!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: WooHoo! returning to Canada  (Read 927 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: WooHoo! returning to Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 10:42:46 am »
Bob,

It would be a major move. Dunno how old you are or how well off you are, but the older you get, it becomes pretty difficult.

Every time my wife and I go to Tasmania we look at real estate and think, OK, let's buy this and move here.

OK, 30 years ago, maybe. Getting too long in the tooth now to be bothered.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:11 am »
Hi Bealman I will be 70 years old next March and as I've said in other posts finances are very bad at the moment so any ideas of moving to Canada are all fantasies in my head ,I know it will never happen but I can dream.
At least I've been once ?
I've ALLWAYS wanted to go since I was about five years old and we done a project at school .
I don't think I will get another holiday now not even in the UK.
But I've got my family a lovely little dog but more important I've got my railway to ( play with ) sorry operate and I've got reasonable health so I can't grumble.
Bob

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:46 am »
Yep, stick with what you, know, Bob.

All the best  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 11:51:11 am »
Hi Bealman I will be 70 years old next March and as I've said in other posts finances are very bad at the moment so any ideas of moving to Canada are all fantasies in my head ,I know it will never happen but I can dream.
At least I've been once ?
I've ALLWAYS wanted to go since I was about five years old and we done a project at school .
I don't think I will get another holiday now not even in the UK.
But I've got my family a lovely little dog but more important I've got my railway to ( play with ) sorry operate and I've got reasonable health so I can't grumble.
Bob

You never know what will happen Bob, I know I'm very lucky to have the option.  I've moved internationally twice now and its a horrible experience (were hoping this time it will be easier as at least we dont have any citizenship  / immigration issues this time).  We'll get a lot more house for our $ in the Kootenays than we have here and my Daughter loves nature so where better to be.  I'll try and post pics after move regularly.  I didnt find Canada any more expensive that the UK (in fact for many things its cheaper) but that does depend on where you live and if your willing to be a bit remote, but if you are remote then you REALLY are remote :)  Luckily I still havent lost my Canadian sense of distance and I'm thinking of the 3.5hr drive to Kelowna as just next door (I used to commute 100km daily in Nova Scotia and a 200k drive wasnt unusual to have a breakfast meeting with colleagues once in a while :)  I miss those!  And just to make you feel a bit better I have two words COLD - SNOW  :D :D

Cheers

Graham

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 07:31:07 am »
COLD-SNOW also means excellent skiing and there is some excellent skiing in the Kootenays and just up the road in the Okanagan if you are into that sort of thing. Canadians do know how to deal with cold so you won't suffer. I don't much like cities so a town like Castlegar would suit me just fine.
All seriousness aside, I'm looking forward to having another modeller doing CP in southern BC if you should go that way.
Webbo

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 08:40:47 am »
Hi,

Just to say good luck with the move. I thought Surrey to Hampshire for us was stressful enough.

Shame about the layout but exciting for the new build.

Have googled some of the places mentioned as know nothing of Canada. The area looks lovely.

Put this pic in to keep it railway...

http://www.stationmuseum.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/crp-4057.jpg

Again, good luck,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Croxy

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 11:42:23 pm »
Well BC is beautiful....as are many parts of Canada......funny though, as I get close to retirement I find myself sometimes considering moving back to the UK.....really been here all my life but was born there....still have family there......sometimes though the idea of something is better than the reality.....hope you have a successful move.....get ready for the Tim Hortons drive through..... :)
If you like it run it......

Offline Croxy

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 11:44:21 pm »
A Canadian adventure is very much on the cards for Mr & Mrs Bealman in the near future, so I might just do a Webbo too!  :thumbsup:

If you do come and are going to be in the Toronto area let me know! We could meet up and perhaps go to a couple of Model Rail shops in the area!!!
If you like it run it......

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:55 am »
Good luck with the move Graham.

I moved 16 years ago from the UK to the USA and have no regrets. I do enjoy going back to visit friends and family and I do miss some foods. I will say wild horses couldn't drag me back there to live.

I'm sure you will build a new layout and it will be bigger and better.

Jamie

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 08:11:41 am »
Thanks Jamie,

I'm not sure the new layout will be bigger, but it will be better 😀

I'm feeling the same way, wild horses can't keep me here!  As for foods, I'm gutted to say that I've become intolerant to marmite ( which I love) so even the food isn't so much of a draw anymore.

That said I'd almost kill for a slice of pumpkin pie this time of year!? 😀😀😀

Online mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 10:26:14 pm »
It's exciting to know that people are heading off on new adventures - best wishes and happy modelling when you get there!

Donald

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 10:43:52 pm »
Thanks Jamie,

I'm feeling the same way, wild horses can't keep me here!  As for foods, I'm gutted to say that I've become intolerant to marmite ( which I love) so even the food isn't so much of a draw anymore.

Graham

You will get used to peanut butter instead of your marmite. As for pumpkin pie - top stuff. They put too much sugar in it here in Oz for optimal taste. My farmer's wife in Deadwood has been making pumpkin pies for the last month or so and I understand that they are top notch. When you get to Castlegar I will see if I can get her to a pie or two down to you if you like.

Webbo

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »
Thanks Jamie,

Graham

You will get used to peanut butter instead of your marmite. As for pumpkin pie - top stuff. They put too much sugar in it here in Oz for optimal taste. My farmer's wife in Deadwood has been making pumpkin pies for the last month or so and I understand that they are top notch. When you get to Castlegar I will see if I can get her to a pie or two down to you if you like.

Webbo

I'm lucky that my wife loves pumpkin pie and makes a mean one so she cant wait to make me one!, maybe I'll have to supply the pie next time your in the area!

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »
Just and update for those who are interested.

we have a condition purchase offer for a place in Salmon Arm :)   we just need to sell our house here in the UK (anyone want a nice Grade II listed cottage in Gloucestershire? !! :D )

Cant wait to move, there is a basement, but my layout will have to be smaller (but maybe I'll get it done then!) and Salmon Arm is on the CP main through BC !! :) :)

but of course I'm suffering significant withdrawal on working on the layout and will have to rip it all up when we have a sale agreed :(

Graham

Online mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:07 pm »
Couple of eeks! in there, but scary in a good way, surely.

Working on a layout knowing you will be ripping it up doesn't sound super satisfying. Maybe you could get some of it into modules, so you could at least half-believe you could take them with you?

Good news on the house front though!

Donald

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here