!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 10697 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the union mills model, in fact I have one on my shopping list  :claphappy:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:18 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the union mills model, in fact I have one on my shopping list  :claphappy:

That's good to know because I would like one too (shhh, don't tell anyone, I've got a reputation to maintain!!!!  :-[ ).

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »
Not a problem I wont tell a soul.

Lately I have found it hard to get my modelling mojo back again, maybe a spot of retail therapy might help, but being a tight as two coats of paint, maybe it wont.  :-[

I think I need though from Union Mills a 3F, G2 and maybe a Cauliflower?

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »
3F and 2P will do me for the moment but like you, I'm skint at the moment...  :(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:28 pm »
Ok, I think its time a couple of these locomotives are introduced properly.

Above is a D49 Hunt class variant. I've just done my initial fitting of the handrails but it looks like I need to do a little tweaking around the smokebox front. This variant of the D49 class used rotary cam operated Lentz poppet valves so I'll be doing some trimming and altering of the valve gear when I pluck up the courage! I don't know which member of the class this will be yet but hopefully the future owner will know this when I remember to ask them! I do know it needs to be painted in BR mixed traffic black however.

This one is one of the original Shire builds which I've just finished fettling and will be receiving its handrails in the next day or two. The key visual differences on the body are, the lack of steam reverser on the side of the boiler, the box on the running plate above the expansion link, lack of outside steam pipes and only one lubricator. Luckily the Shires used Walschaerts valve gear so no alterations are needed on this one! This one is for me and will become Lincolnshire as it was briefly allocated to Kings Cross between 1928-29; in my universe, it remained as a Kings Cross locomotive into the 1930s and will be seen on Pullman and semi-fast links - the only unknown at this point is whether I adopt the pre or post 1928 apple green livery.

Most of the D49s had stepped out tenders and one to fit over the Dapol motor is being worked on. Lincolnshire was definitely paired with an early stepped tender and in all likelihood the Hunt will be too.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »
A little more progress but nothing to warrant a further picture. SWMBO is busy this Sunday so I've managed to get the handrails onto the D49 Shire as well.

Two locos down, three to go! Even better, once the K1's handrails are done, I have two nice easy runs with the K3s as these don't have to curve around and over the smokebox door!!!  :bounce:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »
Two more locos received handrails today, both K3s.

I did take a picture of the second loco which is from a Shapeways print for comparison but it didn't come out too well.

Four locomotives with c. 100 handrail knobs, of which I am now out of. Scary when you think I've increased the net worth of each locomotive by around 8 by doing that!

Need some more to sort out the K1 now... and I placed an order with N brass this morning for some more lamp brackets!!!!  :doh:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:52:04 pm by Atso »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »
To more locos received handrails today, both K3s.

I did take a picture of the second loco which is from a Shapeways print for comparison but it didn't come out too well.

Four locomotives with c. 100 handrail knobs, of which I am now out of. Scary when you think I've increased the net worth of each locomotive by around 8 by doing that!

Need some more to sort out the K1 now... and I placed an order with N brass this morning for some more lamp brackets!!!!  :doh:

Brilliant just brilliant

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:51 pm »
Brilliant just brilliant

Thanks Paul!  :D But did you really just compliment an LNER locomotive!!!  ;) :P

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »
Hi Steve

Awesome work!

Regards

Roy

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 06:37:12 am »
Brilliant just brilliant

Thanks Paul!  :D But did you really just compliment an LNER locomotive!!!  ;) :P

I blame my age at 41 Im getting very old

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 08:52:44 am »
Thanks Roy! I'm not sure it ranks as awesome but I'm happy with how these are turning out.  :D

That explains it then! I've got a smidge over half a decade to go until I get as forgetful as you then!  :P Changing the subject slight, how's the lining out of your locomotives going?

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:06 am »
Thanks Roy! I'm not sure it ranks as awesome but I'm happy with how these are turning out.  :D

That explains it then! I've got a smidge over half a decade to go until I get as forgetful as you then!  :P Changing the subject slight, how's the lining out of your locomotives going?

Sorry who are you again, my memory is not what is use to, sorry who are you again, are you Nurse........

I have taken a break from it, I have most of the major parts for the Fowler and Stanier loco completed, I had a little free time last night and the DO said I could play with my trains, so I weathered my new Stove R's and Collett Brake

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 10:48:14 am »
Sorry who are you again, my memory is not what is use to, sorry who are you again, are you Nurse........

All you need to remember is that I am call sir, I am in charge and your job is to do exactly as I say....  >:D >:D >:D :smiley-laughing:

I have taken a break from it, I have most of the major parts for the Fowler and Stanier loco completed, I had a little free time last night and the DO said I could play with my trains, so I weathered my new Stove R's and Collett Brake

Fair enough, it sounds like you've got plenty of other things to keep you occupied until you're ready to go back to it. What you've done so far does look very good!

...Look, you've got me at it now! Complimenting LMS locomotives, what is the world coming to! Nurse! I need my pills, quick! Quick, I say!!!!  :help:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:08:28 am by Atso »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:34 am »
The last time I called anyone Sir, it was at the Matron at School, a fine woman she was too, she had a jolly impressive beard too, very distinctive, good hips on her..........any way I digress

I might do some more work on the loco's tonight, that's if I'm deemed a good boy and the DO lets me.

I think I'm getting a bit of a thing for LNER loco's I was contemplating the other day, about a A3 thingy bob, was one called Columbo, great detective maybe a reason to have a loco?

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything