!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 14822 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2017, 04:53:40 pm »
Very, very nice, Steve. Looks especially good in that little black number ;D

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2017, 04:56:59 pm »
Looks great. Well done.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »
Thanks guys, its been a hard slog but the end is finally in sight with these!

Looks especially good in that little black number ;D

Thanks Mick but I'm still unmoved on preferring this one...

Needs a new tender painting up though....

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2017, 07:45:27 pm »
Ok, one that hasn't been shown on here recently. Having found the various bits for the valve gear, I put the D49 Hunt's chassis back together so I don't lose the bits again. I've still got to pluck up the courage to modify the valve gear but below is a shot of how she looks at the moment.

Stunning!

The green one looks good too, but that's my favourite

Regards,

Roy

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »
Hi Steve

Cracking job, it has been great watching this come together. The loco is lovely in LNER green but it just looks sooooo good in BR lined black doesn't it?

Regards

Roy

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2017, 08:11:11 pm »
He just won't be told ::)
No lass got anywhere by wearing a little apple green number :no: ;)

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2017, 06:03:49 am »
Thanks guys, its been a hard slog but the end is finally in sight with these!

Wow, these models set an amazing standard! Well done - you must be justifiably very proud of them.

Mike

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »
Well I guess with regard to you guys, there is no accounting for taste!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

At least I've found somebody who prefers the apple green one on another forum; apparently it is epic!  :-[

Wow, these models set an amazing standard! Well done - you must be justifiably very proud of them.

Thanks Mike, I'm not sure that they are an amazing standard but I do try to emulate and get as close as I can to the standards that some others achieve on here. Dr Al, The Brighton, Ozymandias and Paul Price amongst others all deserve credit with providing inspiration with their wonderful creations.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »
Steve, you're up there with the best of them.

Best regards,

Joe

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2017, 10:16:47 am »
Steve, you're up there with the best of them.

Thanks Joe. I honestly don't feel like that most of the time, always having to fudge, bodge and rescue models!

Speaking of which, having successfully remove numbers/letters from several locos, I'd had a bit of a disaster on a couple of the Dapol A3 tenders - one being my emergency backup spare! In a nutshell I'd managed to strip the paint from around the tender lettering, which isn't a problem until you realise that the correct scale lettering is much smaller than Dapol's (although the cab numbers are much closer). Therefore I thought I'd try and patch paint the affected area with a brush - big disaster! Trying to get a good enough match to simply overpaint the black areas was impossible and numerous attempts with a brush made the whole thing look messy and required me to rub the whole lot carefully down (taking some of the lining with it! grrrr!).

In the end the solution was to forget trying to get an exact paint match and use Precision Doncaster Green paint. The area was rubbed back down and carefully masked to preserve, as best as possible, the remaining lining before spraying the whole area using an airbrush. The paint isn't an exact match but by using the lining to separate the two shades of green, it really isn't noticeable at normal view distance and lighting conditions. However, it did cause the inner white line of the lining to become a bit thin in places so I had to re-instate it using my offset bow compass set. Overall I think it result isn't bad for a rescue job done in desperation and I'll get in with the spare tender body in due course.

I didn't take a before picture of the repaired tender, but the spare (pictured below) is pretty much in the condition the repaired one started in.

The repaired paint finish to the other tender:

I need to varnish and letter the tender now and finally get on with finishing Enterprise! I think a little weathering will blend the whole lot in nicey.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:26 am »
The key with patch painting is always to paint up to a defined edge - lining, a corner, a handrail, etc. This is a visual break for the eye and therefore any slight difference in paint pigment is not anywhere nearly as apparent.

Also patch painting via a masked panel via airbrush can really be more controlled and aid just blending over the areas, and allow the minimum amount of paint necessary to be applied.

Overcoating the whole surface with a uniform varnish at the end brings any differences in finish (satin, gloss or matt) together as invariably the paint will be more of less glossy than the factory finish.

Dapol printing is tougher than Farish, so tends to be more difficult to remove will not damaging the underlying surface I've found - I lost a bit on my Enterprise 60111 under one number. Slow and steady is the (frustratingly arduous) way.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:12:18 pm by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2017, 06:37:01 pm »
Thanks for that Alan, hopefully it'll all be ok once I've finished it!

Not had a huge amount of time for modelling recently but I have progressed a little bit with the LNER D49. She's going to be Yorkshire now as I cannot find anyone who produces plates for Lincolnshire and I really want one of those lovely works plates as fitted to The Middleton (and it's a nice easy locomotive number to remember!). Anyway, current condition of 'Yorkshire' is shown below.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2017, 07:34:35 pm »
Someone needs to have a chat with the Kings Cross cleaning crew about the state of 2425, it must have just finished a pretty intense turn to end up looking like this! 4744, just about in shot, looks spotless by comparison (although needing attention to her boiler bands!).

Following a bit of a down phase again mentally, I've been experimenting with weathering and wanted to tone down the lined black on the K3. Surprisingly, I've seen photographs of 1930's locomotives that aren't far off of this but they're probably the exception rather than the rule. The photograph actually makes the locomotive look a little dirtier than it really is but I'm happy with this as a first serious attempt at weathering and I've learnt some things that will be useful when I weather the BR condition locomotives (assuming the owner wants me to).

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2017, 08:05:54 pm »
Someone needs to have a chat with the Kings Cross cleaning crew about the state of 2425, it must have just finished a pretty intense turn to end up looking like this! 4744, just about in shot, looks spotless by comparison (although needing attention to her boiler bands!).

Following a bit of a down phase again mentally, I've been experimenting with weathering and wanted to tone down the lined black on the K3. Surprisingly, I've seen photographs of 1930's locomotives that aren't far off of this but they're probably the exception rather than the rule. The photograph actually makes the locomotive look a little dirtier than it really is but I'm happy with this as a first serious attempt at weathering and I've learnt some things that will be useful when I weather the BR condition locomotives (assuming the owner wants me to).

The weathering looks great to me, a brilliant first attempt

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2017, 09:05:58 pm »
The weathering looks great to me, a brilliant first attempt

Thank you Paul!  :D

Light is bad now but below is a picture of Yorkshire which is just about finished cosmetically. I've still got to sort out the loco to tender connections and make it run though!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything