!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Swiss steam loco - does a standard price N Gauge model exist?  (Read 704 times)

Online swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Swiss steam loco - does a standard price N Gauge model exist?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 10:25:03 am »

MB Kramm have some

Steam locomotive 2axle (bayr. D VI) with 2x 2axle passenger car, era II/III, N-gauge
Manufacturer:   Kato
Item number:   105001
Recommended Retail Price (EU price w. VAT):    59,90 €
Our Price (EU price w. VAT):    53,90 €

http://www.modellbahn-kramm.com/index.cfm?sprache=E

Yes thanks. They are readily available at various prices from many sources at home and abroad.
Although I don't personally remember seeing the set before a bit of research revealed that the set (and a variant with blue/white coaches) has been available for many years. It was even mentioned on this forum in 2012 :-[
John

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 02:30:49 pm »
The Kato Chibi loco is loosely based on the 1880s Bavarian D VI, and while it may be suitable as a works or museum loco, it is not a Swiss engine.

Minitrix did produce a Swiss version of the Glaskasten, no. 12004. However, this is from the Sensetalbahn (STB), so probably gets overlooked when searching only for SBB or BLS. Comes up for sale every now and then, so not particularly rare.
Just to show how it looks, an ebay buy-it-now that has ended recently:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192241704192

The STB got this engine in 1910 and it was used until the mid/late-50s. Could be used as a preserved loco on an SBB line but in reality this Glaskasten was scrapped in 1961. Info about the prototype with pictures:
http://www.bahnzauber-europa.at/eisenba_07.htm

With a bit of luck one can obtain a BLS Ed 4/6 tank loco from Wabu for a good price. These were brass models that used Kato's BR 86 chassis and were sold in the Kato box (with paper inlay removed and a Wabu sticker placed over the Kato logo). Sometimes they get listed as a Kato BR 86. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:43:46 am by Hiawatha, Reason: Sensetalbahn abbreviation is of course STB, not SBT »

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 12:30:05 am »
I visited the brewery many times but never saw the 0-4-0 in action, always the Tigerli.

I have one photo of the back of the 0-4-0 loco in the shed!

However, it looked like this:

http://www.lokremise-sulgen.ch/bilder/galerien/image?view=image&format=raw&type=orig&id=384

The Kato model is not a million miles away, but it looks out of proportion, especially the small boiler versus the oversize chassis. Nevertheless, the Kato model has two domes, the 'flared' front end and the correct short side tanks. Putting the body on an Ibertren Cuckoo might work. Unfortunately the Ibertren body has full length side tanks and is die cast.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:31:48 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 09:53:46 am »
Thanks for that Gordon. I have never actually visited the Feldschlössen brewery and didn't even know that they had an 0-4-0 loco.
Although not associated with a brewery this was the loco that I had in mind when buying the Kato set.

I believe it was originally the works shunter at SLM in Winterthur.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:01:05 am by swisstrains »
John

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 11:54:32 pm »
Thanks for that Gordon. I have never actually visited the Feldschlössen brewery and didn't even know that they had an 0-4-0 loco.
I believe it was originally the works shunter at SLM in Winterthur.

The 0-4-0 loco was the original, but once Tigerli locos became surplus to requirements they were a natural choice for industry and the Feldschlössen brewery even more so due to the steep gradient and heavier modern wagons.

Here are some of my pics from a visit in the 1980s, which without actually consciously trying I managed to include a large variety of the Feldschlösschen (I've remembered to add in the ch this time!) wagons and even the passenger coaches in the far background. The Ae4/7 worked the pick up freights which delivered and took away the beer wagons once a day. The steam loco tended to work in the morning not the afternoon (wagons were often descended by gravity in the afternoon without the need for the loco to be in steam all day.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:03:12 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 08:30:08 pm »
I really appreciate that insight into Feldschlösschen operations Gordon. Very interesting.
Apologies for continually omitting the "ch" in my previous posts. I always seem to have a mental block with the word Feldschlösschen despite having seen it often enough on bottle labels. :-[ I suppose it's fortunate that Markus isn't on this forum or a severe reprimand would have been coming my way. :D
John

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 01:27:31 am »
I really appreciate that insight into Feldschlösschen operations Gordon. Very interesting.
Apologies for continually omitting the "ch" in my previous posts. I always seem to have a mental block with the word Feldschlösschen despite having seen it often enough on bottle labels. :-[ I suppose it's fortunate that Markus isn't on this forum or a severe reprimand would have been coming my way. :D

Indeed!

My one disappointment is that it is now part of the Carlsberg conglomerate (and they even make Lipton Ice Tea...)

European railway expert

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: £6.50