!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 31 only runs one way  (Read 1197 times)

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Class 31 only runs one way
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
Probably the best plan to send it back Murray. I have always used the argument that if it doesn't work out of the box then it goes back for repairs or replacement.
I object to being the manufacturer's quality and repair department.
Just sorry you've had this problem just as you're getting into N gauge.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »

Just a thought. If you haven't yet packed the loco up for return, could you try switching off the lights using the circuit board switches. If indeed it is somehow the failed LED that is the problem would doing this take it out of circuit and so eliminate the issue and allow the loco to run in both directions? Although it would be best to return it at least you would know for future reference, as would those of us following the problems you have suffered.

Izzy

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 08:25:53 pm »
The fault will be that one of the three diodes on the underside of the board has gone open circuit. If you have a meter put it onto continuity and put the probes either side of each one.  The one that completes the circuit and causes the constant beep will be the culprit! 

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
Murray,
Some questions!

I have removed the circuit board and run power directly to the motor
Did you disconnect the motor feed wires from the board to do this? If not, was the DCC blanking plug in?

I have also shifted the DCC blanking plug as suggested by Clive - that made no difference.
Does 'no difference' mean all the original faults - i.e. the motor and lights working in only one direction?

If any of the lights worked with sockets 5 and 6 isolated then there's a connection somewhere that shouldn't exist.

Anyway - send it back!!

Cheers

Clive

Offline Murray B

• N Gauge Society Number: 4062
  • 2mm Association Number: 2016
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:05 am »
Thanks for your further thoughts - I have replied below.  Loco going back.
Probably the best plan to send it back Murray. I have always used the argument that if it doesn't work out of the box then it goes back for repairs or replacement.
I object to being the manufacturer's quality and repair department.
Just sorry you've had this problem just as you're getting into N gauge.
 :beers:
I agree with your argument.  The loco ran OK and it was only when crossing into an isolated section of track that I noticed that it stopped too soon indicating that one bogey wasn't picking up.  Continuity check confirmed that one side of one bogey wasn't picking up so I thought that the problem would just be wipers which I should be able to fix and, at the same time learn something about dismantling the bogey which could be useful in the future.  I have learnt a lot more than anticipated!

Just a thought. If you haven't yet packed the loco up for return, could you try switching off the lights using the circuit board switches. If indeed it is somehow the failed LED that is the problem would doing this take it out of circuit and so eliminate the issue and allow the loco to run in both directions? Although it would be best to return it at least you would know for future reference, as would those of us following the problems you have suffered.

Izzy

Yes, I had tried that.  With the LEDs switched off, the loco still only ran in one direction.

Did you disconnect the motor feed wires from the board to do this? If not, was the DCC blanking plug in?

The motor is fed by copper wipers from the board so removing the board automatically disconnects the motor from it.

I have also shifted the DCC blanking plug as suggested by Clive - that made no difference.
Does 'no difference' mean all the original faults - i.e. the motor and lights working in only one direction?

No LEDs in either direction and the motor still only ran in one direction.

The fault will be that one of the three diodes on the underside of the board has gone open circuit. If you have a meter put it onto continuity and put the probes either side of each one.  The one that completes the circuit and causes the constant beep will be the culprit! 

Ouch - too technical for me I'm afraid.  Whilst I understand continuity checks, I can't (yet) distinguish a diode from a resistor (unless it lights up!)

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 11:01:30 am »
Diode is the large black square thing under the board, there are three of them next to each other..

Offline CliveH

• N Gauge Society Number: 20425
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:39 pm »

Found this on the interweb.

Is this the same PCB as in your 31? Are those switches (S1 & S2) adjacent to the M+ and M- links, and if so, what do they switch?

Cheers

Clive

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 05:28:54 pm »
Thats a 31 pcb, the switches turn lights headcode on and off

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
 Perhaps a few shots will help illustrate things a bit for those who haven't got the latest Farish 31's. Sorry they aren't any better than my usual quality, I have just taken them quickly now using flash in the midst of other work on the workbench, so aplogies..

These show how the bogies plug into the chassis and the electrical connections. As you can see the circuit board is quite 'busy' and well populated with bits. I believe this is to allow for different lighting configurations depending on body type/era. You can see spare connections exist at the cab ends. The switches are to allow each ends lights to be turned off separately.

Being a bit 'numpty' on the electronics front I haven't tried to trace the circuit board runs. Anyone more knowledgeable would no doubt be able to work it all out. Luckily both my examples - one green, one blue - work ok.

Oh, the tiny decoder is one of the small CT chips. Performance is just the same as with the larger CT76.

cheers,

Izzy

Offline Murray B

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »
And to finally round it off:   phoned the well know Cornish retailer from whence it came.  Instant reaction - "sounds like a circuit board issue - send it back".   They had no other models in stock in that colour scheme so swapped the body onto a new chassis/bogeys.  It was back to me in 72 hours plus a credit for the postage incurred.   No hassle - good service from the retailer.  Loco running properly.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »
That's good to know, Murray, and such service should be recognised by naming the retailer.
Kernow, by any chance?

Offline Murray B

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:31 pm »
Correct

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 02:40:58 pm »
such service should be recognised by naming the retailer.

That certainly was good service and I agree with NPN - we need to know the 'good' people as well as the 'bad' and 'ugly'.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
Just received a class 31 (as the Green FYE ones are currently at bargain prices)

Tested and it only runs in one direction, completely dead the other way including lights

On its way back for exchange, looks like these are not the best as this fault is happening enough to be highlighted on forums

Let's see how I get on with the replacement

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here