Windows boot failure

Started by Dorsetmike, November 29, 2016, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I've ordered a 64Gb SSD from Amazon £35.25 and already have a caddy. I also have some USB memory sticks up to 32Gb which I can use (if I can find where they're hiding)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

themadhippy

On the machine you want to be internet free go into the network settings ,right click the ip4 settings then propertys, in the new window  set a  static ip adress  and  leave the defualt gateway address blank.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Dorsetmike

Still having problems, I now have SSDs for both PCs amd installed Win7 pro on both SSDs, now when I swich on I get a screen asking me to select operating system and gives me 3 options for Win 7, no matter which I select boot hangs at the "Starting Windows" screen.

I  can boot fine with only the SSD connected but not with a conventional drive also connected.

If I put he conventional drive in an external USB caddy and go to Control panel partitioning screen the external drive shows a 100Mb EFI system area  which is not accessible to format or do any other actions, I suspect that has Windoze boot manager in it which is why I get the boot problems.

Any suggestions for removing it????
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

themadhippy

qparted would be my goto tool,use the live version,boot from it and play with your partions,but do make sure youve a back up  as its very easy to wipe the entire drive.You could also try  disabling uefi in the bios
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Dorsetmike

Think I have it sorted now, had a brain fart and did a Google, found a few hints and tips. Mostly involving various functions in diskpart, quite a few options in it. Got one booting properly now, so maybe I can start loading some software now.

Now to try the other one, fingers andf other extremities crossed!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations