Some of them are not exactly the type of buildings that you see on the usual US outline N layouts either (or any other scale for that matter...)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:09:32 pm by 70000 »

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Rowhouses (and other US buildings)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
Hi 70000

Outstanding!!
Yes, those buildings are everywhere in New England, US!!
Nice choice of colours, 70000! It made huge difference in appearance.

Dats

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »
As someone who lives in a row house in a historic district in Philadelphia, I think they look pretty good. Our block dates back to 1856 and the houses are three stories tall. If you build more you might want to include low level basement windows at ground level and the classic stone front steps or 'stoop'

And yes I know that 1856 is not particularly 'historic' when compared to the old country ;)

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:47:33 am »
If you build more you might want to include low level basement windows at ground level and the classic stone front steps or 'stoop'

And yes I know that 1856 is not particularly 'historic' when compared to the old country ;)

I'm going to be building some more at a future date and those ones will be based on various photos I have taken on trips to the US. I took several in Baltimore last October and even took some in Philly on a previous trip - particularly the block opposite Wayne Junction station where the trolleybus turning loop is!
These were a quick job basically to fill a space on the backscene and were tailored to the two spare DPM wall sections.
As I want my layout to be "a bit different", I'm trying to get away from the DPM/Walthers "identikit" town buildings you see everywhere else by scratchbuilding my own.
One of the buildings "on the list" even dates back to 1677...........!!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:00:31 am »
Having spent a couple of weeks in Montpelier, Vermont, a few years back, I can say they have certainly brought back a few memories, so they must look the part.

Need a bit of weathering, though.  :thumbsup:

Just seem a bit clean, but I fibbed a bit when I said I was in Vermont a few years ago - it was more like 17..... so maybe my memory is a bit sketchy  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:37:32 am »
Walking around the Waterloo (London, UK) area yesterday I noted quite a large number of flat roofed buildings with raised parapets. I have confirmed on Google maps that they do not have pitched roofs, so another unexpected use for the DPM kits.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:26:01 am »
Need a bit of weathering, though.  :thumbsup:

The plain brick ones have actually been weathered/toned down - it's just the photo doesn't show it very well!

A further pair of buildings - wooden "Colonial" style/era ones this time - have been completed for the area by one of the streetcar route termini. They were mainly constructed from parts from one of the Model Power "Grandmas House" kits.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:39:52 am by 70000 »

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:24 am »
Lovely! Now that does remind me of Montpelier!   :thumbsup:

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:02:17 am »
I'm going to be building some more at a future date and those ones will be based on various photos I have taken on trips to the US. I took several in Baltimore last October and even took some in Philly on a previous trip - particularly the block opposite Wayne Junction station where the trolleybus turning loop is!
These were a quick job basically to fill a space on the backscene and were tailored to the two spare DPM wall sections.
As I want my layout to be "a bit different", I'm trying to get away from the DPM/Walthers "identikit" town buildings you see everywhere else by scratchbuilding my own.
One of the buildings "on the list" even dates back to 1677...........!!

Good luck as you search for something a little different. My favorite block in Philly is Elfreth's Alley, which is supposedly the oldest residential street in America. We looked at a house on this street when we moved from New York. Fascinating house, really narrow on 3 stories but nowhere close by to park...

I also took a look at some of your photos. You have clearly travelled the Philadelphia transit system quite extensively and have some great photos, particularly of the trolleys. I find the trolleys fascinating - there are apparently more trolley lines active in Philadelphia than there are in San Francisco (which seems to be the city most associated with trolleys). Perhaps I should consider a trolley layout some day!

Online 70000

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:21:11 am »

Good luck as you search for something a little different. My favorite block in Philly is Elfreth's Alley, which is supposedly the oldest residential street in America. We looked at a house on this street when we moved from New York. Fascinating house, really narrow on 3 stories but nowhere close by to park...

I also took a look at some of your photos. You have clearly travelled the Philadelphia transit system quite extensively and have some great photos, particularly of the trolleys. I find the trolleys fascinating - there are apparently more trolley lines active in Philadelphia than there are in San Francisco (which seems to be the city most associated with trolleys). Perhaps I should consider a trolley layout some day!

I've made several visits to Philly over the past 20 years and have used the SEPTA system to get around whilst there as you get more of a feel to the place than following the tourist trails - and I have certainly passed through some "interesting" neighbourhoods, particularly on the trolley lines!!
Helps when you are visiting local brewpubs/breweries as well..............

I've actually got a small N exhibition layout based on a freelance "Philadelphia" location (complete with static trolleys), which has been in store for the past 4 years. I've got to get it up and running for a show in June this year, so will post some photos in the "Layout" thread when extracted from its resting place.
Only problem is the lack of RTR SEPTA stock in N. There are several items on the Shapeways site, but by the time you buy the shells and then add in the running gear it comes to serious $$$/£££ !

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 01:20:27 am »
Look forward to seeing the photos of the Philly Trolley layout when you post them.

A quick search online threw up some N gauge SEPTA trolleys (who would have thought it), so it has got me thinking. My layout is in the garage in a U shape and above it is a shelf. If I was to lower the shelf a bit I would have enough space for a terminus to terminus trolley system, either double track or single track with a passing loop. Along the back I could have classic Philly architecture, I would need some electric trickery to automatically control the trolley so that it goes out, stops, returns, stops ad infinitum. Suggestions as to how I could automate it are welcome!

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 03:11:23 am »
Hi Mike

Occasionally, I read about automatic reversing units, but don't take close notice. I suspect that there are a few of them about. Here is one:

http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=RU1-1

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 04:11:25 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that UK company Heathcote Electronics do one as well.

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:38 am »

A further pair of buildings - wooden "Colonial" style/era ones this time - have been completed for the area by one of the streetcar route termini. They were mainly constructed from parts from one of the Model Power "Grandmas House" kits.

Now those look more like east coast suburbia. I could see these representing the end of the Trolley line in Media PA (and I know you have been there cos I saw it in one of your Flickr photos!!)

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 08:16:38 am »
Watched the movie "Split" yesterday. This  is set in Philadelphia. One of the street shots was the row houses in Clinton Street, I think, near the Pennsylvania Hospital. Brought back memories of my visits in the late 1980s.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything