!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: WooHoo! returning to Canada  (Read 931 times)

Offline grumbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
WooHoo! returning to Canada
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Well,

Despite having a lovely house, my family and I have decided that Britain is not where we want to be so were going to be returning to Canada in the (hopefully) first half of next year.  I'm upset that my railroad will have to be ripped up (again!!) but things just aren't working here for us so its a bittersweet return.  I'm going to remain active here but I'll have more local information :)  were looking at returning to the Kootenay region in British Columbia as my wife is a BC gal, I'll only be a couple of hours away from both the CN / CP transcon mainlines and were hoping to live in Castlegar which is on the CP Nelson sub and close to the CP southern mainline from the States so I'll be sure to post pictures when I get settled.

Its also important to my wife that we find a house with room for a railroad for me so I'll be back in the  planning stage as soon as we have a house..

Just wanted to share really

Graham

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
Re: WooHoo! returning to Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:03 am »
Good luck with the move Graham, but is it not the wrong time to sell up due to the exchange rates, but hey if one has to go.  :thumbsup:
Geoff

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:32:54 am »
Good luck with the move Graham, but is it not the wrong time to sell up due to the exchange rates, but hey if one has to go.  :thumbsup:

The rate right now is about the same as when we moved over and the house has appreciated.. so its time to go.. the CDN / GBP exchange rate has been fairly stable lately though I wouldnt object if it climbed to 2:1 :)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:03:19 pm »
Good luck with the move Grumbeast I visited Calgary and Lake Loise a couple of years ago and part of me wishes I could move over myself because I thought it was beautiful even in the December snow ,but Val my wife said it was far too cold especially when we got back to the Hotel at 11/30 am  after a walk next to the lake, we  put the tele on to find out the temperature was minus 35 degrees at that time in the morning ,it was the coldest spell that they had had for many years.
But it was a wonderful holiday of a lifetime paid for by my son,  my first and probably only time I will go abroad.
Bob

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:11:02 pm »
Hi, Graham.

New layout building adventure awaits you!!
Good luck with the moving, Graham!

Dats

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:00 pm »
Good luck with the move Grumbeast I visited Calgary and Lake Loise a couple of years ago and part of me wishes I could move over myself because I thought it was beautiful even in the December snow ,but Val my wife said it was far too cold especially when we got back to the Hotel at 11/30 am  after a walk next to the lake, we  put the tele on to find out the temperature was minus 35 degrees at that time in the morning ,it was the coldest spell that they had had for many years.
But it was a wonderful holiday of a lifetime paid for by my son,  my first and probably only time I will go abroad.
Bob

Glad you enjoyed the trip Bob and thanks for the good wishes.  To be honest where I'm moving is quite a bit milder.  It might get down to -35 occasionally but the average high in winter tends to be more -5 to -10 so not so bad (It was much colder on average in Nova Scotia where I used to live).  The fun and tough thing moving to the mountains is that it gets A LOT of snow, my daughter will love it.  You should tell your wife that you should try and visit in summer, itll be 30+

If you were going to go abroad once in your life then Canada would be the place I would choose and Lake Louise is glorious

Cheers

G

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 02:45:10 pm »
Now you know the UK is not for you and your wife, it makes perfect sense to move to where you will be happier. I hope once you are settled in your new home you keep us up to date with your new layouts progress and are able to do some railfanning to take and share the occasional picture of those beasts of locos.

Cheers John.

:toot:

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »
Thanks John,

Rest assured I love this forum and I'll continue to share layouts and railfanning pictures.  I'll be in CP territory where I was previously in CNs so expect lots of red locomotives!  I've already started scouting out good photo locations within a couple of hours of where were moving using google earth

G

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
Hi Graham

I also want to wish you Good Luck with your move back to Canada.  Hope you can get your layout back up and running very quickly!

Kind regards

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 02:12:44 am »
We moved back in August, but to Ottawa. I'm originally from BC (Kamloops), but my wife's work is in Ottawa, which is fortunate, as I had no trouble getting a contract for myself. Still sorting the house out, but my boys convinced their mother that a certain basement room would be the "train room."  :bounce:

Today was our first snowfall in almost 5 years (had a bit of snow in London in 2012). The kids were in heaven.

Best of luck on the move. Don't forget to have your ducks in a row for Canada Customs!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 03:14:24 am »
Great stuff Graham

The Kootenays are a beautiful part of the world as you probably already know. Mountains and lakes and not far from the Rockies. My sister lives in Salmon Arm north of Castlegar and right on the CP main line. In fact, her townhouse sits so close that you can sit on the back veranda and watch the trains go by which I spent a lot of time doing when I visited her a year ago. You never know, but next time I visit her, I might just pop down and see how your railway is getting on.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 03:30:58 am »
A Canadian adventure is very much on the cards for Mr & Mrs Bealman in the near future, so I might just do a Webbo too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 09:03:46 am »
We moved back in August, but to Ottawa. I'm originally from BC (Kamloops), but my wife's work is in Ottawa, which is fortunate, as I had no trouble getting a contract for myself. Still sorting the house out, but my boys convinced their mother that a certain basement room would be the "train room."  :bounce:

Today was our first snowfall in almost 5 years (had a bit of snow in London in 2012). The kids were in heaven.

Best of luck on the move. Don't forget to have your ducks in a row for Canada Customs!

Good luck with Ottawa!, my wife's from BC too, North Van but her family are all from the Okanagan.  We've done the Canada Customs thing before so I know what you mean, things'll be easier this time as we're all Canadian citizens this time (I was still British last time). 

Sounds like your boys have their heads screwed on right!, I'm lucky in that space for the layout is one of the important criteria that my wife is using as we house search

Looking forward to the snow, didnt think I'd miss it when we moved to the UK but we all do

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 09:26:37 am »
Great stuff Graham

The Kootenays are a beautiful part of the world as you probably already know. Mountains and lakes and not far from the Rockies. My sister lives in Salmon Arm north of Castlegar and right on the CP main line. In fact, her townhouse sits so close that you can sit on the back veranda and watch the trains go by which I spent a lot of time doing when I visited her a year ago. You never know, but next time I visit her, I might just pop down and see how your railway is getting on.

Webbo

Hopefully by the time you visit again I'll have something running.. upset about having to rip the layout up, but excited about building a new one.  Some of my wife's folks are from all over the Okanagan from OK falls to Vernon.  Your Sisters place sounds perfect!,   Cant wait to be back in the mountains

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 10:25:24 am »
Your making me so envious ,I want to go to Canada as well. But like you it will mean scrapping my layout which has evolved over many years ,and I couldn't afford to start all over again .
We havnt got a lot here in the UK but what we have got we've worked hard for,and it's all paid for, and in our financial state we would have less if we moved to Canada ,but what lovely scenery and wildlife we would have ,plus beautifull clean fresh air.
Now I'm dreaming ,I have the live webcams of Lake Loise and Banff on my IPad and often dream I'm there again.By the way did you know that Banff stands for
BE AWARE NOTHING FOR FREE.
MORE RUBISH But that's what I'm best at.
Bob

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything