!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 7225 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 12:15:12 pm »
Wot? No bias towards LNER?
 :hmmm:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 12:38:53 pm »

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

Well as I'm modelling the London end of the ECML in the 1930's some LNER influence is sure to come through!

Don't worry I've got a feasibility study to do at in the future for a non-LNER locomotive.  ;)

...but there is a J52 and A5 to finish designing first!!!!  :D :smiley-laughing:

(Besides, I said that is was a misnomer that I didn't like anything other than the LNER, not that I wasn't bias!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:11:31 pm by Atso »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:41 pm »
Any ideas why I'm going through all this hurt when there are some nice LNER liveried models available from Dapol?

Humorist.....?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:28 pm »

Good point LNER needs all the bias it can get.  :-X

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 07:43:52 pm »
Humorist.....?

Funnily enough, you were my top pick to answer that correctly!  :D

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:35 pm »
Funnily enough, you were my top pick to answer that correctly!  :D

Could only be that loco, as none other (IIRC) had a double chimney fitted. There are a number of interesting photos of it in "The Power of the A1s,A2s, and A3s", with all manner of smoke deflection and draughting experiments, few of which were asthetically elegent!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 08:41:31 pm »
Could only be that loco, as none other (IIRC) had a double chimney fitted. There are a number of interesting photos of it in "The Power of the A1s,A2s, and A3s", with all manner of smoke deflection and draughting experiments, few of which were asthetically elegent!

Yes it is Humorist c.1937. I've not got "The Power of the A1s, A2s and A3s" but the RTCS green series outlines all the various experiments attempted. I was tempted to go for the cut down smoke box door and single stovepipe chimney but in the end I copped out and went with the easier modification (although it could've saved me a complete repaint!).

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 08:49:21 pm »
Yes it is Humorist c.1937. I've not got "The Power of the A1s, A2s and A3s" but the RTCS green series outlines all the various experiments attempted. I was tempted to go for the cut down smoke box door and single stovepipe chimney but in the end I copped out and went with the easier modification (although it could've saved me a complete repaint!).

The wing deflectors (as later fitted in BR datys for brief periods) were the only asthetically pleasing experiment I think - all the others were pretty ugly! Even the final traditional deflectors it got weren't greatly flattering IMHO.

Worth grabbing the book if you can - mine was secondhand, and a wealth of good photos for reference.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
  • 2mm Association Number: 4874
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »
Looks good.

Is it to be Humorist?

Regards,

Roy Marshall

Apologies - commented before following the rest of the thread!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:26:25 pm by R Marshall »

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »

Good point LNER needs all the bias it can get.  :-X

Looks Nice Even Repainted    :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
The wing deflectors (as later fitted in BR datys for brief periods) were the only asthetically pleasing experiment I think - all the others were pretty ugly! Even the final traditional deflectors it got weren't greatly flattering IMHO.

Worth grabbing the book if you can - mine was secondhand, and a wealth of good photos for reference.

I think that the double chimney with no deflectors and round dome is the best combination (lucky I'm modelling it that way!) although I do think the earlier experiments did give a very different look to the A3. I also think the ACFI water heater experiments resulted in a very different, if not very aesthetically pleasing look.

If I come across a copy of the book at a reasonable price I'll very very tempted - although finding a place for it amongst all my other reference books could be interesting!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:59 am »
Looks Nice Even Repainted    :D

Good one! I've not heard that one before. However, I'm not sure if it is a compliment or not!!!!  :laughabovepost:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
Alls been a bit too quiet on here recently. I've been having another low spell in life but seem to be working my way out of it.

Humorist is still in the condition last reported on here and will most likely remain that way until this little lot is sorted out.

Much influence from Doncaster/Darlington in this picture. The plan is to try and get them all progressing at a similar rate before breaking out the airbrush for two or three days worth of spraying. Despite initial appearances, not all of these locos will end up in LNER livery. Several will be off to a new home once they've been finished in BR livery.

The K2 towards the back is one of mine. Mounted on an N class chassis, it's suffered a complete disintegration of its valve gear! I'm currently toying with the idea of adapting some 3MT valve gear I've got which, to be honest, would be more appropriate for this class of locomotive anyway.

Mid term plans may see some locomotives of Crew/Derby origin appearing on here in the future (Paul Price has already been informed  :smiley-laughing: )...

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 01:24:47 pm »
Alls been a bit too quiet on here recently. I've been having another low spell in life but seem to be working my way out of it.

Humorist is still in the condition last reported on here and will most likely remain that way until this little lot is sorted out.

Much influence from Doncaster/Darlington in this picture. The plan is to try and get them all progressing at a similar rate before breaking out the airbrush for two or three days worth of spraying. Despite initial appearances, not all of these locos will end up in LNER livery. Several will be off to a new home once they've been finished in BR livery.

The K2 towards the back is one of mine. Mounted on an N class chassis, it's suffered a complete disintegration of its valve gear! I'm currently toying with the idea of adapting some 3MT valve gear I've got which, to be honest, would be more appropriate for this class of locomotive anyway.

Mid term plans may see some locomotives of Crew/Derby origin appearing on here in the future (Paul Price has already been informed  :smiley-laughing: )...

How about producing a 3F to fit an older farish 4F chassis HINT HINT HINT

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
How about producing a 3F to fit an older farish 4F chassis HINT HINT HINT

A Fowler 3P and Stanier mogul (a popular choice at the moment!) are on my midterm hit list at the moment Paul but plenty of good old LNER stuff (and some American 4-4-2 contraption) to clear for other people first... What's wrong with the Union Mills 3F or are we thinking of different locos?

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here