!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 14821 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
My new locomotive works...
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »
Hi all,

Just a quick picture of what is currently going through the paint shop...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:55:07 pm »
I've been painting the bodies and highlighting some of the rivets. Some very cruel close up pictures, several times actual size...

Please note that for a change I've done no cleanup of the print lines as an experiment to see how these would come out. Tony Wright examined one at the NEC and couldn't see the build lines when viewed at actual size. For reference the J6s are 57mm long!

I've now got CAD for a later BR version of the class. However having had several days of continuous use, the printer now needs some maintenance and recalibration as the prints had dropped noticeably in quality. I hope to have a BR example going through the works later this week.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:27:51 pm »
What about LMS loco's

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:11:13 pm »
What about LMS loco's

The LMS made locos!?   :o :goggleeyes:  :smiley-laughing: :laughabovepost::P :P :P :P :beers:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:42:32 pm »
What about LMS loco's

Paul, I've just sent you a PM.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:16 pm »
These J6s seem like they're breeding! However, this one looks like its a little later in it's life than the previous two...

The differences between the 1930's condition J6s previously shown and this BR condition one include:

- Shorter chimney
- BR number plate and repositioned lamp bracket
- Step on the front of the footplate for the piston tail rods is gone
- Different style and location of boiler washout plugs at the back

A cruel close up which shows that these prints still have some print lines - these are almost invisible on this particular model from normal viewing distances and completely unnoticeable on the two that have had a few coats of paint added.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:31:20 pm by Atso »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:59 pm »
Hi Steve

It looks absolutely superb - top notch 3D printing and a really great prototype to choose!

Roy

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:24:39 pm »
Looking really good Steve. :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »
Yes, looking very good.  No Class H?!?!   :'(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:03 am »
It looks absolutely superb - top notch 3D printing and a really great prototype to choose!

Looking really good Steve. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Roy, I thought you'd like the choice of prototype! This little J6 model feels like it has it's own small production line going now!

Yes, looking very good.  No Class H?!?!   :'(

Thanks Tank! The H will need to be completely redesigned from the ground up to get the best results on this printer. Also, I'm not happy with the choice of the M7 as a donor chassis (solid wheels and variable performance between models) and so I am presently looking for a better option for this locomotive.

Due to poor sales, I'm not planning to update anymore models to Shapeways and, in the short term, I'm looking to make some small batches of models to sell (I was made redundant at the end of October). These will be made on my B9 Creator as I have direct control over the quality of prints.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:53:18 am by Atso »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 10:09:58 am »
When we buy a new locomotive we all expect it to work and....oh.....hang on.......is that not what you meant?  :oopssign: :confusedsign:

What price a K1, Steve?

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:25:08 am »
When we buy a new locomotive we all expect it to work and....oh.....hang on.......is that not what you meant?  :oopssign: :confusedsign:

What price a K1, Steve?

I'll PM you.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »
That's fair enough Steve.  It's good to hear that you'd rather sell a product that your only happy with yourself. :thumbsup:  One day...! :smiley-laughing:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 06:54:15 pm »
Thanks Tank.

Ok, for those of you who are sick of seeing the various incarnations of the loco end of the J6, I've got a new item...

Hot off the printer, roughly separated from the supports and a quick squirt of primer... Due to the funny angle I had to print at, I think this one will need a couple of spots touching up with some Mr Surfacer filler.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:58:18 pm by Atso »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
Just to prove that this thread hasn't died...

J6: The tender pictured above came under much scrutiny on another forum and was eventually decided that I'd managed to produce a hybrid of various GNR tender designs. Following a lot of blue language, the tender has been redesigned and, following a maintenance cycle, is currently being printed out to ensure that it still fits the drive unit!

In the meantime I've been having a bit of a play repainting a Dapol 'Gladiator' A3 into LNER apple green...

I've had this model for ages (bought as a category B model from DCC supplies for a very low price) and have been meaning to do this repaint for quite a while. Early days for this one; as can been seen from the above picture, I've started to line out the boiler and cab. I decided to keep things simple and emulate the slightly simplified Dapol LNER paint scheme rather than go 'all out' as I'm out of practice. The lowermost horizontal line on the cab will be added but my initial method for doing this didn't work out and so I need to wait for the existing lining to dry before having another go at it. The footplate has had the BR green painted out and I'll be lining out the front frames and painting the buffer stocks black once I've got the GNR tender to a similar state.

I've also repainted and started to line the wheels:

Believe it or not, I've actually lined the Cartazzi truck at the back... However I think that I need to go over this with a slightly thicker setting on the bow pen so that this is actually visible!

Any ideas why I'm going through all this hurt when there are some nice LNER liveried models available from Dapol?

Finally, I got one of this as a spare from DCC Supplies:

Firstly it shows that I've still got quite a bit of work to do on my repainted boiler before it's ready. Secondly, I'm looking forward to doing a boiler swap on one of my other A3s. Technically the streamlined dome is not correct for the locomotive I'm going to model but it's the closest thing to a mid 1930s banjo dome available.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything